Same number, different channels

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Turk3yb0y1

Same number, different channels

Post by Turk3yb0y1 »

Not sure where to post this.

Moved my setup to a higher location, now some of the lower power local channels are coming in more reliably. This is causing a problem because WHRO is channels 15.1-15.4, and WUDW is also 15.1-15.6. WHRO 15.1 is HD so the HDHomeRun constantly favors that, while WUDW 15.1 is BUZZR, a channel I don't get anywhere else. It also goes back and forth between favoring WUDW and WHRO 15.2-15.4, never know which it's going to pick up. They are on different RF frequencies (WUDW on 15, WHRO on 16 but moving to 31).

It'd be great if both sets of channels could be added (it works on my tv with antenna directly connected) or permanently favor one vs the other.

Could anyone assist me in making this happen? I'd love to keep all the channels that are coming in if possible, currently the only way is to use HDHomeRun is through config app on pc...

Thanks, and sorry if this is not the right forum.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Same number, different channels

Post by signcarver »

Any software that relies entirely on the modern method of tuning including reliance of the scan will be subject to whatever the scan adds... The channel with the higher resolution will be preferred followed by the channel with the better signal quality (which is why if such is weak, it would be inconsistent for the sub channels that are sd). Best you can do for such software is eliminate a set of signals and not get both that way you know what will be tuned (nothing worse for a DVR than to have it tune a different channel). I also suggest doing so to make sure there are no guide conflicts or at least try to get the antenna aimed so that the subs will be more consistent in which has the better signal quality. Alternatively you can use other software that does not fully rely on the modern method of tuning and depend on the results of the scan.

About the only thing SD could do in your situation (in possible future firmware), since SD seems to be against a way to manually configure the lineup (though it has been said there are "plans" for more a more regional type of selection but typically what I have read about that is more on the lines of outside the US and will eliminate others), is to facilitate the use of the "random" 5000 numbered channels to add any channel (and may elect to auto disable such) and hopefully also add the guide information through the use of name and possibly another field for the assigned virtual channel number... This may be good for live but there would be too much randomness for a DVR to rely on such a number (as occasionally it may slip back to not seeing the other channel). Also if you have multiple devices the actual number in the 5000 range may vary as SD's software only uses the virtual channel number so even if such was implemented, you would have to make sure the "extra" channels were enabled on only one device.

If you just wish to keep both and not eliminate a set of channels, provided things are consistent enough for guide data to populate to whatever other clients you are using that are subject to the scan so you can still use that software. You can always watch with VLC by tuning the physical channel and selecting which program you wish to watch i.e. open http://<ip-of-tuner>:5004/auto/ch15 (note ch rather than v) and then select which program (Playback, Program).

Turk3yb0y1

Post by Turk3yb0y1 »

If you just wish to keep both and not eliminate a set of channels,
This would be ideal. Honestly, the other WUDW channels are all infomercials it's just 15.1 BUZZR that is good mindless viewing.

Another problem comes in with 45.1 which is WZTD, Telemundo (rf 34), and WNLO, a Fox repeater (rf 14).

More a feature request I suppose, it's disappointing to have access to all these channels but not be able to use HDHomeRun with them all.

How does one eliminate a set of channels from scanning in?

If there's other software that would allow me to watch on XBox One, that's how I use my HDHomeRun now (since my living room tv has no digital audio out so everything runs via Xbox) let me know. I know I can watch via VLC on my pc using the config app but that's klugey and I can already watch on other TVs not dependent on HDHomeRun to get signal.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

You could make a playlist in VLC that would tune channels based on RF channel instead of virtual channel. It's not elegant, but it would give you another option while we wait for regional selection features in the normal HDHomeRun app. If that sounds interesting, let me know and I can help you format the playlist based on your channel scans.

Turk3yb0y1

Post by Turk3yb0y1 »

NedS wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:52 pm
You could make a playlist in VLC that would tune channels based on RF channel instead of virtual channel. It's not elegant, but it would give you another option while we wait for regional selection features in the normal HDHomeRun app. If that sounds interesting, let me know and I can help you format the playlist based on your channel scans.
That worked!! Downloaded VLC on the XBox One, selected 'network' and added the url that signcarver laid out, and now I can watch BUZZR 15.1 on my big tv.

Thanks so much!!

babblefish26

Post by babblefish26 »

Thanks for the VLC tip... Saved my bacon with my GF! My GF lives in a market with two channel 10's (Fox & PBS). I am impressed at how easy it is to configure the shield with VLC :mrgreen: !