HDHR Prime Tuners Disappear from DVR

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Broadwing

HDHR Prime Tuners Disappear from DVR

Post by Broadwing »

I've done a fair bit of searching over what I figured should be a simple/frequent issue and saw nothing, so I'm asking here. :)

I have a DVR instance with three tuners, a Connect Duo and two Primes. While the Connect consistently works fine (except when it tries to select a marginal channel), but the Prime tuners will work briefly, then are shown as disappeared (crossed out) in the client and forgotten about by the DVR. They won't come back until I do a significant amount of fiddling (delete with the client UI, then stop and restart the server), but then the process just repeats. Every time the DVR restarts it seems to discover all three tuners (the URLs show up in the log), but may not use them.

Anything I should be looking at? Everything's wired and it shouldn't be a firewall or anything in the way - and the network is very similar between the Connect and Prime tuners, so I don't think it's network.

The DVR is the latest Linux beta running on Ubuntu 20.04. I've tried it with the latest stable and the behavior seems similar.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHR Prime Tuners Disappear from DVR

Post by signcarver »

Discovery is all the same... typically it will prefer the non prime tuners and typically the client would be more buggy about that than the DVR as I have seen some network issues that it doesn't see them before timing out. I'm not sure what happens if the client finds a tuner that wasn't able to connect to the internet and/or if it lost a complete lineup (shouldn't really happen these days as autoscan isn't supposed to remove but there are some cablecard events I think could trigger such) which are things that "could" happen.

If the client does not see the tuner (crossed out), make sure you (or members of your household/those able to get on your network) don't remove it as that will remove the tuner from your DVR account and typically the channel number would be different on the prime than ota/qam (5 vs 5.1) and then only the "ota" channel would present to the DVR. I'd be more interested in logs that show the DVR finding only the other tuners each hour or 2 and not the primes and then check the prime's log for times both before and after that time.

Typically the first/only thing to really go out on a prime is the power supply (not to mention issues with cablecard in general).

Broadwing

Post by Broadwing »

signcarver wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:23 pm
Discovery is all the same... typically it will prefer the non prime tuners and typically the client would be more buggy about that than the DVR as I have seen some network issues that it doesn't see them before timing out. I'm not sure what happens if the client finds a tuner that wasn't able to connect to the internet and/or if it lost a complete lineup (shouldn't really happen these days as autoscan isn't supposed to remove but there are some cablecard events I think could trigger such) which are things that "could" happen.

If the client does not see the tuner (crossed out), make sure you (or members of your household/those able to get on your network) don't remove it as that will remove the tuner from your DVR account and typically the channel number would be different on the prime than ota/qam (5 vs 5.1) and then only the "ota" channel would present to the DVR. I'd be more interested in logs that show the DVR finding only the other tuners each hour or 2 and not the primes and then check the prime's log for times both before and after that time.

Typically the first/only thing to really go out on a prime is the power supply (not to mention issues with cablecard in general).
Unfortunately these are well-worn and I've managed to break in my cable provider into supporting them - they're known to work. I know the power issues well, I've been able to make my own solution on one of them. :) (and to test, I'm able to get VLC streams off them just fine)

I haven't seen any hint of the DVR *dropping* the tuners yet, I'll keep watching. I don't seem to be making recordings on the Primes when this problem occurs, so I didn't figure it to be a client issue.

Broadwing

Post by Broadwing »

Okay, the sparse profile of my recordings so far fooled me, I am still recording. Looks like it might be a UPnP issue between the app and the tuners? But only to the Primes and only (maybe) to wifi clients. I've got more to poke at, I guess!

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra »

Broadwing wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:13 pm
Okay, the sparse profile of my recordings so far fooled me, I am still recording. Looks like it might be a UPnP issue between the app and the tuners? But only to the Primes and only (maybe) to wifi clients. I've got more to poke at, I guess!
I am also getting the infrequent disappearance of my Primes. Interested in what you find out. Thanks