New Record This Channel Feature

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
otrfan84128

Re: New Record This Channel Feature

Post by otrfan84128 »

Basing everything on metadata is definitely the more sophisticated methodology. Unfortunately there are many services that do not provide any; the worst offender is Buzzr and I don't see them changing their ways. In many cases, I suspect they don't have the metadata due to the vintage tapes and films they use; although with a little effort they could probably find it. Without going into a rant about them specifically, there are certainly other use cases where a simple timer function would be quite useful.

marks

Post by marks »

The feature works great! Thanks.

MonkMad
Device ID: 10430024, 131A4FBC

Post by MonkMad »

Nate, Ned and rest of the SiliconDust team: Great work on this feature!

May I suggest an enhancement, where it is possible to select more than one channel to record a show, or exclude some channels? Similar to discussions above, I have some shows which are being shown on multiple channels (e.g.
OTA Channel #1 - Current season,
OTA channel #2 - reruns,
Cable #1 - SD Current Season,
Cable #2 - HD Current season,
Cable #3 - reruns
)

Now, in this scenario, I'd like HDHR to record the current season, but only on channels OTA #1 and Cable #2.

Hope this makes sense. Otherwise I can provide screenshots. :)

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra »

MonkMad wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:44 pm Nate, Ned and rest of the SiliconDust team: Great work on this feature!

May I suggest an enhancement, where it is possible to select more than one channel to record a show, or exclude some channels? Similar to discussions above, I have some shows which are being shown on multiple channels (e.g.
OTA channel #2 - reruns,
Cable #3 - reruns
)

Now, in this scenario, I'd like HDHR to record the current season, but only on channels OTA #1 and Cable #2.

Hope this makes sense. Otherwise I can provide screenshots. :)
+1

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

MonkMad wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:44 pm May I suggest an enhancement, where it is possible to select more than one channel to record a show, or exclude some channels? Similar to discussions above, I have some shows which are being shown on multiple channels (e.g.
OTA channel #2 - reruns,
Cable #3 - reruns
)

This is supported today by creating a current-season recording task. The record engine will try OTA channel #1 first, then Cable channel #2 if there are no OTA tuners available.

Nick

MonkMad

Post by MonkMad »

nickk wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:02 pm
MonkMad wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:44 pm ...
This is supported today by creating a current-season recording task. The record engine will try OTA channel #1 first, then Cable channel #2 if there are no OTA tuners available.

Nick
Thanks Nick. Does this mean the DVR prioritizes HD channels over SD, and OTA over Cable? Also, if yes, is this prioritization user configurable?

One more thing: Some channels don't post their re-runs as "reruns", rather they seem to post them as first-runs in the guide (I'm assuming there is some flag?) e.g. A local "CW type" OTA channel starts showing reruns of Modern Family, but they treat S1E1 as first run (probably because it is their first run :roll: ). This can cause some unwanted recordings. So, excluding a channel from a group of channels for a show, would still be a good feature.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Yes hd is preferred and ota over cable but keep in mind it is first come first served so if the episode airs first on an SD cable channel that will record rather than the HD ota channel. When on at the same time the only user configuration is making a channel a favorite as that is preferred but any tuner with the same number can be used. Also keep in mind that half of the will it record recording logic is on whether or not the engine already has a copy and the other half is in the cloud as to whether or not to even present it as a candidate to record.

What guide are you talking about as SD's guide has no visible such concept of new/rerun. Behind the scenes it knows original air date and what nickk mentioned about current season is actually originally aired in past 90 days. It also has a behind the scenes concept of new (FirstAiring) that "always" records but It would be extremely rare for a channel (other than pbs or stations you have both east/west coast feeds) to get such listing marked as such when it isn't.

MonkMad

Post by MonkMad »

The "guide" was my guess about how the first-run, re-run logic works. :D Thanks for the details @signcarver, very helpful. I'm still wrapping my head around how this logic works, having been used to WMC (like most of us).

Where does the "behind the scenes" original air date come from; is it channel provided (in broadcast stream) or guide provided?

I guess that could explain my issue, where my local channel (KTXH) has reruns of The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, The Simpsons, Dateline, Chicago P.D., America Says, The Wendy Williams Show, The Real, TMZ on TV, The Dr. Oz Show and Judge Judy (among others). Could a show on this channel, which has not been seen anywhere else in the past 90 days, be considered as a first-run?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Could it, yes but it is extremely rare on all channels but PBS as whenever it is on PBS and was on some other channel (including other PBS channel) and is the first time it airs on that station, it would be first run (most notably anything on "masterpiece" as many I have been able to see on bbc america or elsewhere but also that many areas also have multiple pbs stations that air the episode "first" at different times). Typically other channels are networks that air at the same time and/or the channel isn't the original source of the content thus is a rerun. In the past such behavior has even caused issues as many canadian shows have made their way to the US and as a result many aren't listed as a FirstAiring as it aired years ago in canada and typically they "combine" US/Canada in some fashion however with the pandemic I have seen a lot of filler shows on us network tv and they have been "properly" (as in getting the system to work) listed on those networks as new (this also applies to many shows that turn up on syfy that aired in canada much earlier).

What you are more likely to encounter is lack of episode information and if you had recorded one such episode with no such data and still have it around or deleted through app and used the default of not to rerecord again, it won't record another with the same data... most news programs/dailies are like this and thus often get the FirstAiring tag. It used to be possible that if the OriginalAirdate matched the Series original airdate it would record but since they changed providers many years ago the Series original airdate is not available so that function no longer works but that also caused issues with news/dailies that had no episode data as well in recording every airing not just the first each day so for some such may be welcome (I prefer to err on the side of to record so such didn't bother me).

Easiest way for you to look at such is to check zap2it as it will state New, Live, or Premier for anything that is a FirstAiring... though not in the grid if you click the show it displays further information on the show below it... if you click the name in that data, you can see the original air date by selecting (upcoming) episodes.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Actually, re-runs being marked new in the guide (by Gracenote) is quite common on Discovery networks, too. Programs that had a first run on Food, HGTV and Discovery are often marked as "New" in the guide when they first re-air on Cooking, DIY and other channels in their portfolio.

As an example, while the seasonal Baking Championship programs have their initial first runs on Food, when the episodes are aired the following year on Cooking in the run-up to the new season they are marked as "New". So, while the programs were "New" last year on Food, Gracenote marks them "New" this year on Cooking.

The same thing happens across many of the Discovery networks.

Regarding the "Original Air Date", that is supplied by Gracenote in the guide data.

MonkMad

Post by MonkMad »

Thanks for your responses, signcarver and rpcameron.
In order to avoid reverse engineering the logic, and trying to figure out if something will record (or if it will record unwanted episodes), I suggested the enhancement above. I hope it is not that difficult to do, given that we already have "all channels" and "only one channel" logic available. We just need an include or exclude list of channels per recording. I understand that the code behind it might get complicated, or that this enhancement might be lower in priority than other sought after features. (Nate? 😀)

IMHO, this is more user-friendly, and a fool-proof way for novice and non-tech savvy users to get "peace of mind" when scheduling recordings.

[Think about the conversation above, and then think about how many non-hobbyist (a. k. a. "normal" 😉) users will be willing to understand it, to ensure their recordings work the way they want]

ryanjames13

Post by ryanjames13 »

Hi all,

I dont know if this is linked this this issue, but im looking to replace my EE TV sub with HomeRun and Plex, got it all set up and I work of the system perfectly. EE TV is used by my mother. So, i understand that you can watch up to 4 devices on the Quad, but does this count for recording too? Are you limited to 4 recordings at once, 2 people viewing and 2 recording at the same time, etc? I use plex as the server and all recording go through that. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Ryan
Last edited by ryanjames13 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryanjames13

Post by ryanjames13 »

Hi all,

I dont know if this is linked this this issue, but im looking to replace my EE TV sub with HomeRun and Plex, got it all set up and I work of the system perfectly. EE TV is used by my mother. So, i understand that you can watch up to 4 devices on the Quad, but does this count for recording too? Are you limited to 4 recordings at once, 2 people viewing and 2 recording at the same time, etc? I use plex as the server and all recording go through that. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Ryan

MonkMad

Post by MonkMad »

Hi ryanjames13,

Your question is actually not connected to the topic of this thread, but I'll try to answer it. (Mods, please move the question and response to a new thread if possible, thanks)

AFAIK, all TV tuners (and software using them) work the same way. One tuner can only be "tuned" to one frequency (=channel) at a time. A Quad has 4 tuners, so four channels can be "tuned" in parallel.
As for what you do with the channels tuned, depends on you and the software. You can use any combination of watching/recording that you want, as per your software's capabilities (4 recording| 3 recording, 1 watching|2 recording, 2 watching|1 recording, 3 watching|4 watching). With four tuners, you can not have more than 4 channels being watched/recorded in total. Some software will allow you to watch/view a channel being recorded, since it takes up only one tuner. You can also watch a recording (after it is complete), and have the four tuners working on other things in parallel.
Hope this does not confuse things even further :D

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud »

Unfortunately when using this feature it seems to revert from current season to always. My task, now set to my CBS channel, recorded a rerun of NCIS LA in the middle of the night, last night. I put it back to current.