Apple TV App Downloaded

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Mike_TV

Re: Apple TV App Downloaded

Post by Mike_TV »

Working great and it's super fast to tune to the first channel on start up. Other apps like Plex and Channels take a bit of time.

EricHD

Post by EricHD »

marks wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:13 pm I am on TvOS 14, so wonder if you upgrade to that if it would help you.
Also, I am running HDHomerun firmware and DVR at 20200907 .
HDHomerun firmware was up to date. TvOS 14.0 fixed the problem. Thanks.

astrovern

Post by astrovern »

epee4fun wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:02 pm I downloaded the app and am running it on tvOS 14. The sound output with the surround decoder active on my Yamaha reciever in Straight, Surround Decoder, or Standard is only active on left and center channels. If I force a two or seven channel output it is better but not correctly distributed. I'm comparing to the Channels app, which works as expected. My setup is Apple TV 4k -> Samsung Q6F -> Yamaha RX-675, all connected via HDMI. Edit: same result on a yamaha soundbar, Apple TV -> Yamaha soundbar -> Samsung HDTV.
I'm seeing the same thing - very lopsided sound.
The HDHomeRun App is always outputting 5.1 sound, even for 2.0 broadcasts. However, the Front Left channel is being boosted (or the Front Right channel is being reduced) by the App. My amplifier if honoring the 5.1 signal and playing it as received, resulting in this unpleasant sound mix.

Other AppleTV apps that can be used for viewing the HDHomeRun live signal (eg. Plex, Emby, TVMosaic, VLC) are all outputting 2.0 broadcasts as 2.0, which the amplifier is then converting to Dolby Surround resulting in dialogue correctly originating from the center channel.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Looking into the left/center audio issue.

Looking into using external audio devices, such as bluetooth, AirPlay, etc.

As mentioned before, DRM not working is a known limitation at the moment.

DVR is coming soon.

Number button input when using certain remotes (CEC, bluetooth, universal IR, etc) will be looked into, as well as making sure we can support all the standard buttons. Play/Pause should be working already.

Let us know if you guys see anything else.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We confirmed the problem where the audio channel layout was incorrect on 5.1 systems - fixed and released.

Nick

epee4fun

Post by epee4fun »

@nickk - the latest changes for the 5.1 audio don't seem to work in my environment. Apple TV 4k -> Samsung Q6F -> Yamaha RX-V675.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

epee4fun wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:00 pm @nickk - the latest changes for the 5.1 audio don't seem to work in my environment. Apple TV 4k -> Samsung Q6F -> Yamaha RX-V675.
What problem/symptom are you experiencing?

epee4fun

Post by epee4fun »

After some experimentation I have found that in my main setup (ATV4K -> Samsung Q6F->Yamaha RX-V675), I must force ATV To Stereo sound output and let the other components perform the decode to have the expected audio output. Leaving the ATV in default or forcing to Dolby 5.1 results in left / center output and none to the the right channel or rear right and left. The bug is resolved for my secondary setup of ATV->Yamaha soundbar-> older Samsung TV.
nickk wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:46 pm
epee4fun wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:00 pm @nickk - the latest changes for the 5.1 audio don't seem to work in my environment. Apple TV 4k -> Samsung Q6F -> Yamaha RX-V675.

rbknox

Post by rbknox »

I tried the new app. I am using a harmony remote to navigate all access (setup for Apple TV 4K). The arrow keys work fine for Apple TV. However when I try hdhr app, the up/down keys do not invoke the guide interface. If I press ok, interface appears and up/down arrows now work to navigate guide, but left/right arrows do not allow me to navigate time schedule of program guide. I tested with Apple touch pad and everything works ok.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

epee4fun wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:18 pm After some experimentation I have found that in my main setup (ATV4K -> Samsung Q6F->Yamaha RX-V675), I must force ATV To Stereo sound output and let the other components perform the decode to have the expected audio output. Leaving the ATV in default or forcing to Dolby 5.1 results in left / center output and none to the the right channel or rear right and left. The bug is resolved for my secondary setup of ATV->Yamaha soundbar-> older Samsung TV.
Left/center audio bug should now be fixed, just make sure the HDHomeRun app is updated on the Apple TV.

epee4fun

Post by epee4fun »

Confirmed.

On to the next issue then. The color is a bit washed out on the SD app vs. Channels or Plex Live TV. It's like the color saturation or brightness is a little weak. Anything you can do with that?
NedS wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:16 pm
epee4fun wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:18 pm After some experimentation I have found that in my main setup (ATV4K -> Samsung Q6F->Yamaha RX-V675), I must force ATV To Stereo sound output and let the other components perform the decode to have the expected audio output. Leaving the ATV in default or forcing to Dolby 5.1 results in left / center output and none to the the right channel or rear right and left. The bug is resolved for my secondary setup of ATV->Yamaha soundbar-> older Samsung TV.
Left/center audio bug should now be fixed, just make sure the HDHomeRun app is updated on the Apple TV.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

foxbat121 had reported this in another thread
foxbat121 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:09 pm Set ATV to SDR mode, not HDR mode or DV mode. Then setup ATV to match dynamic range. The forced SDR to HDR mapping never looked correct in any device or PC. Fortunately, you don't have to use it on ATV. With above setting, you will have SDR show up as SDR and HDR show up as HDR.

That does not mean there is no issue related to what OP reports. I can confirm in forced HDR mode, the color does look washed out. But turn off this forced HDR will work around this issue. I never understand the need for forced HDR in any device anyway.
Not sure if it would help with your issue

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

rbknox wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:48 am I tried the new app. I am using a harmony remote to navigate all access (setup for Apple TV 4K). The arrow keys work fine for Apple TV. However when I try hdhr app, the up/down keys do not invoke the guide interface. If I press ok, interface appears and up/down arrows now work to navigate guide, but left/right arrows do not allow me to navigate time schedule of program guide. I tested with Apple touch pad and everything works ok.
I will try to test all the various input options this week. Is this a Harmony using IR or bluetooth?

rbknox

Post by rbknox »

It’s a Harmony Elite. It uses various ways to communicate but the direct control of the Apple TV 4K is IR. Thanks.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

My Harmony is using BT for controlling the ATV. It has the same limitation. In order to see the guide or change channels, I have to do all the following:
1. Press OK button to bring out the UI. The UI focus is always on the left most side of the UI, e.g. pause.
2. Press right button many times to bring the UI focus to the channel lists to see guide or change channels.

It is annoying to do it every time. On Android or PC, all I have to do is press up or down button on remote to jump to channel/guide UI.