End of CableCard support - per FCC?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

End of CableCard support - per FCC?

Post by Thunderthud »

Just saw an article online that the FCC is no longer requiring cable companies to support CableCards. But "suggests" that they continue to support them. If true, YIKES!

ImNotSerious

Re: End of CableCard support - per FCC?

Post by ImNotSerious »

I just read the FCC paper from Friday and actually I don’t have a problem with it, as personally disappointed as I am.

The goals of forcing providers to allow self installs and to provide personal equipment to avoid rental fees are, as they pointed out, replicated without the need for CableCARD, mainly with apps.

I would also agree that it would be silly of providers to turn off the cable cards in an environment of dwindling subscribers, but to let them die a slow death as a worse case.

My teens watched exactly 1 show on the family big screen this year, and it was because I forced them to watch “Hamilton” with me.

The next generation doesn’t have strong ties to our older ideas of TV, and it’s all just going to die with us.

Keeping old rules on the books just adds difficulty to the cable providers already increasing competition.

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Post by Keenan »

Makes one wonder if the to-date-vaporous Prime 6 will ever see the light of day.

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud »

Keenan wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:47 pm
Makes one wonder if the to-date-vaporous Prime 6 will ever see the light of day.
Wouldn't make much sense at this point, if true.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

Well it was a matter of time. Maybe Silicondust can try to provide something similar to their Premium TV.

Keenan

Post by Keenan »

I would guess that MVPDs will continue to support existing CableCARD users but will not be making anymore available for use in customer equipment meaning anyone looking to get a Prime 6 will be out of luck. And then at some point, those existing users will get a notice from their provider that CableCARD support is ending and they'll offer them cable company STBs or streaming options.

Keenan

Post by Keenan »

EddieP wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:35 pm
Well it was a matter of time. Maybe Silicondust can try to provide something similar to their Premium TV.
That would be the only direction they could go, a streaming channel package and OTA tuners. Has there ever been an ATSC 3.0 tuner even talked about here?

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud »

Keenan wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 pm

That would be the only direction they could go, a streaming channel package and OTA tuners. Has there ever been an ATSC 3.0 tuner even talked about here?
Yes on ATSC 3.0. Check out hardware forum. Wish SD could partner with a Philo or someone to do a replacement for Premium.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

Thunderthud wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:49 pm
Keenan wrote:

Yes on ATSC 3.0. Check out hardware forum. Wish SD could partner with a Philo or someone to do a replacement for Premium.
Luckily Channels has TVE which has 95% of the channels I watch.

Keenan

Post by Keenan »

EddieP wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:51 pm
Thunderthud wrote:
Keenan wrote:

You know I've haven't had any problems with the Prime and Channels combo on an Apple TV4K I wasn't even aware of TVE, I'll have to take a look at that option.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

Keenan wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:56 pm
EddieP wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:51 pm
Thunderthud wrote:

You know I've haven't had any problems with the Prime and Channels combo on an Apple TV4K I wasn't even aware of TVE, I'll have to take a look at that option.
I am going to see if I can Survive with Just TVE and My Roku for On Demand remove Primes from Channels DVR just an experiment.

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud »

I would really like to have a way to stick with SD rather than going with Channels.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

Thunderthud wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:17 pm
I would really like to have a way to stick with SD rather than going with Channels.
One thing that they implemented in Channels DVR which I like is the ability to import Movies and TVShows from other Sources.... but I would like to see Premium TV make a comeback.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Perhaps it may be best to "wait and see" what the cable companies decide to do before jumping ship and/or freaking out? If you read the entire document from the FCC there is still a stated need for a consumer-friendly solution, but they decided that CableCARD is not likely to be that solution moving forward. What I read was that the FCC will no longer hold providers responsible for support (and usage reporting) of CableCARD. I agree that it's likely that providers will start to drop CableCARD support, but that takes time, and unless I misread/misunderstood something there will also be a need to fill that void.

We don't know how the providers will react to this, nor do we know how the FCC will interpret their actions. There is also an election coming up rather soon in the US that could either continue the current business-friendly attitude or swing things back to consumer-friendly. Personally, I'd at least wait to see how that event works out before going too crazy here. I find it very unlikely that Verizon, Comcast, etc. will kill your CableCARDs anytime soon.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

These caught my eye from FCC pdf.

9. "We eliminate the CableCARD consumer support rules. We conclude that these rules no
longer serve a useful purpose following the D.C. Circuit’s 2013 decision in Echostar."

11. "We also find that retention of the CableCARD support rules is unnecessary to ensure that
cable operators continue to support retail CableCARD devices during their expected lifetime."

12. "Finally, we conclude that it is appropriate to eliminate the requirement that the largest
cable operators report about CableCARD support and deployment on a quarterly basis.51"

Might be time to EBAY my primes while they still have value.