Transition from HDHomerun to Channels and keep old recordings?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
showmeTV

Transition from HDHomerun to Channels and keep old recordings?

Post by showmeTV »

My family tends to prefer a grid guide to a slice view so I've made the decision to move to the Channels DVR in the near future in order to get a grid guide and to also experiment with "TV Everywhere" options.

I am currently running the HDHomerun DVR on an Nvidia Shield and would prefer to keep the current set of recordings.

Before I attempt to install the Channels DVR on the same Nvidia Shield ... is there a way to "deactivate" just the HDHomerun DVR functionality and retain the recordings for later viewing in the HDHomerun application (or Kodi)?

Maybe I can somehow disassociate my Prime tuner from the HDHomerun DVR so no "Live" streams can be viewed but the recordings would still be available?

Can someone guide me how to do that? Or are there any other ideas to stop the HDHomerun DVR service but keep the recordings?

jrpatx
Device ID: 1056BDB2, 10727095

Re: Transition from HDHomerun to Channels and keep old recordings?

Post by jrpatx »

Your existing recordings are stored as unencrypted .mpg files in your DVR folder. You can move or copy them to wherever you want or leave them where they are if you've got the space and you're confident the new DVR service won't overwrite or corrupt that DVR folder. You can play those files with almost any media player app. VLC does a good job of streaming them over my network and allowing easy pause/seek control.

If all you're really after is a grid-style guide, give the unofficial Kodi add-on a look. It gives you a nice Kodi PVR GUI and all the typical DVR functionality, like pause/seek control while a recording is still in progress, and of course it uses a grid-style guide. It leverages the $35 DVR subscription you already have rather than shelling out another $80. Best thing about it is the support you'll get from the author of the add-on right here on this forum under the Kodi Community section!

Jay

Post by Jay »

Owner of multiple Homerun devices (2 prime and 1 dual tuner). Can honestly say the move to Channels with the HD tuners has the best experience since Windows Media Center back in the day. Wife much prefers the options for recordings, as well as the guide vs. slice view.

Definetely do not uninstall the HD Homerun software as that wipes out your recordings (at least when I did it last). My advice is hide the HD app on whatever streaming box you use and then you don't have to mess with anything. Also, I point my Plex server library to where my HD recordings are kept, thus I still have access in a user friendly format.

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker »

I run Plex and WMC, as my family and I prefer a grid guide as well. WMC still gives us the option of a grid guide and recording DRM channels. Plex allows us to watch live tv when on the road. Both, for my family, have a much more preferable UI than HDHomerun.