HELP! MiBox 3 US Updated Android 9 ... Wrecked

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: HELP! MiBox 3 US Updated Android 9 ... Wrecked

Post by foxbat121 »

Sorry, I did say SD needs to implement it, nothing you can do unless you have access to their source code and know how to modify the app and rebuilt it :)

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

foxbat121 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:08 am As I suspected earlier in this thread, I'm not sure the SoC in this thing is fast enough to handle software decoding though.
I'm using djp952's unofficial Kodi PVR add-on on mine with both hardware acceleration and deinterlacing turned off in Kodi. It looks much better than the HDHomeRun app but it's far from perfect. It's good enough for playing the news on my kitchen TV while I'm cooking dinner but I certainly wouldn't want it in my living room. 720p doesn't look too bad but 1080i channels have noticeable interlacing lines during scenes with motion.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

As jasonl pointed out in another thread, MiBox 3 never had a good de-interlacing even when it works. 1080i60 is de-interlaced into 1080p30 with significant artifacts.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud »

foxbat121 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:06 am As jasonl pointed out in another thread, MiBox 3 never had a good de-interlacing even when it works. 1080i60 is de-interlaced into 1080p30 with significant artifacts.
Mine was very acceptable for my kitchen 32" 1080P set when it worked on Oreo, prior to this "Upgrade".

By the way I had contracted Xiaomi support, and they were the most uncaring, uncooperative "Customer Support" team that I've ever run into.
I wish there was an easy way to flash the box back to Oreo.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Thats with hardware... the only solution that SD can implement is to blacklist the box from hardware decoding which will produce the results mentioned in the previous posts.

My personal feeling is that such should be a user setting (as it was on the android app prior to DVR) not needing to wait for SD to implement such. This also can benefit coming off the list of devices when an update comes out that fixes such.

Sion

Post by Sion »

NedS wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:08 pm
Thunderthud wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:46 pm My MiBNox 3 US updated to Android 9 today and is unwatchable! The video is breaking up on every channel. Pixelating and jumping. Restarted. Not usable at all. Please help! Thanks.
Can we have you enable the HDHR app diagnostic data? We can use that to create a temporary blacklist for hardware decoding on MiBox 3 with Android 9.
Woah there, @NedS !!!
I got the Android9 update for my MiBox3 and have no issues. Please don't black list it!
MiBox updates are notoriously inconsistent. One person has bugs, another doesn't.

john262

Post by john262 »

I have one Mibox 3 and two Mibox 4's. I was having the same problems as documented in this thread on all three boxes. However, I find that I can get it to work using the HDHomerun Kodi PVR client. I had to disable hardware acceleration in the Kodi settings. It is kind of a pain because some of my other Kodi addons require hardware acceleration so I have to keep turning it back on to use those addons then back off again to use the PVR client. But it does work.

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud »

john262 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:18 am I have one Mibox 3 and two Mibox 4's. I was having the same problems as documented in this thread on all three boxes. However, I find that I can get it to work using the HDHomerun Kodi PVR client. I had to disable hardware acceleration in the Kodi settings. It is kind of a pain because some of my other Kodi addons require hardware acceleration so I have to keep turning it back on to use those addons then back off again to use the PVR client. But it does work.
Where in Kodi is this setting? Have hdhr addon installed. Can't find. Thanks!

gaitch32

Post by gaitch32 »

Thunderthud wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:38 am
john262 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:18 am I have one Mibox 3 and two Mibox 4's. I was having the same problems as documented in this thread on all three boxes. However, I find that I can get it to work using the HDHomerun Kodi PVR client. I had to disable hardware acceleration in the Kodi settings. It is kind of a pain because some of my other Kodi addons require hardware acceleration so I have to keep turning it back on to use those addons then back off again to use the PVR client. But it does work.
Where in Kodi is this setting? Have hdhr addon installed. Can't find. Thanks!
The setting in Kodi is in Settings/Player/Video. Make sure that your setting level is at least Expert at the bottom then you should see them near the bottom of the list on the right. I got this working on mine and it seems to have solved the problem.

I am disappointed that I have to go this way because I never even used the HDHR app, just Live Channels, with version 8 and had no problems.

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud »

Gautch32... Thanks for your response but unfortunately it didn't work out for me.

Wish they would give the option in hdhr app.

gaitch32

Post by gaitch32 »

Just wanted to post an update. I had some decent responses from Xiaomi tech support. I got past the "Becky in customer service" level of support and was talking to tier 2. We went through a couple of different steps and they also sent me some firmware to load. It didn't fix the problem but this was their last response.
Greetings again from Xiaomi USA Customer Support.

Thank you so much for loading the firmware for your Mi Box. As the issue still persists, what we can advise is for you to wait for the future update for your device that our Engineering team will be soon sending out.

Thank you and have a great day!

Regards,

Paul

Xiaomi Customer Support
Hopefully this is true. I will update this thread if I get anything else from them.

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud »

gaitch32 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:24 am Just wanted to post an update. I had some decent responses from Xiaomi tech support. I got past the "Becky in customer service" level of support and was talking to tier 2. We went through a couple of different steps and they also sent me some firmware to load. It didn't fix the problem but this was their last response.
Greetings again from Xiaomi USA Customer Support.

Thank you so much for loading the firmware for your Mi Box. As the issue still persists, what we can advise is for you to wait for the future update for your device that our Engineering team will be soon sending out.

Thank you and have a great day!

Regards,

Paul

Xiaomi Customer Support
Hopefully this is true. I will update this thread if I get anything else from them.
Yeah, well that's what I got as a "first response", and it just got worse from there. Their customer service is the worst I can ever remember experiencing.
Please don't hold your breath waiting for this "Future Update".

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Obviously, their engineers don't have these test MPEG2 video to test with. Otherwise, they won't keep sending out these crippling firmware updates. first happened on MiBox S Android 9 update last year (I reported that). They didn't learn from that and kept up with another for MiBox 3. If you still have the contacts with tech support, send them a sample file to reproduce the issue. Otherwise, it will never be resolved.

You can find instructions here how to record a short sample video from your tuner.

Lastly, I heard from others that this new Android 9 update also removed one of the important feature of Mi Box 3, be able to bitstream Dolby TrueHD audio. This was prominently showed and documented as the unique feature of this box both on product packaging and boot up screen. If this is indeed removed, we should sue them for deleting a feature that was clearly documented to be supported.

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud »

foxbat121 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:05 am Obviously, their engineers don't have these test MPEG2 video to test with. Otherwise, they won't keep sending out these crippling firmware updates. first happened on MiBox S Android 9 update last year (I reported that). They didn't learn from that and kept up with another for MiBox 3. If you still have the contacts with tech support, send them a sample file to reproduce the issue. Otherwise, it will never be resolved.

You can find instructions here how to record a short sample video from your tuner.

Lastly, I heard from others that this new Android 9 update also removed one of the important feature of Mi Box 3, be able to bitstream Dolby TrueHD audio. This was prominently showed and documented as the unique feature of this box both on product packaging and boot up screen. If this is indeed removed, we should sue them for deleting a feature that was clearly documented to be supported.
I had given samples and got this response back...

"We do apologize about what happened to your Mi Box 3 after updating it to Android Pie. However, this is a possible compatibility issue since there's changes made after it updates. Kindly coordinate also with the developer of Live Channels App and HDHomeRun for further verifying their application compatiblity to Android TV Pie.

Regards,
Jedric
Xiaomi Customer Support - USA"

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

That just their way of saying they don't care. I would tell them to try out VLC to playback the video but I suspect they will blame VLC as well. Their engineers in China probably never received such video to re-produce the problem.

IIRC, SD might have reached out to them as well last time. How ironic Xiaomi never admit or learn from their mistakes. This is not a company I will put my trust with.