No HDHomeRun detected.

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ukiltmybrutha

No HDHomeRun detected.

Post by ukiltmybrutha »

Like the subject says, this is what happens when I go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ URL

Device is a Quatro. I know that the device supposedly rescans for channels each time it is rebooted but I want control over the device.

There is nothing more annoying than having having the TV Guide assert that I have all of these channels that I really don't have which is most of the channels listed!

I have to go through each station one by one just to mostly get the Unable to play channel: No Video Data

I can't possibly remember which stations the TV Guide asserts that I get but really don't get. Not sure if there is a way to centrally block stations that I can't receive.

The Quatro is connected to a LAN port on my router. My laptop is connected to the router via wifi. I have also tried going to the URL using a wired connection at the Router which is kind of impractical but to no avail.

So....

1) Why does the device work but the web interface says that it cannot be found?

2) Is there a way to centrally administer the device and block/skip channels that cannot be viewed?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: No HDHomeRun detected.

Post by signcarver »

many now can just use http://hdhomerun.local (if they only have one device) but I suggest never let/keep something on your network you don't know what ip address it has so you can go to the device directly by ip. Since SD's consumer devices only use dhcp, I suggest checking your router (most most allow for such, and most people use their router for dhcp) for a list of attached devices and then set up a dhcp reservation for the device that way you always know what ip it has. These days most browsers try to use https thus http:// must (usually) specifically be specified (both for my.hdhomerun.com and connecting to the device itself). If worse comes to worse use setup, hdhomerun_config, or hdhomerun_config_gui to connect to the device (wifi can occasionally block some traffic so I suggest this be wired if you are having difficulty).

There are many things that can go wrong with showing up at my.hdhomerun.com. In some cases, it is simply the browser being used.

What happens is the device must maintain contact with SD's servers (checks in when powered up and about every 8 hours after... it's dropped if it doesn't check in after about a day. There are some routers that don't like the multiple servers in the dns record and often works the first time the router and device is brought up but never works after that (you will see web client errors in the log of the device). When your browser connects to my.hdhomerun.com it gets a list of all devices that have connected to SD from the same public ip your browser is using to access the internet (basically you can see such list at my.hdhomerun.com/discover . There are some isp's that use a carrier grade nat that prevents such function from working as your request may come from a different ip then the tuner connected to sd from. Also no VPN or proxy may be used as that will also connect to SD from a different ip address than the tuner did. Many browsers also prevent one from connecting to a device on your lan from a remote hosted page, particularly if one accessed my.hdhomerun.com using https and some also have to modify settings to connect to anything on your lan at all.

Once you get to the device check the lineup and click the star (marks it as a favorite) then click again to disable on any channels you wish to not have in the list. I never heard of it performing a scan when booted, only that it will periodically perform background scans so it should keep the channel list up to date. The software gets its list of channels from the device... however if you have a record engine on your network it will use that to make the tuning request (better buffer) even if not subscribed to the DVR service... it can take a couple of hours for the engine to sync up with the channel list and if a channel was recently added (thus appearing in the app) the recording engine might not know of the channels existence yet so on any change in lineup I also suggest restarting the DVR engine if present.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

The web interface only works reliably with Chrome. If you use Edge, it only works if your network connection type is set to public. Otherwise, Edge will not let you connect.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

foxbat121 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:09 am
The web interface only works reliably with Chrome.
It works fine with Firefox.

jmike

Post by jmike »

My HDHomerun Prime is connected directly to the PC (ip 169.254.0.20, netmask 255.255.0.0). Hdhomerun_config Discover on the same computer can't find it (returns no devices found). This leaves me no obvious way to pair a cablecard with the HDHomerun Prime. It is probably obvious from the way this is written that I am by no means expert in this activity. Helpful suggestions welcome.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

If you run any 3rd party firewall or internet security software, it will block the communication, especially the discovery packets.

Otherwise, those apps are quite reliable to discover the tuners unless the communications are blocked. Connecting directly to PC has always been supported but not recommended. It is better to connect to your main network where your PC connects to.