restricting tuners for the HD APP

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jfabernathy

restricting tuners for the HD APP

Post by jfabernathy »

I have 2 HDHR tuners on the same network with different IP addresses.

I want to force the HD apps on FireTV stick and Nvidia Shield TV to only use one of these tuners and leave the other alone for Mythtv or TVH.

How can I do that?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: restricting tuners for the HD APP

Post by NedS »

Not possible at this time.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

One way you can do it is directly connect the tuner to the computer running MythTV or Tvheadend using a second ethernet port (such as a USB ethernet adapter). The HDHR tuner will assign itself an IP address, as will the second ethernet adapter. Then you can use the second ethernet adapter to speak to the tuner, and your primary ethernet interface to talk to the rest of your network.

It's not necessary for the tuner to have internet access, since the MythTV/Tvheadend instance will handle the guide.

It may require some additional configuration, but this type of setup works quite well.

jfabernathy

Post by jfabernathy »

Thanks guys for the info

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra »

rpcameron wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:32 am One way you can do it is directly connect the tuner to the computer running MythTV or Tvheadend using a second ethernet port (such as a USB ethernet adapter). The HDHR tuner will assign itself an IP address, as will the second ethernet adapter. Then you can use the second ethernet adapter to speak to the tuner, and your primary ethernet interface to talk to the rest of your network.

It's not necessary for the tuner to have internet access, since the MythTV/Tvheadend instance will handle the guide.

It may require some additional configuration, but this type of setup works quite well.
I do a similar thing using an old router... have NAT enabled on the router and connect the tuner to the NATed side of the router. In my case I have a Connect tuner and a Plex Server on the back side of the 2nd (old) router. This way Plex uses that Connect and HDHomerun runs on my main server with the rest of the tuners. This keeps Plex from using anything other than that Connect tuner and HDHomerun does not see that Plex assigned tuner so will never try to use it. This setup makes Plex and HDHomerun play nice together. (Albeit on 2 different networks). I use PLEX as my front end GUI and it can see both libraries NP.

jfabernathy

Post by jfabernathy »

NedS wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:07 am Not possible at this time.
I would like to see this become a feature. All the suggestions about putting one HDHR on a separate network segment require a lot of setup and wiring changes.
My current solution is to remove the HD app from my FireTV stick and Shield TV. Those will have to use MythTV, Kodi, ProgTV to get their OTA TV.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

jfabernathy wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:56 am
NedS wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:07 am Not possible at this time.
I would like to see this become a feature. All the suggestions about putting one HDHR on a separate network segment require a lot of setup and wiring changes.
My current solution is to remove the HD app from my FireTV stick and Shield TV. Those will have to use MythTV, Kodi, ProgTV to get their OTA TV.
You could always filter on your router. Set up DHCP reservations for the streaming devices and tuners, and then create a firewall rule that blocks traffic between the streaming devices and a single tuner. Not that much setup, and no wiring changes.

jfabernathy

Post by jfabernathy »

rpcameron wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:25 am You could always filter on your router. Set up DHCP reservations for the streaming devices and tuners, and then create a firewall rule that blocks traffic between the streaming devices and a single tuner. Not that much setup, and no wiring changes.
I would be interested in more information about this options. It's not obvious to me how to accomplish this with my router. I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P AP/router. I have the IPs reserved for all my devices using the IP address reservation option.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

It varies by router. Check your router's documentation for how it manages firewall rules. Or possibly your router manufacturer's web forums.

jfabernathy

Post by jfabernathy »

rpcameron wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:21 pm It varies by router. Check your router's documentation for how it manages firewall rules. Or possibly your router manufacturer's web forums.
Turns out it's not an option on my router.

coreyjc

Post by coreyjc »

Yes, I'd like to see this as a feature as well. I've got the recording engine set up on an suse linux machine, and since I got the kickstarter atsc 3.0 tuner I now have 20 tuners on the network, I've been running emby and hdhomerun, but every once in a while emby will miss a recording. There used to be a program on windows that would let you disable tuners for the dvr software, and now with the settings page in the app it seems like there's the list of tuners with checks on them, doesn't seem like it would be hard to let you shut them off if you want. Or add something to hdhomerun_config to ignore a tuner, been looking at the documentation and it seems like there's nothing in there for that, but probably wouldn't be a stretch. Ah well, maybe I'll try plex on this machine, see if it's usable now. Or see if there's some linux-y way to make the tuners invisible.

jfabernathy

Post by jfabernathy »

coreyjc wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:22 pm Yes, I'd like to see this as a feature as well. I've got the recording engine set up on an suse linux machine, and since I got the kickstarter atsc 3.0 tuner I now have 20 tuners on the network, I've been running emby and hdhomerun, but every once in a while emby will miss a recording. There used to be a program on windows that would let you disable tuners for the dvr software, and now with the settings page in the app it seems like there's the list of tuners with checks on them, doesn't seem like it would be hard to let you shut them off if you want. Or add something to hdhomerun_config to ignore a tuner, been looking at the documentation and it seems like there's nothing in there for that, but probably wouldn't be a stretch. Ah well, maybe I'll try plex on this machine, see if it's usable now. Or see if there's some linux-y way to make the tuners invisible.
On my production DVR I have a solution that shares everything successfully. I use MythTV v31 and it uses a method that shares the HDHR tuners. So I can define all the HDHR tuners in MythTV and then as long as my total LiveTV and DVR recordings in the house don't exceed the number of HDHR tuners I'm good. In that case the HD app works.

However, when I'm experimenting with TVHeadend which can only use the tuner it's defined with, and can't share, I get in trouble. So my workaround is to leave one HDHR tuner undefined to MythTV and let TVHeadend use that one, and then instead of HD app I use ProgTV Beta apk on my Android devices like Shield TV and FireTV 4K stick. ProgTV uses a m3u file where you list your channels and tuners by IP so it shares only the tuners you want.

DavidB

re: restricting tuners for the HD APP

Post by DavidB »

In the current app you show each tuner with a checkmark by them, why not allow clicking on the checkmark to enable/disable that tuner for that HDHomeRun app?
Another suggestion: allow us to set the order of the tuners in the list to allow us to use one tuner first before moving to another tuner. I have a CONNECT QUATTRO and one of the new CONNECT 4Ks as well as a PRIME. It would be nice to order the tuners 4K, QUATTRO, and then PRIME to allow me to record the "best" video possible.

Just a suggestion,
David

EddieP

Re: re: restricting tuners for the HD APP

Post by EddieP »

DavidB wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:04 pm In the current app you show each tuner with a checkmark by them, why not allow clicking on the checkmark to enable/disable that tuner for that HDHomeRun app?
Another suggestion: allow us to set the order of the tuners in the list to allow us to use one tuner first before moving to another tuner. I have a CONNECT QUATTRO and one of the new CONNECT 4Ks as well as a PRIME. It would be nice to order the tuners 4K, QUATTRO, and then PRIME to allow me to record the "best" video possible.

Just a suggestion,
David
Just got my 4K and I would like to make it the first tuner selected so I can fully test.... right now it is a pain in the butt to test it in the hdhomerun app.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: re: restricting tuners for the HD APP

Post by NedS »

DavidB wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:04 pm In the current app you show each tuner with a checkmark by them, why not allow clicking on the checkmark to enable/disable that tuner for that HDHomeRun app?

Just a suggestion,
David
That screen is mostly there for the DVR, but it's not a bad idea.

With a QUATRO 4K unit, it will take priority if there is an ATSC 3.0 channel. The priority the app uses is:

If the program is available on ATSC 1.0: First available ATSC 1.0 tuner -> ATSC 3.0 tuner in ATSC 1.0 mode -> PRIME

If the program is available on ATSC 3.0: First available ATSC 3.0 tuner -> ATSC 1.0 tuner using the ATSC 1.0 fallback broadcast (All ATSC 3 stations are required to maintain ATSC 1 for at least five years) -> PRIME

The PRIME can take a higher priority if the resolution is better, as some ATSC 1.0 "fallback" broadcasts went to SD resolution. In theory, you can even have a 4k program on the PRIME and that can take the top spot over everything, if no ATSC 3.0 4k broadcast.