Setting up channels with transmitterrs in opposite directions

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
robertgdodd

Setting up channels with transmitterrs in opposite directions

Post by robertgdodd »

I'm new to HDHomeRun and I need some help with setting up my channels. Where I'm located I have towers that are basically 180° apart. I have one antenna so this means I need to rotate my antenna when I want to view channels from either of the towers. Is there a way to manually setup my channel list so that I don't have to perform a "detect channels" in the "channel lineup" each time I rotate my antenna? Currently I'm just using the HDHomeRun software to scan and watch the channels. I am not using any 3rd party software, and I do not have a DVR.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Setting up channels with transmitterrs in opposite directions

Post by nickk »

Hi,

The best approach for this situation is to have two antennas (one pointing in each direction) and two HDHomeRun units (one for each antenna).

On the HDHomeRun device webpage you can disable weak channels that were detected from the wrong direction.

Apps will automatically show all channels and use the right HDHomeRun unit to play them.

Nick

robertgdodd

Post by robertgdodd »

I don't want to offend you or sound rude, so please don't take my reply that way. I understand your suggestion is a better method but I was hoping to keep this low cost and simple.

So let's got back to my original question, is there anyway to manually setup my channel list? I would prefer NOT to use 3rd party software, 2 antennas, and 2 tuners, if this can be done with the HDHomeRun software. Can this be done with the factory software, or do I have to look into Nickk's suggestions?

Also when you says "Apps' will select.... What Apps re you referring to?

Thanks you for your feedback.

Rob.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

A user-triggered channel scan will remove channels that are no longer detected.

The background channel scan (every 3 days +/- 12 hours or so) will add new channels it finds without removing channels that are no longer detected.

You could run a channel scan with the antenna pointing in one direction, then leave the antenna pointing in the other direction for ~4 days so the background scan picks up the other channels.

Nick

robertgdodd

Post by robertgdodd »

That's sort of good news. Do you know if there is anyway to manually initiate the background scan?

Thanks for your help so far.

Rob.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

I think SD could easily fix this by adding a user option to make rescans additive, the same as the automatic background scan. If a station changes channels or goes dark permanently (or the user moves) then just switch back to the current scanning method for the first rescan.

Another vaguely related user option would be to set the highest channel to scan. Currently OTA HDHRs scan down from channel 69, even though in the US the highest digital channel was 51 (some Canadian channels were and still are higher) and soon it should be 36. If the option also allowed setting the lowest channel and if both were set to the same channel, an additive scan could be used to add a single channel without affecting the others.

robertgdodd

Post by robertgdodd »

Help me out, SD, is that software development?

Rob.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

To me that will never happen as it causes too many issues. You were told the best approach. If you choose not to do that, use software that isn't dependent of the scan than you can add any channel you wish whether you get it or not.

In some cases you can figure a way to combine antennas but that can also cause more problems than it's worth.

robertgdodd

Post by robertgdodd »

This is how a competitor does it. This is what I was hoping I could do.

"You may want to scan several times with different antenna positions or orientations to get the most number of channels. To scan for channels again, hit the rescan button.

Once you are satisfied that you are receiving the most available channels, you can enable or disable individual channels by selecting them individually."

Does anyone know how to do this?

Rob

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

SD's software is 100% dictated by the scan.. you can disable channels but to do what you asked may take weeks for autoscans to add missing channels as there is no enabling of something that isn't there. Things detected by a manual scan won't be removed by the autoscan but another user-initiated scan will remove that which isn't found.

As I said, if you don't want to use the multi-tuner/multi antenna approach, use 3rd party software that doesn't rely on scans as another thing you may run into is multiples of the same virtual channel number which SD's software has no handling of.

robertgdodd

Post by robertgdodd »

Thank you for the feedback. Just to confirm, if I choose to use one antenna and one tuner my best option is to rotate the antenna to one direction and then manually initiate a channel scan, and then rotate the dish to the other direction, wait approximately 4 days for a background scan to happen (automatically). After this occurs all of my channels for both transmitters should appear in the menu.

Can you please confirm that this is what you're saying.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

No... all the other options you rejected are far superior but if you must use an app from SD, that is the only possible way for it to somewhat work.

robertgdodd

Post by robertgdodd »

All the other options??? We basically only discuss two options. 1. using two antennas and multiple receivers, and 2. using a third-party software that will allow me to manually program channels. All I wanted to know initially was can I manually enter channels via the SD software?

robertgdodd

Post by robertgdodd »

A simple no it cannot be done with the SD software, or yes this is how you do it with the SD software...
That's all I was looking for.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

It isn't really that simple if you want it to work... yes it "can" be done somewhat but wouldn't work well... I STRONGLY suggest 3rd party software that use the legacy method of tuning rather than something that is dependent on the channel scan and the modern method of tuning.