Setting up channels with transmitterrs in opposite directions

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
NedS
Silicondust

Re: Setting up channels with transmitterrs in opposite directions

Post by NedS »

A manually trigger-able "passive" scan has been on the radar before. I'll ask about it on the phone meeting today.

robertgdodd

Post by robertgdodd »

Do you have any recommendations on software? I was hoping to stream it to my TV with an Amazon Fire TV stick, if that makes a difference

Rob.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

Depending on how strongly you receive your TV channels and the directionality of your antenna, it's possible that you could rotate it to a position that receives all of them well enough for a manual scan to add them to the list. Or perhaps you could temporarily add a cheap secondary antenna to get a complete scan.

robertgdodd

Post by robertgdodd »

NedS wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm A manually trigger-able "passive" scan has been on the radar before. I'll ask about it on the phone meeting today.
NedS,

If you could let me know about this option that would be great if it could be done. Let me know what you find.

Rob.

Twoods196

Post by Twoods196 »

I'm u certain if the hd homerun does a scan in the back but Iwhat I've did in the past at a point in time I wasn't using the hdhomrun. I had a RCA Antenna rotator that cost a little under $100. On the inside was the controls with a few presets and a slow rotate option. My tv would scan one direction then I would push button to have it point to other direction and continue to scan. Channels that were previously found were kept and new ones were added. I had a friend with the issue though that when he scanned it would replace them all with only the new channels it found. It did offer a manual option to add channels though. So we just pointed it one direction and wrote down each one that was found. Then turn to the other direction an run the scan. Once finished we manually added the other channels. So whenever he wanted to watch the stations in the other direction he just pushed the button for the preset for that direction. Like I said though if hd homerun is auto checking channels in the background though that could be a issue.

There are more advanced (an alot more expensive) antenna rotors. Some of them can control the scanning by initiating a scan when you change the direction of the antenna. At that point though it would be much simpler like others have stated to just use 2 antennas.

Last option would be a decent omni-directional antenna. Keep in mind these antennas are not very strong. So if your fairly close to each set of towers(within 40 miles or less) you could try one of those. They are mostly not used much due to there actual range vs a directional one but just giving some food for thought. Anyways good luck.