Puchased DVR - Cannot Install on NAS "SMBD not found"

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
vbyte

Re: Puchased DVR - Cannot Install on NAS "SMBD not found"

Post by vbyte »

demonrik wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:59 pm
vbyte wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 pm I tried downloading and manually installing demonrik's installer package but when I click to open the app, I get a message with the IP address and says "refused to connect".
I assume by click to open the app you mean the icon on the QTS desktop
This is a known issue - originally posted here viewtopic.php?p=186338#p186338
but fast forward a few years and now QNAP have added an option, so no need to go to SSH
Under Control Panel -> Applications -> Webserver
make sure to uncheck 'Do not allow Web Server embedding in iFrames' and Apply
OR you can simply navigate to http://<your nas ip address>/HDHomeRunDVR and not worry about the embedding

On the smbd issues - while waiting for nick here are some things to check
first check windows sharing is enabled in Control Panel -> Network & File Services -> Win/Mac/NFS
Next is to check that there is no bad default in the privileges
Control Panel -> Privilege -> Shared Folder
Over on right of each share listed are 3 icons - middle one should be (you can hover to confirm) 'Edit Shared Folder Permission'
Select the one for you HDHomeRun share
This will open a new dialog box - in the top is a drop down box, select 'Microsoft Networking host access'
Make sure you select your share in the left pane - and then you should see either blanks in the right pane, or some IP addresses combos.. Ideally it's either the IP address of your PC, or a network address (e.g. 192.168.0.1/24)
Thing here is basically with new security counsellor they've started warning about this - but not sure if they do any lock down yet, but can see it coming if not already hitting (just doing latest firmware update - third in less than a week :()

Anyway, best of luck.
Demonrik, thank you for your help on this!

With regards to the QNAP app, when I attempt to launch the app, I receive the following message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /HDHomeRunDVR on this server.

I also tried navigating directly as you suggested but receive a message "404 Not Found".

Are you aware of these errors and if there is any way to fix them?

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377, 108042A1

Post by demonrik »

vbyte wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:54 pm Demonrik, thank you for your help on this!

With regards to the QNAP app, when I attempt to launch the app, I receive the following message:

Forbidden

I also tried navigating directly as you suggested but receive a message "404 Not Found".

This is usually because the web server user doesn't have sufficient privileges to look at the folder.
You can confirm if it's working by looking at the log files in /HDHomeRunDVR.. And if it's running, then we need to figure out why the web server isn't.
@beerman reported something similar going on with his install too.
So many things changing around permissions with QNAP because of all the attacks on QNAP NASes right now, so something has likely changed for you.. not sure why it's not for others.

Just a quick note that it is expected that you use either use QPKG, container, or silicon dust installer - and not all at once. its gets confusing because the record engine checks if it's already running and if it is it won't run.. and then you need to figure out which of the 3 install methods is the one that started it!

Assuming you want to persist with the QPKG, lets see if I can get some info and provide a few tips top look at
First - which QNAP model? just trying to determine if it's an oldie or newer :)
Next If you haven't changed the web server settings, it's sometimes been good to restore the default configuration, and to restore the default php.ini.. I've seen these get corrupted.
Also check the php.ini (Edit) and make sure there is no entry for 'open_basedir' in the main [PHP] section.. I mean no entry, not open_basedir set to empty.
Check if the /share/HDHomeRunDVR folder is setup with administrator as group owner via ls in ssh session

Code: Select all

# ls -l /share/HDHomeRunDVR/
total 1500
-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin           1003   19624 2020-08-07 14:26 20200807.log
-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin administrators 1511164 2020-07-02 00:00 hdhomerun_record*
See the 1003 as group - that's bad.. it needs to be administrators - so you can run

chown -R hdhomerundvr:administrators /share/HDHomeRunDVR/*
And finally if still not working we may need to add the httpdusr to the /HDHomeRunDVR share. this is a little tricky. The command in an admin ssh command I believe is

addshare HDHomeRunDVR /share/HDHomeRunDVR -ur:httpdusr

vbyte

Post by vbyte »

demonrik wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:06 pm
vbyte wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:54 pm Demonrik, thank you for your help on this!

Forbidden

This is usually because the web server user doesn't have sufficient privileges to look at the folder.
You can confirm if it's working by looking at the log files in /HDHomeRunDVR.. And if it's running, then we need to figure out why the web server isn't.
@beerman reported something similar going on with his install too.
So many things changing around permissions with QNAP because of all the attacks on QNAP NASes right now, so something has likely changed for you.. not sure why it's not for others.

Just a quick note that it is expected that you use either use QPKG, container, or silicon dust installer - and not all at once. its gets confusing because the record engine checks if it's already running and if it is it won't run.. and then you need to figure out which of the 3 install methods is the one that started it! Apologies, I was indeed a bit confused by this. I thought the QPKG installer provided additional functionality. I guess I no longer need this/the app in the NAS as I was able to use the HDHomerun installer and record to my QNAP NAS.

Assuming you want to persist with the QPKG, lets see if I can get some info and provide a few tips top look at
First - which QNAP model? just trying to determine if it's an oldie or newer :) TS-453Be
Next If you haven't changed the web server settings, it's sometimes been good to restore the default configuration, and to restore the default php.ini.. I've seen these get corrupted.
Also check the php.ini (Edit) and make sure there is no entry for 'open_basedir' in the main [PHP] section.. I mean no entry, not open_basedir set to empty.
Check if the /share/HDHomeRunDVR folder is setup with administrator as group owner via ls in ssh session

# ls -l /share/HDHomeRunDVR/ [color=#FF0000]Sorry, i'm a bit of a novice and am not sure how to check code, where would I do this?[/color]
total 1500
-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin           1003   19624 2020-08-07 14:26 20200807.log
-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin administrators 1511164 2020-07-02 00:00 hdhomerun_record*
See the 1003 as group - that's bad.. it needs to be administrators - so you can run

chown -R hdhomerundvr:administrators /share/HDHomeRunDVR/*
And finally if still not working we may need to add the httpdusr to the /HDHomeRunDVR share. this is a little tricky. The command in an admin ssh command I believe is

addshare HDHomeRunDVR /share/HDHomeRunDVR -ur:httpdusr
Demonrik, see my comments above in red. My overall comment is I guess I don't need the QPKG installer/App which is something I didn't realize initially. That said, i'm still a bit curious how to access and check the code you mention. Where/how would I do that? Thanks again for your help.

SmcG

Post by SmcG »

Hello,

I am also a novice. I have a QNAP TS 677 with firmware 4.5.1.1465.

I have been able to install the HDHomeRun DVR using the windows installer. The product is working and recording and using File Station I can view the files being recorded. However I cannot see the application in either the App Center or using QBoost or when I use the resource monitor and view the processes. I find this rather strange. Can anyone advise how I can check on the HDHomeRun application. I have noticed some posts where the application has stopped working after firmware upgrades and it would be nice to be able to access the application should this happen at some point in the future.

Any advice would be appreciated.