Converting Android engine from Beta to Release?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
PTSD

Converting Android engine from Beta to Release?

Post by PTSD »

Like others have reported here, after upgrading my HDHomeRun firmware I am now seeing an out-of-date warning for the RECORD engine at My HDHomeRun:

HDHomeRun RECORD
X Version 20200803

We are using an Android TV box to host the recording engine. I previously installed the Beta version of the HDHomeRun app but there seems to be no way to convert that directly to the latest Released version.

There's also a warning in Setting up DVR storage on a certified Android TV device that says "WARNING: Android will automatically delete your recordings if you uninstall the HDHomeRun app. This is an Android OS limitation and not under the control of Silicondust."

It seems that to avoid losing our recordings, one workaround might be:

- shutdown the Android TV
- remove the storage drive
- power the ATV back on
- uninstall the beta app
- install the released app
- shut down the ATV again
- reinstall the storage drive

Will that procedure preserve the actual recorded files, or will they just get wiped after powering the ATV back on?
And even if that does preserve the recorded files, will they be properly indexed back into the HDHomeRun app?

Any suggestions?

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Re: Converting Android engine from Beta to Release?

Post by leerandall »

Your listed procedure is the one that has worked for me for multiple DVR engine updates on my Shield.

Note that the Android DVR engine update has not yet been released. It was stated in another thread that it could be a few more days before we see it.

PTSD

Re: Converting Android engine from Beta to Release?

Post by PTSD »

leerandall wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:11 pm
Your listed procedure is the one that has worked for me for multiple DVR engine updates on my Shield.
Great news, thanks for the confirmation!
leerandall wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:11 pm
Note that the Android DVR engine update has not yet been released. It was stated in another thread that it could be a few more days before we see it.
OK, was not aware of that, thanks also for that info. I guess I should be in no hurry to upgrade at this point...