Phoenix channel guide error

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
andyaz50

Phoenix channel guide error

Post by andyaz50 »

In Phoenix there are two channels (3.1 and 5.1) that show an episode of Hot Bench every day. They are always different episodes, but the channel guide shows they're the same, so the DVR won't record both episodes and I can't find a way to override it. To see the correct episode info (and a really GOOD, free, and user-configurable 14 day channel guide) look at TitanTV.com. That brings me to a second question. The HR DVR guide is really clumsy with its seemingly random array of pictures and no indication of channels, episode lengths, or start/stop times. Is there any way to change the format to something more user friendly or easily integrate a third-party guide?

I got spoiled by a Tivo that I used for 12 years, but when it outlived its usefulness I bought the HDHR Duo, was very unimpressed by the HR DVR, tried PVR, which was difficult to set-up and maintain, bought the AMZ recast and found that to be the worst ever, so now I'm back to my HDHR Duo. I have other issues like the inability to control recording conflicts and the absence of a series priority list, so I'm wondering if one of the other 3rd party apps like Kodi or Plex has a proper DVR? I tried both of those as fire tv apps and saw many good features, but I really don't watch that much TV, so I'm growing weary of one aborted "road test" after another. I realize I've wandered a bit off-topic and I'm asking a lot, but any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Phoenix channel guide error

Post by NedS »

Are you sure it's showing the same episode summary for both listings? I checked and it appears to be different for each listing. One is typically from season 6 and one is from season 5. They're all older episodes, so if you've been deleting them from within the HDHomeRun app and not selecting "re-record" then the software won't record those episodes again at a later date, even if you have "record all" selected. We can reset your deletion history if you would like yo re-record those episodes.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I have not verified if they really are different episodes but can confirm the guide does show them as being the same episode (4pm 5.1 and 12:30am 3.1)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

signcarver wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:03 am
I have not verified if they really are different episodes but can confirm the guide does show them as being the same episode (4pm 5.1 and 12:30am 3.1)
Weird, other Gracenote guides show it as different episodes, so I wonder why it's not showing up correctly in our guide. I'll let Nick know. The office is in Phoenix, so it should be easy to track down.

Billi23
Device ID: 1323AADB

Post by Billi23 »

They appear as separate episodes at the stations website https://www.azfamily.com/programming/tv ... _3tv_cbs5/

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I know that but they use titan to power such which may not always be correct but until i actually see that titan is correct early tuesday morning, i can't confirm such as it would not surprise me if they were actually the same since they are sister stations and may be a recent or planned switch. Last time I saw such discrepancy that actually had episode information on sister stations it was a planned switch to match that got delayed a month.

andyaz50

Post by andyaz50 »

NedS wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:37 am
Are you sure it's showing the same episode summary for both listings? I checked and it appears to be different for each listing. One is typically from season 6 and one is from season 5. They're all older episodes, so if you've been deleting them from within the HDHomeRun app and not selecting "re-record" then the software won't record those episodes again at a later date, even if you have "record all" selected. We can reset your deletion history if you would like yo re-record those episodes.
Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been busy trying to make sense out of an extremely over-complicated situation. I really don't need anything more than a basic DVR, but isn't the ability to schedule a recording of any future program (that does get recorded) THE most basic function? Well, this is going to be a long post, but if anyone wants to solve this problem, I want them to have every possible clue.

I can easily confirm that as of yesterday and today, the guide does show identical episodes, but after watching them, I can say they were definitely not. However, your other question is much more difficult to explain. My initial subscription to the DVR service started at the end of 2017, with recordings being stored on my computer hard drive, and all the Hot Bench recordings for the last 5 weeks of that one-year subscription are still there, including both episodes from the two time-slots (with different episode numbers in the title). I had watched all the earlier recordings with VLC (for reasons that include the ability to create an actual play-list, a feature common to media players but not DVRs (????)) and had been deleted using a file manager. The DVR still knew where those old episodes were, because on 21 June, 3 minutes after renewing my DVR subscription, it made a 28 minute recording and stored it in the right place. I think that must have been how long it took me to download and install the latest versions of the HDHR software, which I set up to record on a new Synology NAS drive. That's all working fine, but the DVR no longer shows any recordings on my computer HDD. Then, about a week ago, I was able to schedule (red dots) about 8 episodes of Hot Bench (including false duplicates) by NOT recording the series, and they were listed individually at the top of "Tasks", but even tho I over-rode every conflict I was asked about, only one episode was actually recorded. I don't remember what episodes were set to record, and I don't know what episodes were deleted manually from my HDD. I don't even know if the "new" DVR knows about the "old" recordings and won't admit to it, or if there's some other glitch, but if a deletion history still exists that you can reset, that would probably help.

WHEW! Sorry, I hope you were able to follow all that, and I just remembered another bit that may prove useful. I'm pretty sure I uninstalled the old software before installing the new, which I now know was unnecessary and may have been a mistake. Anyway, please don't make a career out of this. I've spent more time on it than I should have, but I was born wired for problem-solving, and if my OCD kicks in, I'm literally out of control. So, if you can give it just 2 minutes, that's more than I should ask.

Thanks again.