New: HDHomeRun app for LG TVs

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
NedS
Silicondust

Re: New: HDHomeRun app for LG TVs

Post by NedS »

wtg wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:25 am
NedS wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 pm
wtg wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:22 pm @NedS, any word on when and if the DVR service will be supported?
The DVR service is already supported in the LG app.
Except a number of us have reported that it doesn't. Instead we receive the message "Your HD HomeRun DVR wasn't found."
Sorry, I got my mental notes all mixed up, probably thinking of the Apple TV app that just got DVR support. I will ask the dev team about the status of the LG DVR bug.

vbyte

Post by vbyte »

I'm still having an issue where my LG OLED B6 is not playing any DRM enabled channels when I use the LG HD app. Is there still a patch/fix in the works for the app for this issue?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

vbyte wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:47 am I'm still having an issue where my LG OLED B6 is not playing any DRM enabled channels when I use the LG HD app. Is there still a patch/fix in the works for the app for this issue?
DRM isn't supported LG currently. I believe the dev team is still looking into if it's possible, and then they will work on implementing it. CableCARD requires that we do certain things whenever dealing with DRM restricted channels, so it's less about the technical ability and more about making sure the app follows the correct rules.

loicvan

Post by loicvan »

I get an error when launching the HDHomerun app on both my LG C9 and LG CX: Error while trying to discover devices: InvalidCharacterError: Failed to execute 'atop' on 'Window': The string to be decoded is not correctly encoded.

https://imgur.com/a/hxwvrqy

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

loicvan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:19 pm I get an error when launching the HDHomerun app on both my LG C9 and LG CX: Error while trying to discover devices: InvalidCharacterError: Failed to execute 'atop' on 'Window': The string to be decoded is not correctly encoded.

https://imgur.com/a/hxwvrqy
If you unplug your older DUAL unit, does the LG app start to work?

loicvan

Post by loicvan »

yes, it did fix it.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

loicvan wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:26 pm yes, it did fix it.
We should have it fixed with the next update for LG, so that you can keep the DUAL plugged in for the future.

kris_delta

Post by kris_delta »

Any update on the EMEA DVB version of the app being released ?

breezytm

Post by breezytm »

Does anyone know if it’s possible to replace the LG IPTV streaming with the HDHomeRun app?

markhewitt1979

Post by markhewitt1979 »

I remember I got an email a little while ago saying that the HD HomeRun app was available for LG webOS now so partly because of this I figured an LG TV would be a good choice for Christmas.

However now I see that it isn't available to download in the U.K. Despite me being emailed to say it was available. I'm now stuck with a TV that doesn't have all the features I was looking for.

jaysauls

Post by jaysauls »

I'm seeing two issues with the LG version of the HDHomerun app, and I can't tell from this thread if these are known issues or not:

1) when watching live TV, trick play ( rewind, fastforward after pause, etc.) isn't working. Pause works, but you can't rewind, and you can't fastforward after having paused. When doing playback of a show that's was previously recorded on the DVR, pause, rewind, fastforward work as expected.

2) when watching an ATSC 3.0 show on Live TV, the audio seems to always default to SAP audio track if it's available on that program.

My setup is using a QNAP NAS for DVR, with two different LG tvs that show both of these issues:

OLED77C9PUB
OLED55B7A

I don't see issue #1 HDHomerun app on Xbox, Windows 10 or Android phones on the same network.

The other apps have various issues with audio, some have audio for ATSC 3.0 (like Android), not sure if the default to SAP repros on the other apps or not.

* Edited this message to correct my original statement: pause works, but rewind / FF don't.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

markhewitt1979 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:26 am I remember I got an email a little while ago saying that the HD HomeRun app was available for LG webOS now so partly because of this I figured an LG TV would be a good choice for Christmas.

However now I see that it isn't available to download in the U.K. Despite me being emailed to say it was available. I'm now stuck with a TV that doesn't have all the features I was looking for.
We are in the process of getting the app approved by LG for DVB-T/T2/C countries.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

jaysauls wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:14 pm 1) when watching live TV, trick play ( rewind, fastforward after pause, etc.) isn't working. Pause works, but you can't rewind, and you can't fastforward after having paused. When doing playback of a show that's was previously recorded on the DVR, pause, rewind, fastforward work as expected.
I have been told that on LG's platform the video player won't support transport controls (rewind, fast-forward) because "live" video doesn't have an "end" (from the perspective of the software). This is why rewind and fast-forward will work on recordings, but not live TV.

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88, 1080278D

Post by Mediaman »

fyi for time shifting work around: start recording by pushing record button in live stream from action bar. exit live and start recording playback. Without this you can push the pause play buttons on LG remote but nothing else.

markhewitt1979

Post by markhewitt1979 »

NedS wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:43 pm
markhewitt1979 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:26 am I remember I got an email a little while ago saying that the HD HomeRun app was available for LG webOS now so partly because of this I figured an LG TV would be a good choice for Christmas.

We are in the process of getting the app approved by LG for DVB-T/T2/C countries.
This isn't like some Apple process that takes a few days. It's been nearly three months.