hdhomerun_windows_20200701 Setup exe stalling before completion (Win10)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
haizman

hdhomerun_windows_20200701 Setup exe stalling before completion (Win10)

Post by haizman »

I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues installing hdhomerun_windows_20200701.exe on Windows 10? I've tried it several times and it always seems to get stuck at the same spot near the end but never completes.

I've already installed and rebooted for the MS Visual C++ redistributable installs, then try to run the installer again it still never completes. So far I've run the installer as admin, and also un-blocked the "Controlled folder access" setting but no luck.

Any ideas?

RF2016

Re: hdhomerun_windows_20200701 Setup exe stalling before completion (Win10)

Post by RF2016 »

Yes, I had the same exact issue... the progress bar was stuck at about 90 %, I let it go for about 25 minutes, NADA.

I had to do a force reboot just to get it to stop.
Luckily I did not loose the HDHR box and was still able to use it
It still shows the previous firmware date of June.

And the HDHR is still running Ok,
All the years I had performed updates, this is the first time I had experienced an issue with it.

haizman

Post by haizman »

I was able to finish the install today, but not sure if it's 100% yet.

After launching the setup and having it hang at the 90%, from the Process tab in Task Manager I manually ended the task I saw for "Windows installer". The setup completed after that. Maybe give it a try.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 »

The thing is, One doesn't want to "Try to see if it works"

Reason is, since the Update, updates the firmware, if the update does not work, you can "brick" the box, if it doesn't fully complete the update.

So I don't recommend for anyone to just "try" to see if it works, it either has to Work, or the update should be pulled if there are problems with it.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

RF2016 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:07 pm
The thing is, One doesn't want to "Try to see if it works"

Reason is, since the Update, updates the firmware, if the update does not work, you can "brick" the box, if it doesn't fully complete the update.

So I don't recommend for anyone to just "try" to see if it works, it either has to Work, or the update should be pulled if there are problems with it.
The firmware update does not occur until after the software install is complete and HDHomeRun Setup is opened by the installer (checkbox on the final screen of the installer). Also the HDHomeRun device stores 2 copies of the firmware so even if something goes catastrophically wrong with an update it will not be bricked. It verifies the checksum of the primary firmware on bootup, and if that fails, it will boot the previous version instead. Since that version booted on the previous startup, it's highly unlikely that it would also be bad.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 »

Ahhh That is good to know.

This is also on the older HDHR Prime?

I remember years back that it was stated here,
that firmware updates cannot be reversed, or flashed back to an older version.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I'm pretty sure it existed on the PRIME. I don't remember when it was introduced. It doesn't violate the prohibition on downgrades because it won't let you go back a version, it just means that if an upgrade fails it stays on the same version as it was already on.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 »

Thank you for the follow up information, and response.
Brings a level of reassurance when flashing, as it is the first time I had heard of it.