Apple TV App Downloaded

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Apple TV App Downloaded

Post by foxbat121 »

signcarver wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:55 pm foxbat121 had reported this in another thread
foxbat121 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:09 pm Set ATV to SDR mode, not HDR mode or DV mode. Then setup ATV to match dynamic range. The forced SDR to HDR mapping never looked correct in any device or PC. Fortunately, you don't have to use it on ATV. With above setting, you will have SDR show up as SDR and HDR show up as HDR.

That does not mean there is no issue related to what OP reports. I can confirm in forced HDR mode, the color does look washed out. But turn off this forced HDR will work around this issue. I never understand the need for forced HDR in any device anyway.
Not sure if it would help with your issue
Yes, I'm 100% sure it will help :) Most ATV 4K users don't know that they don't have to use the default forced HDR mode at all.

rbknox

Post by rbknox »

foxbat121 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:09 am My Harmony is using BT for controlling the ATV. It has the same limitation. In order to see the guide or change channels, I have to do all the following:
1. Press OK button to bring out the UI. The UI focus is always on the left most side of the UI, e.g. pause.
2. Press right button many times to bring the UI focus to the channel lists to see guide or change channels.

It is annoying to do it every time. On Android or PC, all I have to do is press up or down button on remote to jump to channel/guide UI.
This is consistent with my experience. I researched a little. Apparently harmony by default controls with IR (my setup), but can also use Bluetooth providing some additional functionality.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

rbknox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:26 am This is consistent with my experience. I researched a little. Apparently harmony by default controls with IR (my setup), but can also use Bluetooth providing some additional functionality.
Depends on how you set it up. Bluetooth setup requires additional pairing. You pick one, not both. It has nothing to do with the problem at hand though unless SD only only implemented on IR commands not BT commands which I think is not the case.

To be clear, my Harmony is setup to use BT only to control ATV, no IR.

rbknox

Post by rbknox »

foxbat121 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:02 am
rbknox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:26 am This is consistent with my experience. I researched a little. Apparently harmony by default controls with IR (my setup), but can also use Bluetooth providing some additional functionality.
Depends on how you set it up. Bluetooth setup requires additional pairing. You pick one, not both. It has nothing to do with the problem at hand though unless SD only only implemented on IR commands not BT commands which I think is not the case.

To be clear, my Harmony is setup to use BT only to control ATV, no IR.
Yeah, sorry for any confusion. I meant it can be either IR or Bluetooth. Mainly I wanted to verify mine was IR as it has been some time since setup. And, to validate that you and I are seeing same problem, independent of communication method.

epee4fun

Post by epee4fun »

i made that change after I saw foxbat121's post too. It did make a difference to all my apps - HDHR, Channels, and Plex Live TV. HDHR is still washed out compared to the other two. Thanks for the tip though!
signcarver wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:55 pm foxbat121 had reported this in another thread
foxbat121 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:09 pm Set ATV to SDR mode, not HDR mode or DV mode. Then setup ATV to match dynamic range. The forced SDR to HDR mapping never looked correct in any device or PC. Fortunately, you don't have to use it on ATV. With above setting, you will have SDR show up as SDR and HDR show up as HDR.

That does not mean there is no issue related to what OP reports. I can confirm in forced HDR mode, the color does look washed out. But turn off this forced HDR will work around this issue. I never understand the need for forced HDR in any device anyway.

epee4fun

Post by epee4fun »

I might be imagining things, but it seems like upgrading to tvOS14 or tvOS14.0.1 reset the HDR settings. I did have to go in and change them back to 4K SDR. I still see a noticeaable difference in color saturation between Channels and HDHR apps.
foxbat121 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:11 am

Yes, I'm 100% sure it will help :) Most ATV 4K users don't know that they don't have to use the default forced HDR mode at all.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

epee4fun wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:37 am I might be imagining things, but it seems like upgrading to tvOS14 or tvOS14.0.1 reset the HDR settings. I did have to go in and change them back to 4K SDR. I still see a noticeaable difference in color saturation between Channels and HDHR apps.
Could be. If it prompts you to enable DV or HDR, just say no :)

HDHR could be sending out wrong color range. I need to put both my Shield and ATV 4K side by side to see.

Update: it does seem that the picture is slightly washed out even in SDR mode.

epee4fun

Post by epee4fun »

I know, off topic, but the tvOS update also reset my chroma to 4:2:0. I know it was 4:4:4 before the tvOS 14 update. If anyone has updated to tvOS 14 or 14.01 you should double check your video settings...
foxbat121 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:39 am
epee4fun wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:37 am I might be imagining things, but it seems like upgrading to tvOS14 or tvOS14.0.1 reset the HDR settings. I did have to go in and change them back to 4K SDR. I still see a noticeaable difference in color saturation between Channels and HDHR apps.

HDHR could be sending out wrong color range. I need to put both my Shield and ATV 4K side by side to see.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

New bug: it seems there is a deinterlacing issue on Apple TV. This is quite obvious when there is any computer generated text on screen. For example, CNBC channel always has a ticker at the bottom of the screen. Each letter can be seen with jagged edges. Compared to my Chromecast with Google TV, it is pretty obvious. My ATV 4K is running latest 14.0.1 firmware.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Here is a photo of what it looks like in HDHR app:

Here is a photo of what it looks like for the same channel in VLC app:

epee4fun

Post by epee4fun »

@nickk @neds, any thoughts on this concern? I'm still seeing this and now the other issue @foxbat121 raised. I'd like to adopt the HDHR app as my default on Apple TV, but these two issues are holding me back.
foxbat121 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:39 am

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We're looking into it.

yobyot

Post by yobyot »

NedS wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:39 am ...DVR is coming soon....
Does anyone have an ETA on DVR for the iOS app? In my case, i am looking for Apple TV to be able to play back a recording.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

yobyot wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:00 pm
NedS wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:39 am ...DVR is coming soon....
Does anyone have an ETA on DVR for the iOS app? In my case, i am looking for Apple TV to be able to play back a recording.
We're hoping to have DVR playback enabled in the first week or so of November (viewing only), with full DVR scheduling controls coming shortly after that.

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I have a old and reliable Harmony One IR remote.
How do I get to the Discover and Setup tabs?
Can't wait for DRM as that could really enable the HDHomeRun app as a replacement for my COX Contour box.