No Internet, No App????

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
johnz59

No Internet, No App????

Post by johnz59 »

Please explain to me why we must have an internet connection to watch OTA channels with the HDHomerun Apps?

Lightning strike takes out my cable modem and a lot of network gear. At the end of the night, I've yanked all the bad parts and pieced together a working LAN. I sit back to have a drink and watch the news but my HDHomerun apps running on every device are worthless. As someone who lives in Florida, this is also a major pain in the backside when a hurricane hits and takes out the power and internet. I have a generator and an OTA connection, but once again, all HDHomerun apps are worthless since we cannot connect to the internet. NextPVR and some DLNA players are the only solutions to use the HDHomerun tuners when the internet is down.

I understand that without the internet connection, there is no guide available, but I can deal with that. What I can't deal with is having to jump through hoops to get a setup that allows me to watch TV using the HDHomerun tuners whenever the internet connection is lost. If the software developers at NextPVR can figure out how to make it work I would think that your own people could do it as well!

EddieP

Re: No Internet, No App????

Post by EddieP »

Yeah I got tired of it not working with no internet ... So I no longer bother setting up passes or Viewing livetv on it. It is a pain even when comcast does a firmware upgrade or upgrade to my service it stops working. The DVR is running but I have nothing scheduled moved over to Channels DVR.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter »

They are addressing this. It's been "fixed" before but never worked as expected, apparently.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

The problem is their "New UI" that was supposed to unify their platforms. They switched from native apps on platforms to a React-based internet hosted app. So essentially, the HDHR app UI is nothing more than JS-based website hosted on their servers. No internet, no app.

Also, their app doesn't support EIT, so no internet, no guide, either. (Even though guide data is available OTA. Yes, it may not be the best quality, but something is better than nothing.)

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

rpcameron wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:00 pm The problem is their "New UI" that was supposed to unify their platforms. They switched from native apps on platforms to a React-based internet hosted app. So essentially, the HDHR app UI is nothing more than JS-based website hosted on their servers. No internet, no app.

Also, their app doesn't support EIT, so no internet, no guide, either. (Even though guide data is available OTA. Yes, it may not be the best quality, but something is better than nothing.)
Poor design as the recordings and HDHomeRun units are all local... but depend on Internet to View them through their APP.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

One idea is having the UI files hosted by the DVR software, which could even be available to non-DVR subscribers.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

NedS wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:08 am One idea is having the UI files hosted by the DVR software, which could even be available to non-DVR subscribers.
Just to be clear, the long-term plan is to figure out better local caching methods for all platforms, but having it on the DVR server could *possibly* allow for a faster solution that is platform agnostic. I say possibly because I'm not a developer myself, but I play one on TV. I'll bring it up in today's phone meeting and see what the boss thinks of it.

johnz59

Post by johnz59 »

It's not that difficult to fix this, I'm a software engineer and this is not brain surgery, it's a matter of them actually assigning someone to do it. SiliconDust, according to what I can find, has a total of 20 employees, so I'd assume they have a very small S/W team, maybe 5 or so people.

First, you don't need OTA guide data to watch TV. If no guide data is available, then simply show the info that is available OTA such as the current program and the channel number. Phone home, and if no answer, switch the app to local mode and move on. When I don't have access to the internet, I won't mind not having the guide data near as much as I mind not being able to watch OTA free TV programming.

johnz59

Post by johnz59 »

And if you're using a VPN server, the app fails to find the HDHomerun tuner as well. This really needs to be fixed!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

johnz59 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:23 am And if you're using a VPN server, the app fails to find the HDHomerun tuner as well. This really needs to be fixed!
That's not broken, that's by design. The HDHomeRun app uses broadcast packets to discover the HDHomeRun hardware, and that doesn't work over a VPN.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

johnz59 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:23 am And if you're using a VPN server, the app fails to find the HDHomerun tuner as well. This really needs to be fixed!
Most corporate VPN software will block local network traffic unless configured otherwise.

swsmoothe02

Post by swsmoothe02 »

This morning i experienced an internet outage and was became frustrated to after discovering that the HDhomerun app is unable to find the tuner when the internet is down. I tried to load the app both from my Nvidia Shield box and android tablet and the hdhomerun app would not load. It eventually produces and error indicating that the tuner was not found. However, I am to browse to the tuner on either device by its local IP address on so its clear that the device is discover-able by its local IP. Also, third party apps like VLC and plex are able tune into the tuner which is a ( HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K ) and play the channels without any issues, so it has to be the way the software searches for the tuner when the application is executed. Can we get this issue fixed in a future software update?

DornoDios
Device ID: 107C3D26

Post by DornoDios »

This is a real concern for me because internet service can drop out on occasion.

If internet being down simply prevents me from being able to watch live TV or recorded programs it's annoying, but not the end of the world.

If the internet being down causes the HD Scribe Quatro to not record previously set recordings that is a major problem. If the unit continues to make recordings, but they and live TV can not be watched that is something I can live with. Not knowing if the items I set to record are going to be recorded or not based on the whims of my ISP is a deal breaker.

I can find something to pass my time while I wait for the internet to come back, but I can't abide missing my favorite team on Sunday just because the internet dropped out due to some nonsense that is out of my control

Can anyone answer this for me? Will be scheduled recordings still save during an internet outage of an hour or two? I don't care if I can't watch them. I just want to know if they'll record properly?

Thank YOU!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

DornoDios wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:58 pm Will be scheduled recordings still save during an internet outage of an hour or two? I don't care if I can't watch them. I just want to know if they'll record properly?
The SCRIBE will continue to record scheduled recordings for 4 hours without internet. You won't be able to change what is to be recorded however.

We should up the safety net to be more than 4 hours - I will file a feature request internally.

Nick

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

The fact that not functioning without internet is not considered a bug and major flaw in the ecosystem of this app is unfathomable. My TV hooked up to my antenna functions without internet, so why shouldn't a TV viewing app connected to my antenna function without internet?