Windows 10 install *not* using Microsoft Store?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
SchnorflePuppy

Windows 10 install *not* using Microsoft Store?

Post by SchnorflePuppy »

Hi all -

First, just got my Kickstarter reward (HDHR5-4K) yesterday, hooked it up to my cheap-yet-effective HDTV antenna, configured it and upgraded firmware via my.hdhomerun.com, and launched the Android app - I was incredibly impressed! The app and program guide are fantastic, and I liked the auto-discovery on my network - way easier than I expected. My family now has the app on their Android phones. I've been hearing good things about the HDHomeRun from the MythTV community

However, I am greedy. :D Now I want to load the Windows 10 app on my home office machine, but since it's a corporate laptop, the Microsoft Store has been disabled (and although I have administrative access to the machine, I can't find a way to enable it). I was able to download and install hdhomerun_windows_20201017a.exe (but see Note 1 below) from the Beta Downloads page and get the HDHomeRun Setup app to launch, but as soon as I click OK, I receive a dialog box stating "You’ll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store". From the HDHomeRun Setup's Digital Antenna tab, the VLC media player app launches (pointing to udp://127.0.0.1:5000) but I have to close and re-launch VLC whenever i want to switch channels, and I don't have access to the program guide, so it's a partial viewing solution.

I note in https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/downloa ... ller_notes that there is a two-part installer. I suspect the fact that I can't access or launch the Microsoft Store is preventing the second part. Is there a workaround to download and install the full viewer software package without the Microsoft Store? Thanks.

Note 1 Google Chrome gives me a warning that "hdhomerun_windows_20201017a.exe can't be downloaded securely" and the default action is to Discard the file, but I can override it and click "Keep". May be related to my Microsoft Store issue.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Windows 10 install *not* using Microsoft Store?

Post by foxbat121 »

Corporate IT policy overrides local Admin privilege. Any attempt to bypass IT policy is a fire-able offense in most cases unless your last name is Clinton :)
I wouldn't tamper with it.

SchnorflePuppy

Post by SchnorflePuppy »

foxbat121 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:55 pm Corporate IT policy overrides local Admin privilege. Any attempt to bypass IT policy is a fire-able offense in most cases unless your last name is Clinton :)
I wouldn't tamper with it.
LOL at "Clinton" - I see what you did there. :lol:

I'm lucky in my work situation - I've cleared with my bosses that they're cool with me installing third-party software and using it for non-business stuff. Since I'm remote, if anything dorks up my PC, they'll just ship me a new one and recycle my old one.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

If UWP sideloading is enabled, then the Windows installer will install the Windows 10 version of the HDHomeRun app, the same one you could get from the Microsoft Store.

SchnorflePuppy

Post by SchnorflePuppy »

NedS wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 pm If UWP sideloading is enabled, then the Windows installer will install the Windows 10 version of the HDHomeRun app, the same one you could get from the Microsoft Store.
Thanks for the pointer, Ned. I have changed the "Use developer features" from "Windows Store apps" to both "Sideload apps" and "Developer mode", but still no joy. (Uninstalled the HDHomeRun app and rebooted after trying each new setting.) I'll follow foxbat121's suggestion and not push the tolerance of my internal IT department any further trying to install.

I have a workaround, using VLC media player with the network URL http://hdhomerun:5004/auto/v6.1 (for channel 6.1, updating as necessary for different channels). I was planning on reactivating my SchedulesDirect.org subscription and using MythTV with the HDHomeRun, so I'll be able to get the program guide data. Thanks again!