How did HDHomerun software know I purchased DVR license

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
n8xyn

How did HDHomerun software know I purchased DVR license

Post by n8xyn »

I didn't enter a key anywhere yet both computers on my network now have DVR capability. How did that happen?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: How did HDHomerun software know I purchased DVR license

Post by signcarver »

If you purchased the DVR, the first time you set it up you have to associate your tuners with your account. Every 8 hours the tuner contacts SD to negotiate a DeviceAuth (which most likely SD matches to your DeviceID internally) and this auth is what the apps use to get access to your "account" (they send all the auths concatenated together).

Sometime in the past year or so the app itself can maintain you account as it detects new tuners (and can also remove those not detected) but it requires a tuner on your account to be found to update such.

If one has a scribe/servio one gets a free year of access to the DVR but it isn't (by itself) associated with a paid dvr account and it's DeviceAuth will have to be sent on anything needing DVR access.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: How did HDHomerun software know I purchased DVR license

Post by NedS »

In other words, the DVR license is tied to the HDHomeRun unit's Device ID. Any DVR software on the network looks at the local HDHomeRun units and uses that to enable/disable the DVR features. The only time you should need to rerun your registration link is if you change HDHomeRun hardware, and even then we attempt to update that automatically with the app (unless a total changeover happens, where all the old hardware goes offline before the new hardware is online).