New TCL Smart TVs running Android TV

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

New TCL Smart TVs running Android TV

Post by nickk »

TCL has just released two models of smart TV in the US running Android TV:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-40-cla ... Id=6408874

The 40S330 model we ordered arrived at Silicondust today.

Initial checks - the HDHomeRun app works well - UI is responsive, Seek is good, AV sync is good, MPEG2, AVC, and HEVC all work.

The only quirk is it is not deinterlacing MPEG2 480i or 1080i video. We have reached out to TCL noting the issue.
If needed we can switch the MPEG2 decode to software decode.

Record engine - plugged a 4TB USB drive into the TV which it formatted for external storage. The record engine came up with 4TB of space and started recording.

Day 1 checks - I am impressed with this TV.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: New TCL Smart TVs running Android TV

Post by signcarver »

Any issues with DRM?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

signcarver wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:19 pm
Any issues with DRM?
DRM protected content works.

Android TV 9 so the first time you tune a DRM protected channel you have to approve the location permission, then change channel again. (The HDHomeRun app doesn't use your location but needs to verify the WiFi link is encrypted when playing protected content. The location permission is needed in Android to check WiFi information)

Nick

ZacMan
Device ID: 10115FF2, 1033A485, 13106388, 13111AC9, 1060B7DD

Post by ZacMan »

Picked up the 40" for our workout area since the gyms have been closed since March. Works well and the wife appreciates not having to turn on multiple devices when getting on the bike. She likes the HD Homerun interface so keep up the good work.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I wish I could retroactively switch my 2019 65 825 to Android TV. Roku is ok but I like Android better, it's more open and you can add or run just about anything. I have a Shield and a couple of Roku boxes plus the Shield and I usually use the Shield to run Plex. The Roku remote is so simple it's like a toy compared to a dedicated TV remote.
I guess Roku is easier to use for non geek types and for the money they are great but bit limiting. I bought a Roku because it was dirt cheap and runs what I wanted but got a Shield when they finally had a deal on them.

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter »

Bought one! Thanks! Will work perfect for a bedroom TV!

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

Can you pause live TV?

Can it record multiple channels using a Hdhr connect? USB 2 should be
able to handle the data from more than one channel.

Can it use a prime with cable card?

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

If it supports Android TV, which it does, it should be able to interact with your Prime. Roku can use my Prime as well but Android does a better job. You have to have the computer that is running it online with your network for the record to work as far as I can tell so far.
You just have to load it up on either platform to see what it does.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Does anyone know that the SoC on these models is? I've asked TCL, they seem to not know outside of "it's dual core" :( I would love to pick the 32" one up to replace our aged bedroom TV and reclaim my nVidia Shield from it for more appropriate usage elsewhere, but if the thing can't deal with interlaced content or run fairly heavy apps like Kodi there is no point in buying it...

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

It identifies as a Realtek rtd285o.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/co ... ne=8787580

Nick

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter »

I have noticed that its a tad slower than my NVIDIA Shield, but that's to be expected. It also only has 2.4 GHz and not 5 GHz WiFi.

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

Dartman wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:35 pm
You have to have the computer that is running it online with your network for the record to work as far as I can tell so far.
I don’t understand why you need a PC on when it is recording.
I currently run the recording engine on a Qnap NAS.
I can use either a Windows 10 PC or Shield TV to schedule and playback recordings.
Only the NAS needs to be running when it is time to record.

My educated guess is the TV must be on to record and it can’t automatically wake up.

Will the TV automatically switch to the correct channel to record?

What is displayed if you are recording from external tuner?

Is there a way to turn the display off?

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

My Shield complained I needed a firmware update for the record to work on the program on Android. I updated and the record button showed up again and I could see the recordings that the HD HomeRun program had been recording all along and I could record things. When the PC is offline that it apparently looks for to tell it what to do it doesn't see the record engine but will still play any channel I pick to watch.
Maybe it's the way mine is installed seeing how my 10 box seem to be the only one that always sees the record engine and drives if it's awake.
If it doesn't wake up I don't think it records because my record drives are on my PC. Probably because you have a NAS setup it is aware of it and can record to whatever is requesting it if the NAS is online to be seen.
I just know what I've seen playing with my setup so the way your is setup and installed may change the rules. I think Nick said they put a big USB drive on the Android TV they had and the recording engine sees it and records to it fine, but it's directly hooked to the TV so that probably changes things up. I don't understand all the possible ways to install it with everything and get it to work so I'm sure there are lots of situations that work way differently then what I have going on here.

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

Yes, if your record storage is on a PC the PC must be on.
In my case both the storage and the record engine are on the NAS.
If you connect the record drive to the TV and install the record engine on
the TV it should be able to record stand alone