Windows Store Version Incorrect?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
dougyndot

Windows Store Version Incorrect?

Post by dougyndot »

I followed the link to the Windows Store to download the new version of the Windows 10 HDHR View app (20200707). The Windows Store shows the release date as 10/21/2017 and when I go to install it shows "this product is installed". I can't find the actual SW version on the Store so other than the date I can't confirm the version.

Am I missing something?

thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Windows Store Version Incorrect?

Post by signcarver »

Am I missing something?
The fact that the app for windows 10 didn't change...

From the changelog:
Windows:
[*]Upgrade libraries to support latest TLS security requirements (fixes guide on Windows 7/8, fixes scan for legacy devices).
[*]HDHomeRun Setup: Auto-detect JRiver Media Center.
[*]Update firmware to 20200907.
[*]Drop Vista support.
[*]Drop Totalmedia support.

The software they were referring to is the full package, not the app and the main change (other than updating firmware) since last release were for the old "VIEW" app (for windows 7/8, I try to call that app VIEW to differentiate it from HDHomeRun) not the windows store HDHomeRun app (for windows 10) to be able to connect with the new security on the servers (since win 7 doesn't get updates).

dougyndot

Post by dougyndot »

I found that the version had changed here...

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/downloads#beta_software

Look at the version for Viewing App... so would this page be a mistake?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

what you linked to was beta but the latest is release so that is what is downloaded... that is referring to the full HDHomeRun software package (the clue there is it says "installer" and if you look at the notes it says it includes Setup application, firmware updates for HDHomeRun hardware, and DVR storage software and will attempt to sideload the Windows 10 app on Windows 10, or install the older version of the viewer app for Windows 7/8.), not just the hdhomerun app. For most it is used to update their firmware and install the dvr. I have already mentioned the changes to that (which does not include the windows 10 app). Occasionally when they do package the software everything (including app) does update version number but not always. For the installer to update the app, sideloading must be enabled but I just verified on two machines that it did not change the win 10 app which isn't surprising as it listed no changes to that app and according to the changelog the last update to app was:
HDHomeRun App - Windows 10 (20200529 / 1.1.293.x)
* Support running multiple instances of the HDHomeRun app on one computer.

Also on that page...
All of the beta installers will be marked as updated, even if only one part has a change. For example, if one HDHomeRun model has a new beta firmware, the entire Windows and Mac installers will be updated, even though other parts might not have a beta update (DVR, app, etc).

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

dougyndot wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:29 am
I found that the version had changed here...

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/downloads#beta_software

Look at the version for Viewing App... so would this page be a mistake?
It's a tricky thing to note, because the download can be updated and marked as a higher version, but one component of the Windows software might still be the older version. So if the DVR component is updated, the date/version changes for the entire package, even if the viewing app or setup utility might still be on an older version.

I should work on that page and make it a little clearer, maybe have a breakdown of each component.