Recording two different tv series with same name

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Sion

Recording two different tv series with same name

Post by Sion »

I am using HDHR DVR to record re-runs of the 1980's MacGyver tv show, as well as re-runs and new episodes of the 2016-present series by the same name.
HDHR DVR puts recordings for both shows into the same folder.
How can I change this behavior?
I use Plex to organize and watch most of my Media, and it needs the series folder to have a year in it (e.g. 'MacGyver (2016)' ) in order to differentiate the two shows. Otherwise it thinks I just have multiple copies of the same episode.
Any suggestions here?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Recording two different tv series with same name

Post by signcarver »

You can't change such behavior. My suggestion is to not use plex for such. If you must, run a script to move the shows to a folder name of your choosing.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Sion wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:06 am I am using HDHR DVR to record re-runs of the 1980's MacGyver tv show, as well as re-runs and new episodes of the 2016-present series by the same name.
HDHR DVR puts recordings for both shows into the same folder.
How can I change this behavior?
I use Plex to organize and watch most of my Media, and it needs the series folder to have a year in it (e.g. 'MacGyver (2016)' ) in order to differentiate the two shows. Otherwise it thinks I just have multiple copies of the same episode.
Any suggestions here?
The user can't change this at the moment, but we can probably change that behavior. I will bring it up internally.

Sion

Post by Sion »

NedS wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:21 pm The user can't change this at the moment, but we can probably change that behavior. I will bring it up internally.
That would be great. It's probably going to be pretty common going forward, with all the re-boot shows that the TV industry is doing (e.g. Magnum PI, Hawaii 5-O, and a few others).

Sion

Post by Sion »

signcarver wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:57 am You can't change such behavior. My suggestion is to not use plex for such. If you must, run a script to move the shows to a folder name of your choosing.
Curious what do you use organize, view, search, etc., your media? Kodi has the same problem, not surprisingly. My media is on a Synology NAS, so I want something compatible with that, and can run clients on Android and XBox.

I guess the other option is not to use the HDHR DVR and just use Plex as a DVR...