No Internet, No App????

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
tlathbury

Re: No Internet, No App????

Post by tlathbury »

OK sorry for my misunderstanding. Will explore other apps as a work around, but not ideal.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Oh, and we do plan on implementing some form of offline mode in our app as well.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

NedS wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:54 pm
tlathbury wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:42 pm NedS,

Sorry this is just flat out incorrect. Our internet has gone out in the past, and just today and HD HomeRun does not work without internet period ! I have a normal internet set up with candle modem, router etc. Nothing.

iOS devices/apps - will not even start, black screen
Nvidia Shields - will not even start, black screen

Zippo. Nada.

And apparently, looking at these threads, a large number of SiliconDust customers have the same issue. So for you to suggest that there is no problem, or that the problem is with the customer’s set up is ridiculous.
There is a misunderstanding. The HDHomeRun application does require internet. What is being discussed in this thread is if the HDHomeRun hardware can be used with a third party application without internet, which it can. The HDHomeRun hardware will work with apps such as NextPVR , VLC, Kodi, and others, will work with the HDHomeRun without an internet connection.
Ned, you are being disingenuous here. The whole point of this thread is not that the HDHR hardware is unusable without a current internet connection. The point of this thread is that SiliconDust's first-party HDHR SOFTWARE is unusable without an active internet connection.

We are all aware that the hardware can be successfully used without an internet connection. With the proper software, we can even receive OTA guide information without an internet connection. The problem is that SiliconDust has only now acknowledged that this is an issue; worse yet, this shortcoming still has yet to be addressed.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

rpcameron wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm Ned, you are being disingenuous here. The whole point of this thread is not that the HDHR hardware is unusable without a current internet connection. The point of this thread is that SiliconDust's first-party HDHR SOFTWARE is unusable without an active internet connection.

We are all aware that the hardware can be successfully used without an internet connection. With the proper software, we can even receive OTA guide information without an internet connection. The problem is that SiliconDust has only now acknowledged that this is an issue; worse yet, this shortcoming still has yet to be addressed.
My apologies, that was not intentional. I was looking at my post that was quoted from March 10th, which was a reply to FoodLioon's issue.

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

When I got my first HomeRun I was hit with the no internet = no TV issue, so I installed Plex. These days I favour Emby.

I can certainly understand the frustration of users who have placed their entire TV viewing in the hands SD and their DVR service, and I can understand SD's point of view as principally a hardware company, but many other software options are available that don't require much technical savvy to set up.

For those who don't want the hassle of installing a network media server, I can highly recommend Channels. Really nice apps on the Apple TV and iOS devices too. (I've no direct experience of their Windows or Android offerings.) Channels works with an active VPN too.

Bmjohns

Post by Bmjohns »

Does this issue (no internet means no DVR or even live TV) have an expected resolution date?

I have had the DVR service for several years now and never noticed this, seems like a relatively new issue. Or maybe I just have had very steady internet until recently. This negates the use of this app significantly as my current location has very undependable internet on daily basis. It is good enough however to maintain the 14 day guide. I will need to transition away from the HDHomerun DVr service altogether and just use emby (or other option) if a resolution is not expected anytime soon.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

I do not even have any recording tasks in the HDHomeRun DVR and rarely use it because of this. I really like this DVR because you can have multiple instances running in several devices and the APPS bring all the recordings to one place ... but no internet no access is a deal breaker. Heck I even invested on a 4 TB Scribe and only use it as a tuner.... If I have to do any maintenance or replace a router there goes TV viewing using HDHomerun APP.
Last edited by EddieP on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

sdust

Post by sdust »

I think the funny thing is all web requests made by the app come back with

304 Not Modified

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_H ... edirection

Also from https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... Status/304
Many developer tools' network panels of browsers create extraneous requests leading to 304 responses, so that access to the local cache is visible to developers.