End of CableCard support - per FCC?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: End of CableCard support - per FCC?

Post by ebo »

djp952 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:36 pm I find it very unlikely that Verizon, Comcast, etc. will kill your CableCARDs anytime soon.
Since no cable companies would ever have offered CableCARDs for third-party equipment if the FCC hadn't forced them to, I think they'll kill their use as quickly as they can. Instead of immediately dropping them outright, they might increase the different delivery methods that CableCARDs can't deal with, like streaming, or that are (legally or financially) difficult for third parties to offer, like full DRM support. Some users will give in and go back to renting STBs and DVRs, which is what the companies want. But others will drop cable TV entirely, as I did years ago.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

ebo wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:38 am
djp952 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:36 pm I find it very unlikely that Verizon, Comcast, etc. will kill your CableCARDs anytime soon.
Since no cable companies would ever have offered CableCARDs for third-party equipment if the FCC hadn't forced them to, I think they'll kill their use as quickly as they can. Instead of immediately dropping them outright, they might increase the different delivery methods that CableCARDs can't deal with, like streaming, or that are (legally or financially) difficult for third parties to offer, like full DRM support. Some users will give in and go back to renting STBs and DVRs, which is what the companies want. But others will drop cable TV entirely, as I did years ago.
Comcast is already beta testing Streaming on My Roku I get livetv and on demand. So I do not need any boxes from them.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter »

EddieP wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:41 am
ebo wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:38 am
Comcast is already beta testing Streaming on My Roku I get livetv and on demand. So I do not need any boxes from them.
This model likely includes charging an outlet fee per box.

3579mike777

Post by 3579mike777 »

I have had my HD HomeRun Prime since 2013. Even a modest cost of $15 per month DVR rental, I have saved $1,260 in rental costs. Even with the expense of the Prime and upgrades to computer and hard drives, I am way ahead. Plus I still have a bunch of recordings from years ago. I use Kodi to play old WMC files.

I hope Comcast doesn't try to kill them. It would be easy to do, just remove the cable card address and claim you can't get a new one. I am hoping they don't do this because they are already bleeding cable TV subscribers to streaming.

BTW, because of hills in Seattle area, I get zero decent OTA channels. Just garbage channels from Bellevue.

camtah

Post by camtah »

In my case (Comcast/Xfinity), it has become apparent that they would like to move to all IPTV. Newer channel additions and more on demand programming appear to be IP only so the CC won't be in play anyway. The move to all IPTV is actually smart, but not for us that still use CC and the associated hardware. Like most, I have been waiting for the new 6 tuner, but I fear that it may not make sense going forward. It's a shame as the HDHR is great for my application where I don't want to pay rent for tuners that I seldom use. Maybe SD should build a streaming box to compete with Nvidia, ATV, etc...

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474, 108449D

Post by elabra »

Thunderthud wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:49 pm
Keenan wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 pm
That would be the only direction they could go, a streaming channel package and OTA tuners. Has there ever been an ATSC 3.0 tuner even talked about here?
Yes on ATSC 3.0. Check out hardware forum. Wish SD could partner with a Philo or someone to do a replacement for Premium.
+1!

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Post by Keenan »

I wonder when SD is going to announce that the Prime 6 project has been discontinued?

Karter

Post by Karter »

I am already considering dropping cable and switching to a streaming platform based on price alone.

Honestly, the only reason I haven't is because of everything I invested in my SD setup.

Here is my question;
Why should I select SD HDHomerun Premium TV which requires a tuner over another service as Sling or Youtube TV which doesn't?
is there an upside to it?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Karter wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:17 pm Why should I select SD HDHomerun Premium TV which requires a tuner over another service as Sling or Youtube TV which doesn't?
Well, considering there is no more Premium TV, and hasn't been for quite some time, I think you ought to look at other options.

Karter

Post by Karter »

rpcameron wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:21 pm
Karter wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:17 pm Why should I select SD HDHomerun Premium TV which requires a tuner over another service as Sling or Youtube TV which doesn't?
Well, considering there is no more Premium TV, and hasn't been for quite some time, I think you ought to look at other options.
Well, that's a damn good answer, I learn something new every day

GaryDouglas

Post by GaryDouglas »

"Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!"
Oliver Hardy

nojava

Post by nojava »

Funny. Last time I opened my set top (some time ago!) it had a cablecard in it!
Several Years Ago!