Transition from WMC to HDHomeRun Software

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
davefoc

Transition from WMC to HDHomeRun Software

Post by davefoc »

What is best way to make the transition from a Win 7 desktop computer that uses Windows Media center to a Win 10 desktop that uses HDHomeRun DVR software easy? Will I need to do anything to get my cableCard supplied by Spectrum initialized or will Homerun prime DVR software work with it as it is? Our current SiliconDust box has 3 tuners and is pretty old. Would it be a good idea to replace it with a new one?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Transition from WMC to HDHomeRun Software

Post by signcarver »

There is no newer cablecard tuner than that prime so if you still wish to use Spectrum that is what you will be using. Software doesn't matter when accessing the tuner so nothing more to initialize if it is already working with WMC.

Spectrum is a combination of a few companies and depending on what your location does you may find that nearly every channel is marked as DRM protected (typically a little less than half of the old Charter, all of TWC, and though Brighthouse didn't have DRM when acquired most areas imposed DRM when they changed over to Spectrum)... for that you will still need WMC and won't be getting away from that for awhile.

davefoc

Post by davefoc »

That is very disappointing. I ran HDHomerRun software on my office desktop a few years ago and I thought I was able to watch DRM protected programing. I assumed by now that was completely sorted. Maybe I'm confused. I did it as an experiment to prove that this was going to work on our home entertainment computer if I got a new Win 10 machine and I was happy with the results. Yikes what happened? My office computer never had WMC on it. Please don't be afraid to tell me I was confused or wrong. It won't be the first time.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

LIVE is available for viewing DRM protected content on many platforms/devices including most windows 10 based PC's.

DVR (recording) is not and your post mentioned DVR.

davefoc

Post by davefoc »

We almost never watch live TV. I thought when I did the experiment a few years ago that I was able to record programs and watch them later. In my memory, which maybe is wrong (but it is hare to understand how I could have made this mistake), I recorded DRM protected programs on my office computer and I could watch the recorded programs on my office computer and our home entertainment computer which is connected to our local network.

I just looked at running WMC on a Win 10 machine. It seems like that is more straightforward now than it was when I looked into this a few years ago. So maybe we'll go down that path. For us, we'd just get a purpose built DVR before we went back to watching live TV. I'm amazed that SiliconDust has gotten this far without getting the DRM sorted out. I must not understand very well how people are using it.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

still won't get DRM protected content with WMC on windows 10 unless it is a very, very, old version of windows 10.

What you described would not have worked with a DRM protected channel (other than watching with app live)... keep in mind encrypted is not necessarily (drm) protected but since you stated Spectrum, it is hard to say what will be DRM protected for you or just encrypted as it varies by area (look at the tuner's lineup page for what your device thinks is DRM protected). If you were on Comcast/xfinity, generally nothing but premiums such as HBO and other movie channels would have DRM protection... if you were on verizon fios, generally only HBO/Max (as far as the premium movie channels go) and the national "fox" cable channels would be drm protected.

So I first strongly advise you figure out what channels are DRM protected for you and if you can live with a DVR that won't support those channels (yet... but there is no time frame of when such is coming).

davefoc

Post by davefoc »

Thank you very much for your responses. I didn't think so, but now I'm convinced I made a mistake with my experiment and convinced myself of something that wasn't true.

I think, for now I'm going to take a shot at loading up WMC on our new computer (It's not here yet) and see how it goes from there. I am sincerely sorry for SiliconDust. I like the company. Their tuners have worked flawlessly for us. I couldn't have gotten our system working without the well thought out diagnostic software that came with our tuner. When there were problems with the cable company I needed to be able to demonstrate that the problem was on their side and the SiliconDust software made that possible.

I don't know what's going on with the DVR DRM stuff but I imagine there is some tension inside the company over this. Clearly the large cable companies aren't anxious for you to make this work and maybe that's a big part of the story. Whatever it is I wish SIliconDust well.

davefoc

Post by davefoc »

I just came to understand what you were saying a little better. There is encryption and there is copy protection. My experiment may have worked because the channels I recorded were encrypted but not copy protected. From the discussion I saw it sounds like the cable companies are moving to copy protect more than they did previously and being only able to record copy freely channels is getting to be more problematic. I understand now why you recommended that I contact my cable company about which channels were copy protected.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Just do a channel scan on your Prime's web page. It will tell you which channels are DRM. You don't have to install or use any SD software. Most cable providers encrypt all channels now but it doesn't mean they also put DRM on all channels. Encryption is handled by the cablecard. DRM is just a flag to tell Prime and DVR software only certified devices can record it.