HDhomerun software overlay interface not working

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
topdavis

HDhomerun software overlay interface not working

Post by topdavis »

When I launch HD Homerun software now, after latest update, the screen overlays, channel guide, volume buttons, even initial entry screen is completely messed up. The interface buttons are huge and are black. It's like the a webpage missing the CSS file and the layout is all wrong. I can't change channels, nothing works and nothing looks right. The last channel I was watching before the update comes up, but nothing else works.

Screenshots are below:

https://www.daviswebdesigns.com/HD/1.png
https://www.daviswebdesigns.com/HD/2.png
https://www.daviswebdesigns.com/HD/3.png

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDhomerun software overlay interface not working

Post by nickk »

Are you using the Windows 10 app?

Find the HDHomeRun app icon in the Windows Start menu, right click on the app icon and select App Settings. Under App Settings scroll down and click Reset.

Nick

topdavis

Post by topdavis »

Did that.
Also completely uninstalled, cleaned with Revo Uninstaller, rebooted, installed again from Windows Store. Same outcome.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

topdavis wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:51 pm
Did that.
Also completely uninstalled, cleaned with Revo Uninstaller, rebooted, installed again from Windows Store. Same outcome.
Are you running any third party security software which might be messing with things?

Also try launching Edge and checking what plugins are installed.

Nick

topdavis

Post by topdavis »

I don't have any Edge extensions installed and the only security software running is Norton 360.

MarcP

Post by MarcP »

I have the same problem and really thinking about chucking my box. Anyone find a solution? I tried resetting the app.

MarcP

Post by MarcP »

I am also running Norton, but disabling it has no effect on the problem.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Disabling Norton does nothing. It's embedded so deep you can't effectively disable it and it will cause problems as long as it's installed. Uninstall it, reboot, and then see how things look.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I agree with jasonl on that... you may even have to get an "official" uninstaller. One other program that long ago had similar behavior with other software was MBAM if the premium active features were ever enabled, turning such off did no good and required an uninstall and reinstall without ever making such features active.

MarcP

Post by MarcP »

It appears to be synchronous to Norton pushing their new GUI around 6/1.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

signcarver wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:07 pm
I agree with jasonl on that... you may even have to get an "official" uninstaller. One other program that long ago had similar behavior with other software was MBAM if the premium active features were ever enabled, turning such off did no good and required an uninstall and reinstall without ever making such features active.
If I remember correctly, the premium version of Malwarebytes can cause issues in the default configuration, but at least these days it respects its own whitelist so if you just go in and tell it to ignore the HDHomeRun app (and if necessary, DVR) it coexists without an issue. Norton, good luck with that, and even if do find the correct combination of settings it will probably break again in the future.

MarcP

Post by MarcP »

Does not appear to be Norton. I removed with their scrub and remove all traces utility. Even after completely uninstalled, I get the same result. It's something else. I'll give it another couples of days, let me see what I can figure out. Then, I guess it's onto something else. Kind fo a shame.

topdavis

Post by topdavis »

I finally gave up looking for a "quick" fix. Fortunately I back up my system daily so I reverted to a point in time when I knew the HD Homerun worked fine. I only restored some documents I worked on from that point and i only updated other programs at a time and rebooted between each individual update. I tested HD Homerun before the next install and immediately after each reboot. It is still working. In my case I can only surmise that doing multiple updates at one time without rebooting may have altered some needed files and screwed HD Homerun up somehow.

MarcP

Post by MarcP »

Thanks. I may think about doing that. I have weeklys.

MarcP

Post by MarcP »

Do you suspect it was one of the Windows 10 updates?