The Weather Channel not Playing (Optimum)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bigfan99

The Weather Channel not Playing (Optimum)

Post by bigfan99 »

Hello,

With the tropical storm hitting NJ today I tried tuning The Weather Channel (762 on Optimum's (Altice) Morris system) on Windows 10 and it either times-out ("Unable to Play Channel") or it plays momentarily and then freezes eventually generating an "Unable to play channel: Unspecified Error" message. I have turned diagnostics on. No issues viewing the channel via an Optimum STB.

Similar behavior with the NVIDIA Shield client

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--Rob

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: The Weather Channel not Playing (Optimum)

Post by signcarver »

Is the channel marked as DRM from the scan? Typically playing and stopping like that is either an indication of the card not being properly provisioned or the channel is drm but the scan didn't pick it up as such. If it didn't start playing, I would verify the frequency tuned by the box is the same frequency tuned by the prime as it could be a mapping issue for the card or SDV issue (not sure if your area uses SDV) but usually it wouldn't start like that and immediately stop if it were the wrong frequency (though having two frequencies of TWC may cause that DRM issue if the scan picked it up on one without.

Also note that turning on diagnostics doesn't help unless they have your DeviceID (and you should probably run a scan and make sure diagnostics is on both the tuner and the app).

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 »

It is not marked as DRM in the Prime channel line-up. Yes, I have encountered similar behavior when Prime had the DRM wrong. Is there a way to force Prime to re-scan?

I did enable the "Send Diagnostic Information" on the Prime.

Device ID: 131125B5

Thanks for those inputs.

--Rob

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

You can do a channel scan anytime with Prime's website. This will refresh the DRM status. I have encountered this issue once: FIOS flipped Fox News channel to non-DRM for a few weeks then flipped back to DRM again. The channel is listed as non-DRM. So when a client tries to play it, it will gets re-directed to DVR engine. But since the actual video stream has the DRM flag, DVR engine will refuse to play it. This is a bug SD is aware of. The solution is just do a channel scan to correctly refresh the channel DRM status.

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 »

I looked right by the "Detect Channels" button at the top of the Channel Lineup screen. Re-detecting the channels flipped The Weather Channel to DRM and now it plays.

Yes, it certainly seems like a limitation of HDHomeRun solution.

--Rob

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Until they get the DRM recording working, then it will be a non issue :D

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Not exactly... the url of the channel still wouldn't have the dtcp-ip reference so the engine/client still wouldn't play it but they may eventually decide to check if that was reason then add the dtcp-ip part manually.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

The record engine is apparently capable of detecting whether a channel is DRM or not based on channel stream, not from URL. Only the client is purely based on URL in order to be able to play DRM channel directly because it knows DVR engine can't handle it. When DVR engine eventually supports DRM recording, clients are much simple, it just re-direct all channels to DVR, DRM or not.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

But the dvr would never request the drm stream when such url isn't provided. The issue here is the url didn't say it was drm, thus stream delivered failed on dvr for an unknown reason (same thing happens on a channel the dvr doesn't know about drm or not).

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Obviously DVR engine knows exactly a channel is DRM or not without the help of URL. After all, channel DRM flag is in the video stream itself, not up to the external influence. In both of mine and OP's cases, the channel scan results in a channel being non-DRM. It send the requests to the DVR engine which in turn found out the channel is DRM and hence refuse to play anything.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Still makes no difference as it made the wrong request thus got nothing that could be interpreted. Until the link used actually has dtcp-ip info in it the point would be moot. The prime itself greatly limits the stream when the wrong url is used when drm is encountered. With some systems you might get audio but most won't get anything.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

I'm not familiar how SD made its record engine work. But what you described sounds like a incredibly clumsy system that is prone to failure. We all know automatic channel scan is very unreliable (especially for those with tuning adapters) and often not frequent enough. In theory, a channel's DRM/Copy-once status can be per program, not necessary for all programs. That means we still can't rely purely on channel scan status.

There can be many different ways to tackle this easily between the recording engine and the Prime, if a request without DRM failed, try again with DRM etc. Last thing you want to do is force customers to manually run a channel refresh which typically takes a long time to finish.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Code: Select all

CableCARD: scan v762: subscribed (cci=protected-copyonce)
It's DRM-restricted.