Fire TV + HD homerun prime + grandmother

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ctviggen

Fire TV + HD homerun prime + grandmother

Post by ctviggen »

How is the HD homerun interface for Fire TV? Does it work well enough for a grandmother (used to using a cable box) to use? (If so, I could ditch my two cable boxes, at $20/month).

craigwillie

Re: Fire TV + HD homerun prime + grandmother

Post by craigwillie »

I would say it would be better....

-Simple interface without extraneous options
- More 'picture' oriented with the use of tiles
- One simple FireTV remote to control TV, AV equipment and DVR.

The only downside is you have to start the HDHomerun app from a sometimes cluttered FireTV home screen.

Coming from a grandfather that hates cable boxes and remotes.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I have always had good feedback from when I showed it to senior citizens... but at the time I did extensive showing of it, drm wasn't an option even for live so that limited cable (from my provider) to just locals and there are a lot of locals both OTA and on various cable systems that have a lot of old programming that they loved and the posters brought back memories and instantly recognizable on channels they didn't know existed in their cable package as they are buried in the middle of nowhere and many STBs today seem to come set as HD only and one needs to figure out how to turn such limiting feature off.

However, once watching DRM channels came about, and the guide all of a sudden became 500+ channels it wasn't as easy with the main locals being 2-15 and the local sub-channels being 80-100 and only 4 of the 60 channels in between being of use to them. If it is only them one can disable unused channels but that might not work if there are others in the house that like those other channels... favorites is something that isn't implemented yet but even then what is your favorite might not be theirs... One of the things I worked on for my own viewing long ago was to set up favorites on different boxes and have the guide allow choice of box as that was an easy way to have multiple favorites lists but that isn't implemented in anything today that I am aware of but is something I would like to see implemented (though most likely (all) favorites would have to come first).

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I would avoid Fire TV since Fire TV doesn't support DRM-restricted channels, and even if your cable provider is mostly DRM-free, sometimes they change their mind for what appears to be no real reason. I would recommend an Android TV device, such as the MiBox S or TiVo STREAM 4K.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell »

My 93 yr old mom had no problem with HDHomeRun on XBox S with Harmony remote. I usually turned it on and ran the app for her, but she had no issue using the app. Once MS fixed the issue with numerical entry, she used that the most since she new the number of her favorite channels.

mnm359

Post by mnm359 »

Does Tivo Stream allow me to play DRM content? Just got one and thought it would work like an android box but the DRM channels aren't working

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

The tivo stream 4k box does work with DRM channels (I just notices my prime/TA for the first time in months dropped a lot of channels including every h.264 channel so I can't test on drm with h.264 until I get those channels back... rescanning and hopefully they come back as one TA's status was unknown and the other just dropped the channels... it may be my provider playing some games)

Edit: took forever for me to get some h.264 channels back... and during that time it was saying system busy content protection error. Once I got my TA squared away I was finally able to confirm it worked on h.264 as well (I wanted to make sure as the updated app uses software decoding and I recall in the past software decoding was terrible with h.264 when we were required to use software decoding on drm and I actually thought that now we were required to use hardware decoding for drm but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Typically the issue on android boxes is related to location services needing to be on and with many boxes wifi must also be on for such use... I have had very little luck with usb (either through otg or c) dongles on the stream when it comes to network adapters. Also note the device can't be rooted.

mnm359

Post by mnm359 »

I am not familiar with h.264. If I am understanding, however, should I try re-scanning the channels?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

My rescan was because channels were dropped, in your case a rescan would only be beneficial if the channels incorrectly flagged drm or not.

As I said, I did verify that the Tivo stream 4k does work with drm protected channels (whether h.264 or mpeg2). Typically the problem of getting the stream 4k to work with drm protected channels (with app or hdhomerun input) is making sure location services is turned on (i forget if that is also a specific app permission that needs to be set as well). I often do find need to reboot after double checking location services after install of the hdhomerun app and any system updates. In some cases you may need to clear the cache or data(don't clear data if used as the DVD engine).