Update RECORD firmware ?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
RWFarley

Update RECORD firmware ?

Post by RWFarley »

When I run http://my.hdhomerun.com I see 2 boxes. On the right it shows
HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO 10700791
Version 20200521
183 Channels
With green check marks in front of Version and Channels

On the left I see
HDHomeRun RECORD
Version 20200225
with a red x in front of Version. When I click on Version 20200225 I'm taken to a mostly empty web page. I see "Easy installation guide" above 3 circles "Step 1" "Step 2" "Step 3" as well as some web page elements, but no other text. I can click on things, but nothing happens.

This prompts 2 questions:
1) Do I need to upgrade the Frimware for the RECORD engine?
2) How?

I have an HDHR5-4US, and a Seagate SRN21C NAS

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Update RECORD firmware ?

Post by signcarver »

You need to install an updated engine on your NAS as it should be at 20200521. How you do that depends on how you installed it in the first place but most probably used the nas installer from the hdhomerun setup on windows but I seem to recall that some had to resort to manual installs on that device.

RWFarley

Post by RWFarley »

I really don't recall the details of how I origianlly installed RECORD. I recall it took a number of attempts, I believe during the "main" install, to get the NAS bit working. I recall Adding HDHomeRun as User on the NAS was key, but I don't recall What program I was invoking to do the install.

IF it was installed during the "normal" HDHomeRun software, shouldn't the RECORD firmware have been upgraded when I updated the CONNECT software?

What program do I run?

Thanks in advance

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

RECORD is not firmware , it is software... to install on a NAS, you must tell the setup software to install to the NAS. It might already say "use nas" on the DVR tab but from that, most would need to click NAS install but from what I remember about that box, you would need to download the record software for linux (hdhomerun_record_linux) typically rename it without the _linux) to your "share" ssh into the box and cd to that share and ./hdhomerun_record (the .conf file should be in that directory and if you are cd'd to that directory won't need to specify the location of hdhomerun.conf).

If necessary you can download the record software from the following info page (which also explains how to manually install under linux): https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:linux

Prior to doing so, you may wish to look at the current status of your engine to find out it's RecordPath in case you need it and somehow can't get at the engine again. Unfortunately the posts for that NAS are long gone from this forum as I don't recall anyone reporting installing such in the past few years on one but you (or someone in your home) did it sometime between February 25th and May 21st based on the dates you reported.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Run the NAS installer again and it will update: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:nas ... windows_pc

RWFarley

Post by RWFarley »

I thought I had it solved, but maybe not. As I ran the installer, I got a message that an update was available. I ran that, which seems to have updated the "viewing" software, then tried to update the DVR. It seemed to work, but I see the same red X. My notes are below.

Ran "HDHomeRun Setup"
Starting installer prompted a software update.
Updated Client SW
Installer (Advanced tab says: Version 20200907)
---
Tab: "DVR"; Button "NAS Install"
Select "PersonalCloud"
SSH Session: Acct. Pass.
Model: Seagate NAS
SSH Enabled: Ok
SSH Session: Ok
NAS Architecture: armv7l
HDHomeRun Share: Ok
Installing Service: Ok
Configuring Service: Ok
Starting Service: Ok
SUCCESS

Then I checked:
HDHomeRun: Version 20200529(App)/20200902(UI)
http://my.hdhomerun.com
CONNECT Version 20200907 {green check}
RECORD Version 20200225 {red X}

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Try rebooting the NAS now. It probably didn't stop the old DVR binary.

RWFarley

Post by RWFarley »

SUCCESS!!!
Power cycling the NAS and "sudo ./hdhomerun_record start" got it!!

HDHomeRun RECORD
Version 20200907 (Green check)

Thanks for all the help.