New Record This Channel Feature

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

New Record This Channel Feature

Post by nateb »

This is a big one. With beta 0904 we're unlocking Record by Channel. Now, if you have a specific channel you want to record on for a show, select an episode that's on that channel from the list, then select This Channel from the list of options, and we'll record all episodes that play on only that channel.

Please give it a try and send us your feedback. We'll love to hear what you think!

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: New Record This Channel Feature

Post by Ken.F »

nateb wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:33 pm We'll love to hear what you think!
I think this forum needs a like button. :)

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt »

There does not appear to be a way to change this option on existing tasks or modify on a new task setup with channel only. It looks like it only can be setup with a new task. I tried changing it by clicking “Current Season” and it wont change even change to “All Episodes” Maybe the intent was to change it there?

If it is how do you differentiate Current Season / This Channel and All Episodes / This Channel?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I'm not seeing this option though I have HDHR set to get new features. But I really like the idea!

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

For existing tasks it seems the record this channel feature is only available if the task is set to record all episodes.

Regression: If you have a task already set to record current season you can no longer change it to record all episodes.

Edit: Wait... something is very wonky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The task being set to current season/all episodes does seem to make a difference but not for all tasks. I haven't been able to find a repeatable pattern.

Edit 2: It seems to be more reliable when adding new tasks but that comes with another regression. You can't modify the start/end padding when adding the task. It can be modified from the tasks section after the rule has been created.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Both current tasks and new ones don't do it for me still. Maybe when a cool front arrives it'll show up. :)

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud »

Happy to see you're working on this. Will check it out!

EDIT: Went through and changed several tasks to record specific channel. Looks good to me! Thanks Nate!

wysocki

Post by wysocki »

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm puzzled why anyone would ever need a feature to specify a particular channel that they'd like to use. In my evidently limited experience, I've never seen a show broadcast with the same name on different channels. Maybe this is valid outside the US? Please educate me.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

wysocki wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:15 pm Pardon my ignorance, but I'm puzzled why anyone would ever need a feature to specify a particular channel that they'd like to use. In my evidently limited experience, I've never seen a show broadcast with the same name on different channels. Maybe this is valid outside the US? Please educate me.
Many cable subscriptions carry both SD and HD versions of the same channels, especially broadcast/OTA networks. Or, one network may show current/new episodes, while a different network may have syndication rights for older episodes. Or a sister network/affiliate may air the same programming at a later time/date, which would be beneficial for scheduling recordings to prevent conflicts with a limited number of tuners.

I certain there are many other reasons for wanting to specify the specific channel used for a recording, but these are the first ones that popped into my head.

Also, given how limited the control that SD affords users over scheduling for the DVR, any additional control is quite welcome.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud »

wysocki wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:15 pm Pardon my ignorance, but I'm puzzled why anyone would ever need a feature to specify a particular channel that they'd like to use. In my evidently limited experience, I've never seen a show broadcast with the same name on different channels. Maybe this is valid outside the US? Please educate me.
Some shows are broadcast with no commercials (PBS or a premium network), and also on commercial stations.

Some shows are shown on Channels not in HD, like off air sub-channels, as well as on HD channels.

USA network has marked reruns of network shows, on occasion, as current. I only want the real new network shows to record.

Just a few cases that I can think of at the moment.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

If one has cable and ota, typically the engine prefers ota over cable and typically the ota channel is 5.1 while cable is 5 or even 1005 and 5 might be SD. In some cases one may want a movie from a channel that doesn't have as many commercials or has less edited content. Other cases are multiple pbs channels (or even channels from multiple markets) and you prefer the one that comes in better or the hd channel when a subchannel airs it first in SD. Yes one can disable unwanted channels but often those channels still have unique programming.

There are also programs such as NFL football on multiple channels and occasionally one has to make sure to grab the one not subject to blackout.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

wysocki wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:15 pm In my evidently limited experience, I've never seen a show broadcast with the same name on different channels. Maybe this is valid outside the US? Please educate me.
Most of the premium networks have east/west channels. I always get duplicate recordings of series episodes on those channels unless I tell it to record from only one channel.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Some stations are worse than others when it comes to doing things like trimming shows down to fit more commercials in, censorship (OTA vs cable, or even just OTA when airing at different times of the day), or even things like cropping/stretching the video to make an old show "wide screen". Or worse, they do that thing where the first 30 seconds of a show is shrunk down while the credits from the previous show are still rolling. I would welcome a "record from any channel except TBS" option, because of how bad TBS is about doing that.

otrfan84128

Post by otrfan84128 »

Not sure if this is the right topic to once again request a timer record function. I would, for example, like to set a timer to record channel 23.7 every weekday from 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm. This is the way EyeTV works. Why can't we have this in addition to the current functionality?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

otrfan84128 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:11 pm Not sure if this is the right topic to once again request a timer record function. I would, for example, like to set a timer to record channel 23.7 every weekday from 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm. This is the way EyeTV works. Why can't we have this in addition to the current functionality?
The big holdup for that right now is how to handle those recordings in the app. Right now everything is meta-data based; everything from setting the recording to how the recordings are displayed in the app. Doing a time-based recording is fairly easy, but how to organize it in the DVR engine and app will require something new. Maybe an "uncategorized" row in the recording view, or maybe allow the user to set a show ID and episode number when they set the time recording (if applicable), just as some ideas off the top of my head. A lot of these requests come from people who want to record a specific news program, where each news broadcast is seen as a single show, but you might only want the noon news and not the morning news, nightly news, etc. I believe the developers have some ideas for that situation as well.

It sounds simple, but all sorts of little things come up in actually implementing such features. Even the "record this channel" feature was technically supported for a while in the DVR engine, but there were questions on how to present it in the app. Now that it's out there, I'm sure we'll be getting feedback on this implementation that we can use for further improvements as well.