DVR - disabling log file?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bluescreenoftom

DVR - disabling log file?

Post by bluescreenoftom »

Question for the devs of the DVR software --

I have "Use the PC for making recordings" checked, and I have a dedicated drive in the machine for recording, so I set that drive. Unfortunately, it seems the HDHR software writes to a log file every two minutes or so, which prevents that drive from going to sleep when it's not in use. Is there a way to turn this off? I'd like the drive to sleep when I'm not using it.

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: DVR - disabling log file?

Post by signcarver »

It is a requirement that the drive doesn't go to sleep else it takes too long to be ready when needed.

bluescreenoftom

Taking two seconds to spin up when I launch the software or when it begins recording is too long? While I'm not disputing that that's the given reason, that sounds fishy to me.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

bluescreenoftom wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:35 pm
Taking two seconds to spin up when I launch the software or when it begins recording is too long? While I'm not disputing that that's the given reason, that sounds fishy to me.
I concur. I keep my DVR drive as an external USB3 drive that regularly sleeps after 30 mins of inactivity. When using that drive—albeit with different DVR software—I have never had a problem with a loss of data while the system buffered the stream to be written while the drive spun up.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Most of our testing was with NAS drives/boxes where it would commonly take 12 seconds for the drives to spin up and respond with data.

bluescreenoftom

Is it possible to add an option to reduce/remove the logging when a PC is being used rather than a NAS Box? Or perhaps allow us to change the drive on which the log resides?