Windows 10 Live Playback Issue

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ppasteur

Re: Windows 10 Live Playback Issue

Post by ppasteur »

Just as a follow-up with a bit of new data:

I just updated to the Version 20201214 (APP)/20201216b(UI).
I also updated the AMD drivers a day ago. Still having the problem.

MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_DECODE : HRESULT - 0xC00D36F2 error window popup. I close the window and get a black screen with "Unable to play channel: white text.

I have tested bandwidth to the tuners and DVR. All a minimum of 500 Mbps.
I sure do miss using the PC for TV.
Nvidia Shield (2) clients working.
LG B7 OLED client working.
I think Nick mentioned passing this along to the developers. Any word on that...
Though I do understand that your people are slammed with fixing the 4k stuff...

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

I need to do some more testing, but I think I solved my problem. I upgraded the PC from 1909 to the latest 20H2 feature upgrade.
So far the problem with the Windows client freezing and throwing the MF_Media_Engine errors has not happened.

EDIT:
This is not the case. I am back to not being able to use the Win 10 HDHR app at all.

I have been using one channel only though. I watched two different times for about an hour each and have seen no problems.

EDIT

It seems the at times when I start the WIN 10 app and do not change the channel, things are OK. But NOT always. Changing channels results in stuttering, freezing, and display of the MF_Media_Engine error message.
Sometimes the app just fails with a black screen and a message that the source cannot be played.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

I am also experiencing this error on three different Windows10 systems. Two wired one WiFi.
Windows10 v20H2(OS Build 19042.685)
Version 20201227(App)/20201221 (UI)
During Live TV viewing, intermittently the following error will pop up on the
screen interrupting the currently displayed channel
MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_DECODE:HRESULT - 0xC00D36F2

Has there been any resolution on this continual error?

tinkerguy

Post by tinkerguy »

This is a serious issue - on my brand new ASUS Laptop with 10th Gen intel with Nvidia RTX 2070 Super - HDHomerun DVR windows app installs and runs perfectly. However on getting Windows Update 10 version 20H2. the app shows a blank screen with dialog box MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_DECODE:HRESULT - 0x80070057.

I backed out 20H2 feature update and the app runs again. Reapply 20H2 and the problem returns so it is a compatibility issue the latest Windows feature update and DVR app.

Note: using Windows own Movies & TV App - the stream can be decoded without issues using DLNA from explorer - so this is not a MPEG decoder issue with the 20H2 version.

Please have your developers investigate this as it prevents a lot of us from moving up to the latest Windows 10 feature release.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

Using the 20210102 client on Win 10 20H2 things now seem to be working fine. I can get all TV channels and change channels without freezing or crashing. Even ATSC 3 channels are working.
The only change was updating the client to the 0102 level.
BTW the UI rev is 20201230. I do have early access to new features enabled.

One unrelated problem (I think) is that the client cannot see the HDHomerun record server on my Synology NAS. It does see the two Nvidia Shield record engines.
All of my other client do see the Synology record engine. Will open a different topic for this one.

tinkerguy

Post by tinkerguy »

On the hope that the latest 20210102 client helps, I reapplied the Windows 20H2 update. Downloaded the HDHomerun updated client and tried - instant MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_DECODE : HRESULT - 0x80070057.
So that did not work for me. Everything on the laptop has the latest drivers. The only workable way to view HDHomerun Prime for me is to use the flaky Windows "Movies and TV" app over DLNA. Not great as there is no UI nor support for DRM channels. Now interestingly, a much older desktop running Windows 10 20H2 seems to have no problem with the HDHomerun viewer. So why is it that a new laptop with stock Windows 10 with only updated drivers not work with the latest windows build?

mudma

Post by mudma »

I'm also having this issue. Did they find any resolution? I really like the product but the instability can be quite annoying for sure.

I use the HDHomerunPRIME.

benniebeeker

Post by benniebeeker »

This just started happening to me out of no where. The only thing I recently changed was my video drivers. I rolled them back and the issue still persists. What I've noticed that that while the video hangs, I loose pings towards the HDHomeRun device but to nothing else on the network or internet. Once the pings return, the picture comes back but throws the below error code. I can't replicate this with any other device that I use the HD client on. (android, other win 10 machines, etc)

mf_media_engine_err_decode hresult 0xc00d36f2

benniebeeker

Post by benniebeeker »

another weird thing is that my app won't find the tuner until I ping the the IP on the HDHomeRun.

benniebeeker

Post by benniebeeker »

I figured this out for my instance. I use Ubiquiti network gear. There's 2 separate SSIDs. One to broadcast 2.4ghz and the other 5ghz. The machine in question is a Windows 10 workstation with a Qualcomm Atheros network adapter (has very limited settings). When I flipped to 2.4ghz, the problem went away. I started to tinker with the 5ghz radio settings and found something called "Enable Airtime Fairness". After disabling this, it started working on 5ghz again.

I haven't yet begun to research what this setting does in detail, but at a high level if you run 10+ clients on a single access point you'll want this enabled. It basically allows equal bandwidth available to all clients connected. Clearly it affects multicast/unicast traffic as I loose packets to the HDHomeRun device but not the rest of my network/internet.

tinkerguy

Post by tinkerguy »

Just want to post an update to my issue with MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_DECODE:HRESULT - 0x80070057 error when upgrading from version 2004 to 20H2.
Since version 20H2 is known to work fine with others, I decided to try a different approach to upgrading my Windows - I reinstalled the OS from scratch using the latest ISO version from Microsoft, bypassing previous versions. This was a tedious process as I had to reinstall from scratch - not update, and so had to re-install all drivers

Amazingly the error is now gone.

I dug a bit deeper into this and found that when using the Windows Update approach instead of a fresh install, it seems like HDHomerun viewer is switched from using the Intel Graphics Adapter to Nvidia discrete adaptor on the laptop. This happens on Optimus laptops which feature both integrated Intel graphics and Nvidia discrete graphics adaptors. You can apparently choose which adapter to use with certain applications and HDHomerun needs to use the integrated Intel graphics. Strangely on desktop systems, the Nvidia GPU works fine. Hope this little discovery helps others who are trying to use this application on a laptop with Optimus dual graphics.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

This last is interesting. Showing a possible video card driver or hardware issue.
I am still having the problem intermittently combined with some instances of the black screen and "unable to display channel, Protocol error.
Using an AMD card. latest drivers in the last week or so. Win 10 20H2. I have the current version of the software/firmware versions for all of my devices.

Duo, Quatro, and Quatro 4k. Two DVRs on Shield, one on Synology NAS. My Win 10 laptop with 20H2 is working (Intel/Nvidia video). Fire 10 HD tablet is OK but failing on ATSC3 (another/different problem, I am sure).
Again, I am happy to troubleshoot with anyone having an interest in fixing this. Judging by this thread, though not widespread, it is a continuing problem for some forum members.
Probably lots of others as well.

Please Help!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I will ask the development team how to best approach troubleshooting this. Maybe we can come up with a troubleshooting guide that can walk people through various tests to help isolate what might be the issue. I know there are some quirks with Ubiquiti equipment, but some of you are not using any Ubiquiti hardware. Some of the media engine errors might indicate networking issues, but some of the codes posted here are not related to that (for example, 0x80070057 could be some corrupt audio or GPU driver).

jbhall

Post by jbhall »

I ended up in this thread because I too have started getting the 0xC00D36F2 variant of this error now on a regular basis since the February 2021 Microsoft Patch Tuesday update. It occurred at random times to start out but I have seen the error four time this morning in the last two hours. I too have Nvidia video board and the drivers are current. This seems to clear for a bit when the system is rebooted. I am running Windows 10 20H2 on a 9th gen i5 processor with 32GB of RAM and a 512GB M2 C: drive.

jbhall

Post by jbhall »

Now I am getting the OxC0OD3E84 as well as the 0xCOOD36F2 and can get them both.

Near as I can tell, the 0xCOOD36F2 is issued first and then I get whatever else. I have had up to three error dialogs at once.