I Can Not record Premium Comcast Channels

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
DaveSkynet

I Can Not record Premium Comcast Channels

Post by DaveSkynet »

I just signed up for HBO and Showtime through Comcast with my Cable Card. I get the channels just fine, with full surround etc. but I can not record them. When I click the record button it won't record, or when I set it to record in advance such as a movie that starts in two hours it won't record. All the normal cable and OTA channels record just fine. I have had the cable card for a long time, and recording a nonpremium channel has been and still is not a problem.
Thank you.

Jsherman

Re: I Can Not record Premium Comcast Channels

Post by Jsherman »

Most likely those channels are DRM channels. DRM channels cannot be recorded at this time. It is planned in a future update.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

Only Windows 7 and 8 can record and playback DRM channels

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt »

When he says Win7 and Win8 it's specifically Windows Media Center. If you went that route you would need to get 3-party guide data.

Hopefully HDHR DVR will be able to record DRM soon. You are lucky to be on Comcast though as they have very minimal DRM. For most of us everything but basic channels is DRM

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Post by Keenan »

Hopefully. In August it will have been 5 years since the HDHomeRun DVR Kickstarter campaign was expected to deliver on recording protected content. While I do hope SiliconDust finally does reach that goal I stopped holding my breath about 3 years ago. ;)

Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I have COMPLETELY given up on ever using or recording Spectrum with this hardware/software. Still having to keep media center alive.
I did invest in the original kick starter. I cannot believe they have the nerve to ask for ANOTHER kickstarter for apple tv now. For WHAT??? MOST providers DRM the crap out of their service, so what's the point?
Over the air? Please...

The hardware is brilliant! I own one of the original rack mounted 6 tuner HD homerun primes. Still works perfect with Win7.
But the software.... well it sucks. I had great hopes....

Note my post count... I only poke in here in the faintest of hopes of news that this product FINALLY lives up to it's promises... But alas. Like today. And... same news. Still nothing.
I do understand that cable labs certification isn't cheap. But they don't even want to discuss this problem with "US". I wish they'd open a thread SPECIFICALLY on this issue to keep people updated, but
somehow I doubt it will ever happen.

Sigh..... sorry about the rant.... but don't hold your breath.

DaveSkynet

Post by DaveSkynet »

Thank you for the info, everybody! This confirms what I have been thinking.
How about THIS idea? I would pay more for the DVR part of this service if it would include DRM override. Would anybody else do that? Can a Mod or Admin, or somebody in a position of power comment on or answer this idea? Also, just how much does it cost to override the DRM? The reason that it's so important to me is I want to be able to edit some of the shows.
The digital recorder on this is buggy and sometimes a PITA, but I'll say one thing for it: The OTA machines they sell here are incredibly SENSITIVE as in the old FM sensitivity days, where certain specs will tell you how an FM tuner would pull in stations. How do I know this? In Ill, CBS is a broadcast BASKET :twisted: CASE. Wisconsin was going to sue them for interference, so years ago, CBS succumbed and lowered their power! I used the Hauppage computer card, (PCI Slot) and it never got CBS. Then I turned to the Cat's Eye 3560 and that got it 75% of the time. The HDHomeRun gets it about 99.5% of the time!
To reiterate, what will it take for you guys to MAKE THIS HAPPEN? :ugeek:

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

DRM "override" isn't really possible as it would cost at least $100,000,000 and end up disabling any prime from even being able work with cablecard.