A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all the cable services

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
tachtevrenidis

A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all the cable services

Post by tachtevrenidis »

what does this mean?

19700101-00:00:17 CableCARD: message: A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all the cable services at this time. Please call your cable operator and report error code 161-0 to have this problem resolved.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all the cable services

Post by signcarver »

It can mean a million things or nothing to be concerned with at all. Based on the time given I'd lean towards the later unless nothing (particularly encrypted) is working, and you need to take such in context not as a single statement.

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis »

the log verbiage is pretty damning :-)

I don't have any encrypted content (that I am entitled to access anyway)

mimmic

Post by mimmic »

is this new cable service or changing tuners? It definitely sounds like your cable card isn't provisioned right. I had that issue for 2-3 weeks when I moved to my current provided (about 6 months ago). All of their techs thought they had done it right, eventually their chat support was able to get it right.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

In the past I frequently have seen such whenever card is reset and even a power cycle. Without more to go on I can only base my opinions based on that the event happened 17 seconds from such reset type event and prior to the time being obtained which is why I wouldn't worry about seeing such based on just seeing that and wouldn't jump to provisioning given the time it occured. My understanding is that all 161-x errors are only a problem when still being repeated after an hour or so from the initial event (though during setup you might see it over 4-6 hours as hits come through) or if they happen when performing a certain task (such as always happening when tuning a particular channel or running a scan)

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The specific text is dictated by one of the CableCARD standards. The numbers are supposed to tell you exactly what went wrong with the CableCARD. There are some codes that have meaning, like -64 means some moron gave you a single-stream card instead of a multi-stream card. -0 basically means undefined, usually indicating the card wants to be rebooted for some reason. Often this is just a sign that the card has been validated or received a hit for the channel packages and needs a reboot for that to take effect, so it's not an error so much as the CableCARD equivalent of an installation program on a Windows PC telling you that you need to reboot for changes to take effect. The card can't just reboot itself, it needs to send a message to the host that it wants to reboot, and then the host tells it to reboot, and that's what the -0 code does.