Replacing Series Image

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
msuckow

Replacing Series Image

Post by msuckow »

After migrating WMC recordings to HDHomeRun using MCEBuddy (2.5.2), the series image is blank. This makes sense as MCEBuddy doesn't know which series ID and image the DVR would use.

I have tried to modify the metadata to correct the problem. If I add, for example, "ImageURL":"https://img.hdhomerun.com/titles/C8312617ENHGMV.jpg" from a HDHomeRun-recorded episode to a migrated episode, for a different show, it will work but it will be the wrong image.
I have tried substituting the image URL with no success. Either, the image needs to be a precise size or the parser doesn't accept a URL that doesn't originate at img.hdhomerun.com/titles.

Any insights would be appreciated.

jasonl
Expert

Re: Replacing Series Image

Post by jasonl »

I believe it has to be from an hdhomerun domain because of OS security limitations when loading mixed HTTP (device channel lineup and DVR recording list) and HTTPS (everything else) data. HTTPS is a great thing, but getting HTTPS working on local devices isn't an easy problem to solve since it either has extremely high costs (giving every device and every DVR a 100% valid security certificate), requires people to act against what their browser tells them to do and trust a not-so-valid certificate, or involves doing something really dumb like installing a new root certificate on every device to make the not-so-valid certificates valid. Doing anything else would likely require industry-wide collaboration.

msuckow

Re: Replacing Series Image

Post by msuckow »

jasonl wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:32 pm
I believe it has to be from an hdhomerun domain because of OS security limitations when loading mixed HTTP (device channel lineup and DVR recording list) and HTTPS (everything else) data. HTTPS is a great thing, but getting HTTPS working on local devices isn't an easy problem to solve since it either has extremely high costs (giving every device and every DVR a 100% valid security certificate), requires people to act against what their browser tells them to do and trust a not-so-valid certificate, or involves doing something really dumb like installing a new root certificate on every device to make the not-so-valid certificates valid. Doing anything else would likely require industry-wide collaboration.
I suspect you're right. The DVR must be preventing the loading of an image from another site.
This probably means that I am dead in the water, unless there is a way to query the image database externally.

@nateb @NedS @nickk; do you guys have any thoughts on this matter?