Help me find best non-PC client for a TV...

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
hancox

Help me find best non-PC client for a TV...

Post by hancox »

I feel like every one has a significant drawback...

Background - i have 2 clients presently...
1) A non-4k (but otherwise most current) FireTV stick
2) A roku premier+

My issue - the TV I most often stream to is a very old Samsung DLP, which i received for free, and sits in my garage.

For those familiar with ROKU and Samsung and audio, you know this is going to cause problems.
The fire stick is a pretty poor performer, but was cheap. It works pretty well on most apps, but is showing annoying video stuttering on the HDHomeRun app.

I originally bought the Roku to not only get a 4k streamer in the house, but also to potentially replace the fire stick. The very annoying audio issues prevent this from working.

Is there a rock solid client out there, even 2nd hand? Roku is out, a 4K fire tv is out, due to issues with codecs. It seems most android boxes have something wrong. A PC is overkill in my garage.

torb

Re: Help me find best non-PC client for a TV...

Post by torb »

What about Xbox One S? Maybe overkill for your needs, but from a price perspective will slot in between a Roku / FireTV and a PC and performs very well.

Alternately, I'm not tracking the specifics of the Roku audio issue, but what if you picked up a cheap soundbar and just used the TV for video?

hancox

Post by hancox »

torb wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 am
What about Xbox One S? Maybe overkill for your needs, but from a price perspective will slot in between a Roku / FireTV and a PC and performs very well.

Alternately, I'm not tracking the specifics of the Roku audio issue, but what if you picked up a cheap soundbar and just used the TV for video?
somewhat feasible, but the xbox would have a couple of issues:

1) Not natively wifi like the others
2) Takes ages to boot in comparison
3) Much much bigger
4) comparatively a major power hog

...i've thought about the soundbar angle, but it's a bit impractical for my setup. It also is difficult to do cheaply with HDMI decoding the audio.

torb

Post by torb »

Xbox does have native wifi. Usually it stays in low power mode and resumes very fast.

Don't have an answer for the size or power items. Those are legit tradeoffs.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Personally right now unless you want a HTPC, xbox one, or nvidia shield I would say the best out there is probably the T*V0 Stream 4k especially for anyone who would even consider trying such with roku or firetv. The advantage of the shield is that they are more supportive of fixing things on their end when that is the issue. Where almost any other android tv box it may take the next hardware release to address any such problem even if it was an update that caused such issue. I have had 0 issues with the **** stream but already knew of the "keyboard" issue from other android clients in using the number keys but once you get used to completing the entry using the onscreen keyboard if it pops up it isn't much of an issue. There have been some online reports of the remote having issues with some TV's but I haven't had any such issues with the older (pre-CEC) TV's I used it with. To me it is cheap enough (right now, it is expected to go up in price soon) to be considered "disposable" much like the firetv/roku devices.

Yes each device has it's quirks which in my opinion if one isn't willing to work with them, I wouldn't suggest anything other than a PC as at least then the user may have some options to fix such quirks. Keep in mind that no matter what you choose, when using SD's software any update, even on PC'a and xbox's, may make it seem unusable for a few days that isn't always user fixable.

Another option depending on viewing requirements might be an apple tv, and using channels. But that isn't anything I would personally consider because of all the DRM protected channels where I live but If I was on OTA or had comcast as a provider I might consider such.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Any Android TV boxes will be better than anything listed here.

hancox

Post by hancox »

torb wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:19 pm
Xbox does have native wifi. Usually it stays in low power mode and resumes very fast.

Sorry - you're right - forgot the S had wifi onboard - the older ones didn't.
I'll have to revisit the low power/quick start on my S - i could buy my way out of this problem by upgrading to an X. LOL - so much for cheap!

I'm still wondering how nothing non-microsoft (between PCs and XBox) can't be reasonably flawless? It's amazing.

hancox

Post by hancox »

foxbat121 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:23 pm
I almost went that road, but saw some horror stories with a few of them - anything in mind?

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

hancox wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:25 pm
torb wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Sorry - you're right - forgot the S had wifi onboard - the older ones didn't.
All Xbox Ones have WiFi built in. So are all the Xbox 360s. Only 1st Gen Xbox that's before Xbox 360 lacks WiFi.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

hancox wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:26 pm
foxbat121 wrote:
I almost went that road, but saw some horror stories with a few of them - anything in mind?
Not sure what horror story you refer to. I have couple different brands and generations of ATV boxes all working. Better than PC and Xbox (see the recent audio issues from teh app).

I mean you already went with two much horrible devices for HDHR TV viewing, FireTV and Roku. Anything else will be better :)

I have used:
Google Nexus Player: still works flawlessly with HDHR app
Mi Box 3: works fine for HDHR app. Firmware update broke the sleep functionality but subsequent update seems fixed it.
Mi Box S: firmware update broke the MPEG2 codec. But HDHR app works around the problem already.
JetStream: works fine without any issues.
nVidia Shield: works fine without any issues with exception that it doesn't support 4K HLG for 4K TV broadcasting with HLG HDR.
Verizon Stream TV: works fine with HDHR TV viewing.

hancox

Post by hancox »

signcarver wrote:
Personally right now unless you want a HTPC, xbox one, or nvidia shield I would say the best out there is probably the T*V0 Stream 4k especially for anyone who would even consider trying such with roku or firetv. The advantage of the shield is that they are more supportive of fixing things on their end when that is the issue. Where almost any other android tv box it may take the next hardware release to address any such problem even if it was an update that caused such issue. I have had 0 issues with the **** stream but already knew of the "keyboard" issue from other android clients in using the number keys but once you get used to completing the entry using the onscreen keyboard if it pops up it isn't much of an issue. There have been some online reports of the remote having issues with some TV's but I haven't had any such issues with the older (pre-CEC) TV's I used it with. To me it is cheap enough (right now, it is expected to go up in price soon) to be considered "disposable" much like the firetv/roku devices.

Yes each device has it's quirks which in my opinion if one isn't willing to work with them, I wouldn't suggest anything other than a PC as at least then the user may have some options to fix such quirks. Keep in mind that no matter what you choose, when using SD's software any update, even on PC'a and xbox's, may make it seem unusable for a few days that isn't always user fixable.

Another option depending on viewing requirements might be an apple tv, and using channels. But that isn't anything I would personally consider because of all the DRM protected channels where I live but If I was on OTA or had comcast as a provider I might consider such.
I've admittedly looked at the stream 4k, especially at its intro price. i may end up getting it, being a former **** user.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

The reviews on other forums I read indicate Stream 4K is a pile of unfinished crap. But it probably will work just fine with HDHR app on a 2K TV.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

That all I basically use it for, and I think it is even a bit better than the verizon or jetstream and had no issues with netflix or prime... The only real thing that I don't like is the apparent useless usb c port as anything I have connected for ethernet has failed, and even 90% of storage devices have said it didn't recognize it. I've even moved it between a few TV's and have no issue with remote. While others have reported issues with the tv functions of the remote getting lost. The remote may be what I like best as it is very comfortable. The second thing I don't like is the 2 tiles they have locked at the front of favorites as I prefer HDHomeRun to be first but that is just a minor inconvenience.

I personally think the things I have read the most complaints about are "****" things I would never use including certain search functions.

But if the remote ever fails to turn on the TV or control it's volume, I will probably change my praise accordingly for what I expect from it.

hancox

Post by hancox »

foxbat121 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:30 pm
hancox wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:26 pm
foxbat121 wrote:
Not sure what horror story you refer to. I have couple different brands and generations of ATV boxes all working. Better than PC and Xbox (see the recent audio issues from teh app).

I mean you already went with two much horrible devices for HDHR TV viewing, FireTV and Roku. Anything else will be better :)

I have used:
Google Nexus Player: still works flawlessly with HDHR app
Mi Box 3: works fine for HDHR app. Firmware update broke the sleep functionality but subsequent update seems fixed it.
Mi Box S: firmware update broke the MPEG2 codec. But HDHR app works around the problem already.
JetStream: works fine without any issues.
nVidia Shield: works fine without any issues with exception that it doesn't support 4K HLG for 4K TV broadcasting with HLG HDR.
Verizon Stream TV: works fine with HDHR TV viewing.
The 2 mi box issues you noted are what turned me off to both of them.
The nexus is ancient and an orphan, though i suppose a 2nd-hand one would be feasible.
The shield is closest, but my main TV is a Samsung without DV, so HLG is important. It's also comparatively expensive.
The jetstream seems interesting - I'm going to dig on this one a bit more.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

That's just a problem with XiaoMi as a company. Not related to Android TV platforms. Besides, both are working now. And those boxes can be found for dirt cheap sometimes. For example, Walmart sold MiBox S for less than $30 in its final clearance sell.

About HLG, that will be the only format used for HDR in live TV broadcasting in 4K. Verizon has two 4K test channels that broadcast various events from time to time. DV or HDR10 won't be used because there is no way to gather the appropriate HDR meta data before hand for live broadcasting. HLG is supported by Android TV OS since 7.0. Not sure why nVidia dropped it for both generations of Shields.