Instructions - Raspberry Pi and USB HDD + HDHomeRun Record Engine

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
griffincash

Instructions - Raspberry Pi and USB HDD + HDHomeRun Record Engine

Post by griffincash »

I spent a couple hours yesterday getting everything ready to use my RPi 4 as my HDHR DVR using the official HDHR DVR software for linux. Not sure if anyone else is interested in doing this or if there is a guide already.

I haven't finished making my instructions look pretty, so I wanted to see if there is even interest in me posting this guide before I formatted and cited everything.
Last edited by griffincash on Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Instructions - Turn your RPi and USB HDD into a Servio

Post by nickk »

Please - go for it!

I will plug in my RPi tonight...

Nick - Silicondust

griffincash

Post by griffincash »

I'm sure I've got some mistake in there. There are also likely better ways to do some things. Feel free to suggests tweaks or edits.

https://nextcloud.griffin.cash/index.ph ... i5P2RbbyD

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Personally I suggest removing any reference to making a "Servio" as what you are doing is making the pi function as a record engine. I also can't stand the use of the butchered case of HDHomeRun (if not all lower case the R should be capital not lower). Though not necessary, most will omit the _linux from the name either by specifying the output file name in the wget or renaming after as typically SD will list such without it making it more platform agnostic when it comes to commands. Though not necessary, I also usually tell people to create the config file with an echo statement that utilizes pwd. Finally are you sure your cron works as typically you must specify the location of the config file unless you are currently in that directory.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

If your RPi is headless you might want to mount the USB drive in fstab with the options nofail,auto instead of defaults. When you use defaults the boot process will hang if the USB drive can't be mounted for some reason. When it's in that state you can't even ssh in to troubleshoot. If you use nofail,auto it will continue to boot even if the USB drive is disconnected.

griffincash

Post by griffincash »

signcarver wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:27 pm
Personally I suggest removing any reference to making a "Servio" as what you are doing is making the pi function as a record engine. I also can't stand the use of the butchered case of HDHomeRun (if not all lower case the R should be capital not lower). Though not necessary, most will omit the _linux from the name either by specifying the output file name in the wget or renaming after as typically SD will list such without it making it more platform agnostic when it comes to commands. Though not necessary, I also usually tell people to create the config file with an echo statement that utilizes pwd. Finally are you sure your cron works as typically you must specify the location of the config file unless you are currently in that directory.
I appreciate all the advice. Yes, my cron job was failing to actually record without the conf path.

Just so I have a better understanding, what does a servio do? I thought it was basically just an ARM based board with the HDHomerun record engine.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Instructions - Raspberry Pi and USB HDD + HDHomeRun Record Engine

Post by signcarver »

Unfortunately my reasoning for suggesting not using the word/term servio is something that borders on some of the forum rules to discuss further and my suggestion was just a suggestion coming from a place in my mind knowing that certain people have even been asked not to use certain colors when it comes to the HDHomeRun and would expect the term's use to be even more restrictive...

I would also expect a servio to be using xfs rather than ntfs, also one to be able to use hdhomerun_config to format the drive, automatically format a blank drive, and for some things you are (capable of) doing, such as ssh, not to be able to be done with a servio so it muddles the waters as to what is a servio.

By the way, I noticed the topic change and the change in the instructions so it is probably moot to discuss it anyway.

MikeCC

Re: Instructions - Raspberry Pi and USB HDD + HDHomeRun Record Engine

Post by MikeCC »

I set up my Pi 2 as a DVR with an SSD for recording and it seems to be working flawlessly. The only issue I am having is that I am not great with Linux, so I cannot get the service to start automatically. Still going through the guide, so hopefully I’ll get it going. THX!

UPDATE!
Had to edit the crontab per my installation, but it looks like it’s working! Finally found a good use for the old pi and these spare drives I had laying around!