Apple TV App Downloaded

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Jackamus
Device ID: 1316E070, 1323748C, 13253D8E

Apple TV App Downloaded

Post by Jackamus »

I just downloaded the HDHomeRun app for Apple TV. I like it so far. Just testing it out and watching a few live channels. Look forward to full DVR support.

Beerman

Re: Apple TV App Downloaded

Post by Beerman »

Looking good for me too! Recently got a new Samsung TV and HDHR is working well with the TV remote which is nice.
I'll have the female unit try it out over the next few days and hopefully, get her approval. :)
Nice work SiliconDust!

marks

Post by marks »

I am very glad to see the Apple TV app and I have installed and tried it. Works great except the DRM live channels do not work. Are they supported yet?

Jackamus
Device ID: 1316E070, 1323748C, 13253D8E

Post by Jackamus »

marks wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:32 am I am very glad to see the Apple TV app and I have installed and tried it. Works great except the DRM live channels do not work. Are they supported yet?
I am lucky my cable provider doesn't place any restrictions on my channels.

garethw
Silicondust

Post by garethw »

marks wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:32 am I am very glad to see the Apple TV app and I have installed and tried it. Works great except the DRM live channels do not work. Are they supported yet?
Not supported in this app quite yet..

marks

Post by marks »

Thank for the quick reply about DRM.

I like the fact that I can slide on the trackpad on the remote to rewind and fast forward, though there is no progress bar to know where I am but maybe someday it can be added.

jk

Post by jk »

Happy to see an Apple TV app. As others have mentioned, DRM channels not there yet. Also, I have FiOS service, all channels are showing up in the menu- that's ch. 2 to ch. 5000 something... obviously, this is an issue, so I hope there are plans in the works to add a facility to select only the channels one watches so I can filter out all the foreign language channels and channels I have no interest in ever watching. Also, since I have 2 Primes and 8 HDHR4's on my network, I would like to be able to select the tuner(s) I want the AppleTV app to look at. I can do that right now with the 'Channels' app for AppleTV and it really makes life easy... I devote one of the Primes to my iOS devices and AppleTVs and the other Prime and HDHR4's are devoted to my WMC DVR's, and that way there's never any conflicts with scheduled recordings.

What the AppleTV app does, it does well- video and audio are excellent... looking forward to operational improvements.

epee4fun

Post by epee4fun »

I downloaded the app and am running it on tvOS 14. The sound output with the surround decoder active on my Yamaha reciever in Straight, Surround Decoder, or Standard is only active on left and center channels. If I force a two or seven channel output it is better but not correctly distributed. I'm comparing to the Channels app, which works as expected. My setup is Apple TV 4k -> Samsung Q6F -> Yamaha RX-675, all connected via HDMI. Edit: same result on a yamaha soundbar, Apple TV -> Yamaha soundbar -> Samsung HDTV.

grumpygramp

Post by grumpygramp »

jk wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:44 am Happy to see an Apple TV app. As others have mentioned, DRM channels not there yet. Also, I have FiOS service, all channels are showing up in the menu- that's ch. 2 to ch. 5000 something... obviously, this is an issue, so I hope there are plans in the works to add a facility to select only the channels one watches so I can filter out all the foreign language channels and channels I have no interest in ever watching. Also, since I have 2 Primes and 8 HDHR4's on my network, I would like to be able to select the tuner(s) I want the AppleTV app to look at. I can do that right now with the 'Channels' app for AppleTV and it really makes life easy... I devote one of the Primes to my iOS devices and AppleTVs and the other Prime and HDHR4's are devoted to my WMC DVR's, and that way there's never any conflicts with scheduled recordings.

What the AppleTV app does, it does well- video and audio are excellent... looking forward to operational improvements.
The following might be what you're looking for.
From this post:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=72012

FAQ/FYI –
How to Remove Channels
post by GetMatt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:37 am
“If you go to my.hdhomerun.com when connected to the same network as your DVR you'll see your tuner(s). Go to the channel list for each tuner and you will see a star next to the channels. Clicking on those will toggle them between:

Grey Star - Normal
Gold Star - Favorite
X - Disabled

If a show is set to record and airs on two channels at the same time it should record from the Favorite channel. But disabling the other channel works great.”

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

To add on to that... WMC does not use such scan results so any tuner you wish to use exclusively by WMC, you can disable all the channels, though you may need to do other things depending on guide source as I'm not sure if you use SD's DVR to get xml for epg123 if it uses tuners not configured to get the lineup from SD but epg123 should have no issue getting it from the other SD (schedules direct).

Generally there should be no reason to disable for recordings as WMC would just move on to the next (yes it may pop up an erroneous error). There is reason to disable from things that use the modern method of tuning if you frequently use WMC for live as it (usually) won't move on to the next tuner for live. If you use channels DVR (rather than SD's), I'm not sure of the Channels DVR logic if it also needs to fall over to a separate tuner (but I believe it does).

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Just downloaded the app. As someone else noted no DRM channels are working.

I use a Harmony Universal Remote with my AppleTV and none of the number buttons are going through so I can't directly address any of the channels.
Can you tell us which remote keys do what? I'd like to be able to get to the Setup screen.

Great first release!

EricHD

Post by EricHD »

Great timing! I just bought my HDHomerun Connect yesterday for use with Apple TV, tested it with VLC, and was about to ask for app recommendations when I received an email announcing the release of the app, which I downloaded immediately.

However, the video is not playing smoothly in the app. It freezes roughly every 3 to 5 seconds for 1/2 second. The same channels play smoothly in VLC.

marks

Post by marks »

The HDhomerun app video is working fine for me with no delays and my Apple TV boxes are wirelessly connected to my router.
Is your Apple TV wirelessly connected to your router? If so, I wonder if you need a bit stronger connection between your router and your apple TV. Check your signal strength in the Apple TV settings. VLC may have been a little more tolerant of a weaker connection. You can try as a test connecting your router with an Ethernet cable to your Apple TV to see if that helps. If you want to stay wireless you may need a stronger router or move your router closer to your Apple TV.
Or some router have two networks to choose from i.e.2.4GHz or 5GHz, and 2.4 reaches farther I believe but 5 is faster but cannot reach as far.
My router automatically decides whether to select 2.4 or 5 when it makes each connection.
I have an Apple Airport Extreme router which they do not sell anymore but I have been very happy with it.

EricHD

Post by EricHD »

Everything is going through ethernet 100 Mbit/s, cat 6 wiring. It's not a network speed issue. It looks more like a decoding issue.

I just rebooted to test and problem persists. SD channels work fine, HD channels video freezes but there's no gap in audio. It just skips a few frames every few seconds.

Apple TV 4k (A1842, 32Gb), tvOS 13.4.8, 1080p output.

marks

Post by marks »

I am on TvOS 14, so wonder if you upgrade to that if it would help you.
Also, I am running HDHomerun firmware and DVR at 20200907 .