New: HDHomeRun app for LG TVs

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jonw747

Re: New: HDHomeRun app for LG TVs

Post by jonw747 »

neoark wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:20 am Hello,

I am unable to start the application on 2020 LG CX. I get the following error:

using webos api
Error while trying to discover devices: TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of null

Can anyone confirm if they got it to play on CX 2020? My device is on the same network.

Model: HDHR3-CC
I'm seeing it too on my 2016 LG E6, but I'm having discovery errors on numerous devices (and success with certain apps, so I know my tuners are working).

Everything is on the same network, but my subnet is not 255.255.255.0 but rather 255.255.255.240.

I know Microsoft changed how it handles UDP broadcast messages, and you have to enumerate all the interfaces and broadcast to each one now for it to work properly. I'm not sure if that's the case for other operating systems, or if it would even apply for your network.

wtg
Device ID: PRIME 131A6C2B

Post by wtg »

Great to see support added the webOS platform and having the app native on the TV. It would really be nice if the app supported encrypted channels though. For most of us with a Prime it's just a novelty without it.

schraedertr

Post by schraedertr »

I'm running HDHomeRun RECORD Version 20201015 on a Windows 10 machine. I can view HDHomeRun channels on my LG tv, but get a "Your HD HomeRun DVR wasn't found." when attempting to view list of recordings. DVR recordings are available on PCs and tables, but not on the LG.

wtg

Post by wtg »

schraedertr wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:11 am I'm running HDHomeRun RECORD Version 20201015 on a Windows 10 machine. I can view HDHomeRun channels on my LG tv, but get a "Your HD HomeRun DVR wasn't found." when attempting to view list of recordings. DVR recordings are available on PCs and tables, but not on the LG.
I'm seeing the exact same thing with my LG TV.

I'm using HDHomeRun RECORD Version 20200701 running on Windows 7. Looking at my Account page from the TV it shows I have the DVR service and it's active, but the Recordings list is empty with the message "Your HD HomeRun DVR wasn't found"

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We will look into it. I assume live TV is still working, just not DVR?

wtg

Post by wtg »

NedS wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:28 pm I assume live TV is still working, just not DVR?
That's correct.

raceybe

Post by raceybe »

I have a HDHR3-US which now works like a champ on Windows 10. On my LG TV, the app works, and can see the tuners and guide information, but the stream never starts, audio or video. Is this just a tuner support issue or is there a configuration I need to change?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

you could try to make sure you perform a scan on it in windows and verify it works with the windows app but it would not surprise me if the LG app can only handle http streaming which the 3rd gen OTA capable devices don't support (the prime (3rd gen) /expand (3rd/5th gen) do support http streaming and maintain their own lineup) .

raceybe

Post by raceybe »

signcarver wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:40 pm you could try to make sure you perform a scan on it in windows and verify it works with the windows app
indeed scanning and watching in Windows works fine, and it has the latest available firmware. If it is LG limitation, I'm fine with that, I just find it odd that it can grab all the other information from the tuner.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

raceybe wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:36 am I have a HDHR3-US which now works like a champ on Windows 10. On my LG TV, the app works, and can see the tuners and guide information, but the stream never starts, audio or video. Is this just a tuner support issue or is there a configuration I need to change?
This is a known bug right now. The LG version of the app is getting confused when there is a DUAL (uses older protocols) on the network. The DUAL isn't supported by the LG app, but it is preventing newer HDHomeRun models from working, and that should be fixed in the near future.

raceybe

Post by raceybe »

NedS wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:42 pm This is a known bug right now. The LG version of the app is getting confused when there is a DUAL (uses older protocols) on the network. The DUAL isn't supported by the LG app, but it is preventing newer HDHomeRun models from working, and that should be fixed in the near future.
Okay, so my old DUAL isn't supported and won't be fixed I guess is the bottom line?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

raceybe wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:00 pm
NedS wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:42 pm This is a known bug right now. The LG version of the app is getting confused when there is a DUAL (uses older protocols) on the network. The DUAL isn't supported by the LG app, but it is preventing newer HDHomeRun models from working, and that should be fixed in the near future.
Okay, so my old DUAL isn't supported and won't be fixed I guess is the bottom line?
Whenever possible, we try to support the older DUAL units, but the older units use a different protocol to stream video, and sometimes we can't support them on all of the platforms out there. I'm not 100% sure if that's the case with LG, or if it's something we can support later on, but at the moment the LG app only works with gen4 (HDHR4-XXX and HDHR5-XXX model numbers) or later devices (with the exception of the PRIME, which is supported).

veets

Post by veets »

+1 for adding DUAL tuner support to the LG app. I have two of these legacy tuners and have been unable to get the app to display a picture or sound on my LG TV. At least now I know why. Since they work just fine with the Windows, IOS, and Android apps (thank you!), I really wasn't planning on replacing them until ATSC 3.0 broadcasts become available in my area in 4k HDR and paid content is supported in the LG app. I'm thinking that's going to be awhile.
Last edited by veets on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raceybe

Post by raceybe »

NedS wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:05 pm Whenever possible, we try to support the older DUAL units, but the older units use a different protocol to stream video, and sometimes we can't support them on all of the platforms out there. I'm not 100% sure if that's the case with LG, or if it's something we can support later on, but at the moment the LG app only works with gen4 (HDHR4-XXX and HDHR5-XXX model numbers) or later devices (with the exception of the PRIME, which is supported).
Thanks for being open. I stopped using mine for a long time because the OTA signals were spotty, either the firmware improved or the signals improved, either way it's better now and I might upgrade.

ecf

Post by ecf »

Just FYI, I'm also getting the "Your HD HomeRun DVR wasn't found" message in the LG app, on an OLED65B9. I just set up a new Connect 4K with hdhomerun_record_linux 20200907 on a Debian box, and it's fully working with DVR features on various other platforms except the LG.
Last edited by ecf on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.