Anybody try the new Chromecast with HDHR?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Anybody try the new Chromecast with HDHR?

Post by foxbat121 »

Yes, I noticed that problem from day one on my MiBox 3. But my Verizon Stream TV and now Google TV both are way better than that even though they are still AMLogic SoC, the newer S905X2. IIRC, MiBox 3 is older gen S912L or something like that.

wtg
Device ID: PRIME 131A6C2B

Post by wtg »

Can anyone remark on how HDHomeRun app's responsiveness on the Chromecast compares with it on the Shield?

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

No difference I can tell. Sometimes I feel Chromecast is more responsive than Shield. But most times, it is a tie for functions that work on both (Chromecast has its own limitations and can't do a lot things Shield can do).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Finally got mine as first 2 the shipper never received and I paid extra to get it delivered by the 1st with one of the companies I ordered from. I finally got one shipped from a local store location of that company via usps that took a day, may cancel the other.

I can notice a slight deinterlace stutter when running at 4K. Knocked it down to 1080p and saw no real issue. I actually like the picture a bit better than the tivo stream 4k and Jetstream 4k. I hooked a hub to it but ethernet not working will try a different one later. For the most part it seams quite responsive with remote but seens quite a bit slower than Jetstream via cec. Also every now and then on the home screen it seems to pause and go (nearly) blank for no reason... the first time it did such it actually finally got the HDHomeRun app I told it to install so it was probably busy doing something.

The instant I tried to view a drm channel it prompted me to allow location and the app restarted and tuned right away.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

The home screen pause is quite annoying. Everytime I switch inputs back to CCGTV, the a few seconds of pause seems forever. I believe what happens behind the scene is that Google tries to populate the 'For You' section, which is the default section highlighted, from cloud and it takes too long. Google could have done a better job by doing it asynchronously.

Markolc

Post by Markolc »

What's Intesting on the new Chromecast is the Live Channels app from Google can be installed, however will not show up in the apps drawer/lineup. This has nothing to do with the HDHR app I know, but I like to use the Live Channels app due to the simple front end.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

That's the indication that Google abandoned that app long ago. I can't use Live Channels because it freaks out every 5 minutes of so repeatedly as it detects I have two Prime tuners. So, on all the Android TV box I own, I have to manually disable this app. Now I finally no longer need to do so:)

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

This is a great little Streamer ... works great with all my TV Apps ... Added A hub with ethernet ... added 64GB storage was able to connect via ethernet and works with my FLIRC for those Apps that work better and need a remote with multiple buttons ... no problem with DRM or 4K Videos.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 »

Markolc wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:31 am What's Intesting on the new Chromecast is the Live Channels app from Google can be installed, however will not show up in the apps drawer/lineup. This has nothing to do with the HDHR app I know, but I like to use the Live Channels app due to the simple front end.
Try to use the voice command to open it up. That's the only way I could get the actual Play Store application open to toggle automatic updates on and off.

Similar to @foxbat21 my multiple SiliconDust tuners freaked it out all the time and I disabled the application long ago on my Nvidia Shields.