Apple TV + DVR Recorded Playback!

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Apple TV + DVR Recorded Playback!

Post by nickk »

Apple TV Recorded Playback is up and Running
Update IIe of our Apple TV app is available today - now you can watch live TV and play back recordings. Use your iPhone, iPad, or Android device to schedule.

Apple TV 4K with ATSC 3.0 Support
We are also excited to announce that the new HDHomeRun app supports ATSC 3.0 live and recorded TV content on the Apple TV 4K. If you have a CONNECT 4K or are planning on getting one, your Apple TV 4K will support it!

darcilicious

Re: Apple TV + DVR Recorded Playback!

Post by darcilicious »

I've confirmed that I have the 20201102 app installed on my ApplTV 4K This app doesn't tune ATSC 3. 0 channels if you have another tuner (e.g. EXTEND) on your network (and the EXTEND's tuners are free). I tried to go into settings to maybe have it ignore the EXTEND but there aren't any settings available.

Not a usable app in my environment.

roboehmke

Post by roboehmke »

I just set a program to record all episodes of my iPad. My iPad is not on all the time so where will the episodes be recorded to? Thank you

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

roboehmke wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:13 pm I just set a program to record all episodes of my iPad. My iPad is not on all the time so where will the episodes be recorded to? Thank you
Yes, recordings you schedule using your iPad will record on your recording device without further involvement from the iPad. Once recorded you can watch on your AppleTV or your iPad.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

darcilicious wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:00 pm I've confirmed that I have the 20201102 app installed on my ApplTV 4K This app doesn't tune ATSC 3. 0 channels if you have another tuner (e.g. EXTEND) on your network (and the EXTEND's tuners are free). I tried to go into settings to maybe have it ignore the EXTEND but there aren't any settings available.

Not a usable app in my environment.
We are working on a better solution but for now you can turn off channels in the EXTEND that have the same virtual channel number as ATSC3 channels on your 4K. To turn off channels go to the device webpage of the EXTEND, Channel Lineup, and click the star beside a channel twice.

Nick

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

nickk wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:24 pm for now you can turn off channels in the EXTEND that have the same virtual channel number as ATSC3 channels on your 4K.

Nick
Got it, thanks!

roboehmke

Post by roboehmke »

nickk wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:21 pm
roboehmke wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:13 pm I just set a program to record all episodes of my iPad. My iPad is not on all the time so where will the episodes be recorded to? Thank you
Yes, recordings you schedule using your iPad will record on your recording device without further involvement from the iPad. Once recorded you can watch on your AppleTV or your iPad.

Nick
“iPad will record on your recording device“. Is the iPad the recording device? I would rather have it recorded to my Mac if possible. Do I have to set recordings there instead?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

roboehmke wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:52 pm Yes, recordings you schedule using your iPad will record on your recording device without further involvement from the iPad. Once recorded you can watch on your AppleTV or your iPad.
“iPad will record on your recording device“. Is the iPad the recording device? I would rather have it recorded to my Mac if possible. Do I have to set recordings there instead?
Your iPad is for viewing and for setting up what to record. Your recording device (Mac?) does the actual recording. Then you can watch the recording on your iPad.

Nick

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

darcilicious wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:30 pm
nickk wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:24 pm for now you can turn off channels in the EXTEND that have the same virtual channel number as ATSC3 channels on your 4K.

Nick
Got it, thanks!
This app just isn't ready for primetime. 8.1 doesn't even show up in the "guide" listing now. I just restarted the app, it's trying to tune the last channel tuned before I restarted (12.1) but there's only a black screen and the app is totally unresponsive. No audio on any of the six ATSC 3.0 channels that are in the guide (there should be seven channels in the guide); and finally, on 2.1 a ton of video stuttering/dropped frames.

ATSC 1.0 channels have audio.

And across the board, the video is very washed out.

I guess I'm waiting for the next update.

-Rob-

Post by -Rob- »

All the live channels looked washed-out when displayed on either a 1080P LED or 4K OLED display. The picture quality is well-below the standard of the iOS app and even worse than the macOS app.

The audio suffers from an echo too, ranging from an almost imperceptible amount to full-on echo chamber.

As for the user interface, if I select the hamburger symbol at the far right of the control bar, taking me to the Live / Record page the UI freezes with Live greyed-out. Using the Menu button from this page crashes out of the app.

Not good, not good at all.

Techvert

Post by Techvert »

nickk wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:47 pm Apple TV Recorded Playback is up and Running
Update IIe of our Apple TV app is available today - now you can watch live TV and play back recordings. Use your iPhone, iPad, or Android device to schedule.

Apple TV 4K with ATSC 3.0 Support
We are also excited to announce that the new HDHomeRun app supports ATSC 3.0 live and recorded TV content on the Apple TV 4K. If you have a CONNECT 4K or are planning on getting one, your Apple TV 4K will support it!
Is the HDHomerun app available for Apple TV in the UK

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

darcilicious wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:34 pm No audio on any of the six ATSC 3.0 channels that are in the guide (there should be seven channels in the guide); and finally, on 2.1 a ton of video stuttering/dropped frames.

ATSC 1.0 channels have audio.
For ATSC 3.0 audio you need one of the newer Apple TV 4K models.

Nick

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

That’s exactly what I am using. I get Dolby Atmos working just fine on Netflix (or at least their version of it). I did get audio once or twice with the app, but not anymore. I have power cycled the tuner once so far but saw / heard no improvement.

P.S. If the Apple TV HD is not going to support ATSC 3.0 channels, then it should automatically tune using the ATSC 1.0 tuners within the CONNECT 4K (for dual broadcasted channels).

marks

Post by marks »

Thank you for the DVR playback on Apple TV support!!!! Your hard work and talent really shows.

phongzie

Post by phongzie »

Does the Apple TV app support DRM yet?