Directly tune specific channel?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
craigwillie

Directly tune specific channel?

Post by craigwillie »

Quattro Scribe w/ FireTv stick:

When watching live TV the scrolling through the guide is VERY slow. This makes changing channels very tedious, for example changing the channel from channel 2 to 125.

- Is there a way to directly change the channel without scrolling through the guide?

- Any suggestions on how to speed up the scrolling through the guide?

- Lastly, a somewhat related question. When in the 'Discover' tab, how are the shows that are displayed sorted? Is there a way to influence this? I do not see any rhyme or reason as to how this tab works.

Thanks,

Craig

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Directly tune specific channel?

Post by NedS »

Assuming there isn't a bug or some performance issue, here's what I would do:

First, remove channels that you don't normally watch using the blacklist feature. Go to the my.hdhomerun.com page, click on your channel lineup (it shows the number of scanned channels as a link), then click the hollow star icon until it shows up as a red X.

Second, you can use the search icon in the action bad to jump to channels, either by number or by callsign/channel name, or even by program name.

Third, there are some bluetooth remote controls that can replace the normal Fire TV remote that have a number pad, and those should work for going directly to a channel.

In the Discover tab, first it shows all programs currently live, and scrolling to the right or left will advance time for later in the day. Any shows that you have set up recordings for (if you have DVR) will show up first, but after that I'm not sure how we sort it. I will ask Nick, because I seem to recall that it does do something and isn't random, I'm just not sure how exactly it is calculated. Also, you can hide a program from the Discover tab, if it's a show you don't care for, which makes the tab a lot more useful. Select the show and then select "Hide", or use the "delete" key on a device with a keyboard.

hotshot2k3

Post by hotshot2k3 »

Is it possible to implement voice search?

Can I just say ABC or Five and have that be automatically searched for inside the app

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

hotshot2k3 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:13 pm Is it possible to implement voice search?

Can I just say ABC or Five and have that be automatically searched for inside the app
It depends on the platform. On Android TV, it's already enabled since it's OS-wide in the on-screen keyboard (a recent update makes this much more accessible by default, it's really nice). It might be possible on Fire TV as well.

EHerb

Post by EHerb »

NedS wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:27 pm
hotshot2k3 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:13 pm Is it possible to implement voice search?

It depends on the platform. On Android TV, it's already enabled since it's OS-wide in the on-screen keyboard (a recent update makes this much more accessible by default, it's really nice). It might be possible on Fire TV as well.
Could you post the common voice commands for Android TV please?

For instance switching channels - Would you say 'Hey Google' switch / change to channel 3?

Search / Discover programs - Would you say 'Hey Google' find Magnum P.I.?

And to record - Would you say 'Hey Google' record Magnum P.I.?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

EHerb wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:42 pm
NedS wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:27 pm

Could you post the common voice commands for Android TV please?

For instance switching channels - Would you say 'Hey Google' switch / change to channel 3?

Search / Discover programs - Would you say 'Hey Google' find Magnum P.I.?

And to record - Would you say 'Hey Google' record Magnum P.I.?
I don't think we have anything like that yet. I was referring to the text input stuff. As in, if you are in the search field on live TV or "Discover" you can say a channel name or number, or program name.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I believe what is being referred to is clicking the voice button on the onscreen keyboard then you can speak the channel number or even say a show name in search.

edit: i.e. click center, navigate to search on lower bar (rather than going up in channels which could be 100's of presses) which on most platforms with remote brings up the onscreen keyboard, on that keyboard click the voice icon it puts the text (or number) you say and changes focus to enter on the keyboard, press select which then enters and dismisses the keyboard.

personally I would look for a remote with numbers and/or use cec and tv's remote.