Help me find best non-PC client for a TV...

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Re: Help me find best non-PC client for a TV...

Post by GetMatt »

foxbat121 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:30 pm
hancox wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:26 pm
foxbat121 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:23 pm
Any Android TV boxes will be better than anything listed here.
I almost went that road, but saw some horror stories with a few of them - anything in mind?
Not sure what horror story you refer to. I have couple different brands and generations of ATV boxes all working. Better than PC and Xbox (see the recent audio issues from teh app).

I mean you already went with two much horrible devices for HDHR TV viewing, FireTV and Roku. Anything else will be better :)

I have used:
Google Nexus Player: still works flawlessly with HDHR app
Mi Box 3: works fine for HDHR app. Firmware update broke the sleep functionality but subsequent update seems fixed it.
Mi Box S: firmware update broke the MPEG2 codec. But HDHR app works around the problem already.
JetStream: works fine without any issues.
nVidia Shield: works fine without any issues with exception that it doesn't support 4K HLG for 4K TV broadcasting with HLG HDR.
Verizon Stream TV: works fine with HDHR TV viewing.
How are all of those better than an Xbox? On price yes they are better except the Shield. But as far as quality, support, etc. in what way is say a Mi Box better than and Xbox One?

BTW I have Mi Box 3, Mi Box S, FireTV 4K, Nexus Player and 2 Xbox Ones. The nexus crapped out after 2 years. Mi Box S and 3 work fine, but require a hard reboot too often to keep working and the Fire TV 4K is sluggish and often freezes when loading streaming apps. Our Xboxs have never failed to work correctly, are much faster and work great with HDHR. Image quality is far superior on Xbox than the Mi Box.

The one advantage of AndroidTV over Xbox is that we can use the Channels DVR app for recording TV Anywhere streams. Once HDHR has DRM working then that becomes a non-issue. Channels DVR has some nice features (automatic commercial skip), but otherwise we don't really like the organization of it.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I don't think anyone said better than xbox but the past 2-3 days many on xbox may have disagreed as android was "flawless" compared to win10/xbox experience. What was being said was they were better than roku/fire and do require consideration. For the primary TV I would always have both xbox and shield available and often a HTPC. For secondary TVs I do think all the Android TV devices mentioned work well (but personally would stay away from Mi, though would pick it over fire/roku any day). They all have their own issues and my results with the **** Stream make me lean toward it (at the current price) as I don't mind its quirks at that price but would hate seeing any quirks on a $200 device. Right now my order of preference is ****, Verizon, Jetstream, and in many of my locations ethernet interface on verizon or jetstream may put those above **** and if **** increases the price as expected, I would probably move it down in that list. There is room for xbox or shield in front of any of those but I expect a lot more from them and an xbox doesn't always fit in for every location and often they don't give me any more.

I have also had very good luck with the various windows 10 mini PC's based on celeron/pentium provided they support a ssd and not limited to emmc and I try to get ones with at least 4GB RAM.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

What he said ^.

I have to say is that Xbox One (I have One and One S) user experience is just not that great. It took too long to boot up. And more often than not, I was forced to take an 30 to 40 minutes console update before it can do anything (where is the twice annual update schedule? Now it seems monthly update or quarterly updates). Then have to navigate to find the HDHR app and open it. A poor experience, IMO, than dedicated stream boxes. Not to mention the size of the box. Android app is relatively stable (aside from the recent issues just before the Xbox/Win10 issues). And the other streaming service apps are just better on these Android box than the counter parts on Xbox.

Shield is overrated and overprices for sure. And overkill for HDHR viewing because the AI upscaling on the 2019 Shields are not supported for HDHR app.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

hancox wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:56 am
The fire stick is a pretty poor performer, but was cheap. It works pretty well on most apps, but is showing annoying video stuttering on the HDHomeRun app.

a 4K fire tv is out, due to issues with codecs
IMO, the 4K Fire Stick was a pretty significant performance upgrade over the non-4K. Navigation has been smooth and responsive. I watch OTA TV through Kodi (via TVHeadend) and it plays great, no stuttering. Haven't really used the HDHomeRun app but there are some threads on this forum to check out, seems like there have been some bugs squashed lately.

What's the codec issue with the 4K Fire Stick?

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt »

foxbat121 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:33 am
What he said ^.

I have to say is that Xbox One (I have One and One S) user experience is just not that great. It took too long to boot up. And more often than not, I was forced to take an 30 to 40 minutes console update before it can do anything (where is the twice annual update schedule? Now it seems monthly update or quarterly updates). Then have to navigate to find the HDHR app and open it. A poor experience, IMO, than dedicated stream boxes. Not to mention the size of the box. Android app is relatively stable (aside from the recent issues just before the Xbox/Win10 issues). And the other streaming service apps are just better on these Android box than the counter parts on Xbox.

Shield is overrated and overprices for sure. And overkill for HDHR viewing because the AI upscaling on the 2019 Shields are not supported for HDHR app.
I see... setup is key.
Xbox has "Instant On" and background updates (while in sleep) which I have turned on. I have not waited for an OS update to watch TV or use a streaming app. You can also program the OneGuide button on the media remote to open HDHR and pin it to the top of your apps. As far as boot time with quick boot turned on we have our Harmony setup with a 5 second delay in auto loading the HDHR app.

I have however had to restarted my AnroidTV boxes multiple times and that boot sequence is brutal. They come out of sleep pretty quick though just like the Xbox does with instant on. I think the issue is that AndroidTV uses sleep as the default setting while Xbox does not.

I will say that when loading non-pinned apps on Xbox it does take more button presses than on Android.

We also very much like that Xbox One S has a built in IR blaster which is nice because none of our TVs have HDMI CEC which allows us to control our whole setup upstairs with just the Xbox Media remote.

Right now all I have to do is say "Alexa Showtime" and the Xbox, stereo, projector, projector screen and lights all turn on / adjust and the Xbox loads the HDHR app w/o having to touch a single button. Usually give that command on the way down stairs so I couldn't even tell you most of the time it take to all turn on, but I do know that my Xbox loads faster than my Projector.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Whenever I use the quick start feature on Xbox, even the old Xbox 360, weired things will happen. So I always turn it off.

hancox

Post by hancox »

tonywagner wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:51 am
hancox wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:56 am
The fire stick is a pretty poor performer, but was cheap. It works pretty well on most apps, but is showing annoying video stuttering on the HDHomeRun app.

a 4K fire tv is out, due to issues with codecs
IMO, the 4K Fire Stick was a pretty significant performance upgrade over the non-4K. Navigation has been smooth and responsive. I watch OTA TV through Kodi (via TVHeadend) and it plays great, no stuttering. Haven't really used the HDHomeRun app but there are some threads on this forum to check out, seems like there have been some bugs squashed lately.

What's the codec issue with the 4K Fire Stick?
Same stuff you're referencing...
Try the HDHomerun native app on the firestick, and i think you'll probably see why I've ruled it out.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

hancox wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 am
Try the HDHomerun native app on the firestick, and i think you'll probably see why I've ruled it out.
Have you considered ruling out the app rather than the device? Watching live and recorded OTA TV is painless for me on a Fire Stick 4K — no HDHomerun app necessary.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

tonywagner wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:15 am
hancox wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 am
Have you considered ruling out the app rather than the device? Watching live and recorded OTA TV is painless for me on a Fire Stick 4K — no HDHomerun app necessary.
Where are you running your TVheadend server?

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

clarkss12 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 am
On a Raspberry Pi 4. USB 3.0 drive attached for video storage. Also, gigabit ethernet connection to the router, right alongside my HDHomerun tuners. (Pi 4 is the first Pi with USB 3.0 and gigabit ethernet, so it's finally suitable as a DVR server for me!)

Edit to add: for reference, here's a link to a pre-compiled TVHeadend that's slightly newer than what's in the official Raspberry Pi repositories:
https://phillw.net/mark/incoming/deb_pa ... tvheadend/

Also, to anyone wanting to run Kodi on a Fire Stick / Fire TV devices: the default Kodi 18 Leia APK had ~200 ms audio sync issue, but this special "fritschfiretv" build of Kodi works perfectly:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/

Tilani

Post by Tilani »

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a 3D MVC capable android tvos box? I have two shields in 4K TVs and was hoping to a box that can play 3D for my projector but still be able to use the live channels interface

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

Tilani wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:53 pm
Does anyone have any reccomendations for a 3D MVC capable android tvos box? I have two shields in 4K TVs and was hoping to a box that can play 3D for my projector but still be able to use the live channels interface
Not sure there is such an animal that you seek, but HDMKV on the Kodi forum is the 3D expert for projectors.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=354168

hancox

Post by hancox »

tonywagner wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:00 am
clarkss12 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 am
On a Raspberry Pi 4. USB 3.0 drive attached for video storage. Also, gigabit ethernet connection to the router, right alongside my HDHomerun tuners. (Pi 4 is the first Pi with USB 3.0 and gigabit ethernet, so it's finally suitable as a DVR server for me!)

Edit to add: for reference, here's a link to a pre-compiled TVHeadend that's slightly newer than what's in the official Raspberry Pi repositories:
https://phillw.net/mark/incoming/deb_pa ... tvheadend/

Also, to anyone wanting to run Kodi on a Fire Stick / Fire TV devices: the default Kodi 18 Leia APK had ~200 ms audio sync issue, but this special "fritschfiretv" build of Kodi works perfectly:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/
This is a very interesting idea. I've been toying with getting a pi for a while, so this may fit the bill.
Any idea of audio capability? It's annoying that i have a transcoding extend that can't get around this on its own.

3579mike777

Post by 3579mike777 »

I just got a cheap BMAX Windows 10 mini-computer to replace my laggy Android Box as my DVR. Only $99 with a coupon on Amazon last week. Works pretty well. The guide and channel changing is faster than the Android box, but still sluggish compared to a high powered Windows 10 computer, or even my Samsung S8. But the little thing only used less than 10 watts, so leaving on all the time is not a problem with energy use. I just wish the HDHomerun app as DVR would let the external drive power down when it doesn't need it. My Android box was getting a little glitchy. Interestingly, Kodi plays all my old Windows Media Center files flawlessy on this Win10 mini computer. My old WMC remote works for the most part too.

I do run it at 1080P because all my source files are that resolution at max, so I would rather let my Samsung TV convert the video to 4K and not this under-powered computer.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

hancox wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:32 am
This is a very interesting idea. I've been toying with getting a pi for a while, so this may fit the bill.
Any idea of audio capability? It's annoying that i have a transcoding extend that can't get around this on its own.
If you're asking if the TVHeadend server can transcode audio, it can (video too). Although I don't have it doing any transcoding, Kodi on Fire TV plays the default OTA codecs/bitrates over my wifi network just fine.