Questions on DVR behavior

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
wgf_bean

Questions on DVR behavior

Post by wgf_bean »

I'm considering using the DVR service. Currently I'm still using WMC on a Win 7 system and would like to move away from that for obvious reasons. I have a few basic questions that I can't seem to find the answers to:

(1) What file format is used for the recordings? I need to be able to copy some of the recordings out of the temporary recording folder to a more permanent location and be able to edit them with VideoRedo. Once moved I will use a different player. (I understand I can't do cable content that is a pay channel.)

(2) Please excuse this long lead up to the question... I have both HDHomeRun PRIME HDHR3-CC (Cable) and HDHomeRun PRIME HDHR3-US (OTA). I would like to be able to record the same program from both of these at the same time. On occasion I record a sporting event. These are one offs so if the recording is bad there's not a second chance to try again, hence the desire to record both cable and OTA. This gives me a backup. If the cable fails I have the OTA recording and visa versa. WMC can do this for me but I have to manually tell it to record a specific channel for a certain time. If I tell it to record the program that doesn't work because it decides which channel to record from. So I might tell it to record the a program using the cable channel, and also the same program on the OTA channel. WMC is too smart for itself because behind the scenes it will pick the same source which defeats what I'm trying to do. This is why I need to manually tell WMC to record a specific channel number and time rather than a program. I was wondering how this is handled with the SD software. Can it record the same program from two different sources?

(3) How large an end padding can I enter for a recording? WMC tops out at 3 hours.

(4) If I see the program being recorded is going way over the expected time can I adjust the end padding once it has already started recording? WMC allows me to do this. Think sporting playoff events that go multiple overtimes.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Questions on DVR behavior

Post by signcarver »

wgf_bean wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:47 pm
(1) What file format is used for the recordings? I need to be able to copy some of the recordings out of the temporary recording folder to a more permanent location and be able to edit them with VideoRedo. Once moved I will use a different player. (I understand I can't do cable content that is a pay channel.)
It is a TS with a .mpg extension some software would prefer you to rename it to .ts rather than .mpg
wgf_bean wrote:
(2) Please excuse this long lead up to the question... I have both HDHomeRun PRIME HDHR3-CC (Cable) and HDHomeRun PRIME HDHR3-US (OTA). I would like to be able to record the same program from both of these at the same time. On occasion I record a sporting event. These are one offs so if the recording is bad there's not a second chance to try again, hence the desire to record both cable and OTA. This gives me a backup. If the cable fails I have the OTA recording and visa versa. WMC can do this for me but I have to manually tell it to record a specific channel for a certain time. If I tell it to record the program that doesn't work because it decides which channel to record from. So I might tell it to record the a program using the cable channel, and also the same program on the OTA channel. WMC is too smart for itself because behind the scenes it will pick the same source which defeats what I'm trying to do. This is why I need to manually tell WMC to record a specific channel number and time rather than a program. I was wondering how this is handled with the SD software. Can it record the same program from two different sources?
There is no PRIME that can do OTA the 3rd gen ota product was affectionately called the DUAL but had no name like prime, connect, scribe, duo or quatro, though I believe "dual" did make it later on some packaging. The 3rd gen ota unit is a legacy product and can't be used with SD's DVR. Assuming you update that to a connect (scribe, duo, quatro and soon quatro 4k), it typically prefers OTA over cable but you can favorite a channel and it would choose that channel (assuming different channel number like 5.1 vs 5 and guide has it starting at the same time) you can also schedule one offs but I forget the latest status when the same program is on at the same time though sports sometimes is more forgiving.
wgf_bean wrote:
(3) How large an end padding can I enter for a recording? WMC tops out at 3 hours.
max is 3 hours
wgf_bean wrote:
(4) If I see the program being recorded is going way over the expected time can I adjust the end padding once it has already started recording? WMC allows me to do this. Think sporting playoff events that go multiple overtimes.
I have never tried such... in theory it should update by poking the engine when such changes are made but the way the dvr behaves it appears to specify how long to run to the tuner at the start as you can't stop such in progress easily.

wgf_bean

Post by wgf_bean »

signcarver wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm
There is no PRIME that can do OTA the 3rd gen ota product was affectionately called the DUAL but had no name like prime, connect, scribe, duo or quatro, though I believe "dual" did make it later on some packaging. The 3rd gen ota unit is a legacy product and can't be used with SD's DVR.
It's OK if I need to update the hardware.
signcarver wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm
Assuming you update that to a connect (scribe, duo, quatro and soon quatro 4k), it typically prefers OTA over cable but you can favorite a channel and it would choose that channel (assuming different channel number like 5.1 vs 5 and guide has it starting at the same time) you can also schedule one offs but I forget the latest status when the same program is on at the same time though sports sometimes is more forgiving.
Hmm. It sounds like it can't be done. WMC allows you to manually set a "Channel and Time" which is very different from a program. In SD if I favorite a channel as you suggest, then wouldn't it only record just that one and not the other at the same time? Perhaps I need to submit a feature request.

wgf_bean

Post by wgf_bean »

I have confirmed with support that the software is not capable of doing this. WMC is still more powerful in this area. Support said they don't know how to add the ability to manually enter a channel and time rather than picking a program from the guide. They said it's incompatible with how the logic works as it would see a duplicate and not record. WMC keeps track of program recording and manually recordings separately so there is no conflict. Microsoft figured out how to do this years ago and it's great for those special cases when the guide has an error, or you simply want to force record the same program via two different channels to have a back up.

Unfortunately I will not be subscribing to SD DVR since WMC is still a much better answer for me. I have several friends that also require the ability to record critical content in this way and I'm certain we're not the only ones. We all record sporting events that frequently have last minute scheduling changes that the guide can't keep up with reliably. Relying on the guide for us equates to lost recording which never air a second time. These friend will also stick with WMC.

I guess the Microsoft team was a bit more clever than SD when it comes to scheduled recordings.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

You can specify a one-time-recording (exact channel + timeslot in the guide). A one-time-recording will record an episode even if the system thinks you already have that episode.

Nick

wgf_bean

Post by wgf_bean »

nickk wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:04 pm
You can specify a one-time-recording (exact channel + timeslot in the guide). A one-time-recording will record an episode even if the system thinks you already have that episode.

Nick
If that's true then I'll be signing up.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

nickk wrote:
Can a one-time recording be specified separate from a guide listing? Meaning, can I set a task to record on channel 7.1 on Sundays, from 6–7 pm, regardless of what is airing in that time slot, and irrespective of when programs on that channel may start or end, and regularly maintain the task, even when the program(s) airing in that time slot may differ week–to–week?

You know, schedule a program to record the way I could with my VCR in the 80s and 90s?

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

rpcameron wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:12 pm
nickk wrote:
Can a one-time recording be specified separate from a guide listing? Meaning, can I set a task to record on channel 7.1 on Sundays, from 6–7 pm, regardless of what is airing in that time slot, and irrespective of when programs on that channel may start or end, and regularly maintain the task, even when the program(s) airing in that time slot may differ week–to–week?

You know, schedule a program to record the way I could with my VCR in the 80s and 90s?
Not currently, but I believe that has been a 'back-burner' thing they've wanted to add for a while (Ned S would likely know the priority/status of such a thing). In the as-is system there must be a "Series ID" associated with all recording rules. Without having the program information for what will be airing at that time, this identifier is not available.

I am personally looking forward to this ability when it becomes available.