more than one scribe on a network

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
JDazell

more than one scribe on a network

Post by JDazell »

I have run into a customer who is in love with the old TiVo standalone DVR concept.

They want to be able to record shows and playback on one Scribe and have another Scribe on the network but only work with the other room's TV.

Can more than one Scribe exist on one network? If they can where would a recording land? Is there any way other than isolated subnets to force an HDHR app to see one Scribe over another?

I have tried desperately to make them understand that the HDHR Scribe is a "whole home DVR", with no success.

HELP!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: more than one scribe on a network

Post by signcarver »

You can have any number of tuners/recording engines on the network. For completely independent operation you will need to put each in its own subnet. When on the same subnet, usually the one with the most space left will be what records. A scribe is basically only good with SD's apps (as well as a few 3rd party apps that integrate with SD's dvr) which is designed to be one account for the entire home and everything work together and not concern itself with what your client would like to do.

JDazell

Re: more than one scribe on a network

Post by JDazell »

Signcarver, Yeah I figured as much, I had just never placed two scribes on the same network. So I was unsure how they would react to the other's presence. I figured that the best solution would be isolated subnets, but I am not sure that the HDHR Scribes are the best solution for this customer. They are having trouble grasping the concept of "Whole Home DVR". They are very entrenched in the TiVo verse, even though it has been years since they have had one. They have been using Hulu Live for a couple of years now and are turning away from that to OTA and Netflix.
Now that I am installing a new OTA antenna, they want to recreate that old dual TiVo feel. Where each room has a dedicated DVR on that TV and that user has complete control over what is being recorded. One of the two, either husband or wife, are very controlling :-) I am also trying to avoid having to crawl through their very cramped crawlspace to run a new cable to the front room from the new antenna.