Shark Tank recording old episodes

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
petebocken

Shark Tank recording old episodes

Post by petebocken »

I have Shark Tank setup to only record current season, however it continues to record old episodes and will do so for the next two weeks.

HDHomeRun task showing current season selected, but upcoming episodes planned to be recorded.
https://imgur.com/a/mkc8wTS

Plex showing tonight’s episode got recorded.
https://imgur.com/a/7rHoKar

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Shark Tank recording old episodes

Post by signcarver »

And your point? As that is current season. Though current season isn't quite the correct name (i preferred the previous term "recent") as it records episodes whose original airdates are less than 90 days (which may miss older episodes in current season or pick up later episodes in past season depending on how season runs). If the engine has it, it won't record it again unless gracenote marks as new. If deleted through app using default not record again it also would not record the episode again unless marked as new. There may be times client doesn't see engine thus can't guess if the engine has it.

petebocken

Post by petebocken »

Ok, that makes sense. Thought it would only record “new” episodes. I do delete Shark Tank episodes after I watch them. So not sure if it would not record these from past 90 days if I still had it in the “recorded” section. However, that wouldn’t apply anyway since I move recorded episodes to a different drive after they are recorded.

Thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

To not record again, you should copy then delete through app telling it not to rerecord... others have also left the first 12K of the file as a placeholder to remind the engine it has recorded it but then it will show up as you having it when you look at files through the app. There are two parts of whether something records... the first is SD's servers telling it to record which unless you tell SD not to rerecord (such as the default setting when deleting through app) would be anything that matches the rest of the rule (as well as anything "new" for series recordings). Once the engine gets it's orders (checks in every hour or so (as well as when poked) and retrieves for the next 4 hours) it then sees if it has already recorded it (by having access to the file) if it has, it won't record it unless the show is marked as "new".

Alternatively use a 3rd party tool/client that allows one to set the AfterOriginalAirdateOnly setting as when that is set to "now" or to some future date, it only records anything that comes through gracenote as "new" (or after the set date) as when something is marked "new" (SD terms this FirstAiring) it will always record as you cant possibly have it yet.

GhostPeter

Post by GhostPeter »

Incredibly, they've managed to make something so easy, complex.