Same Program on Two Channels - Priority Option

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
themusj

Same Program on Two Channels - Priority Option

Post by themusj »

I am recording a program where one channel gives better quality than another. The program is on two different channels at different times. Is there anyway to choose which channel records the program? I don't want to block out the other channel completely as it is recording other programs uniquely.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Same Program on Two Channels - Priority Option

Post by NedS »

The HDHomeRun app won't expose the channel-specific recording rule for programs, but you can install demonrik's awesome web interface on your NAS to do this: viewtopic.php?f=116&t=69564

Adding a recording rule through his web UI will expose an option to isolate the task/rule to a specific channel.

Having this option in our native HDHomeRun app would be very useful.

themusj

Post by themusj »

Looks very interesting. Will this work on a WD MyCloud EXT2 Ultra NAS and or a single drive MyCloud NAS. I have both.

themusj

Post by themusj »

I have the folder HDHR-DVRUI-master downloaded. I see my WD MyCloud Ext2 Ultra NAS doesn't see it containing a manual app to install. So this is new territory for me if anyone can point me in the right direction. I work full time in IT so I can apply myself if I just given the right material to read. Of course, maybe this won't work in my environment?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

All you need is to put the files in a web server (that supports php). WD sometimes makes it hard to get a server running and survive reboots/firmware updates. Though you may wish to look at accomplishing such, you might find it easier to use something like xampp on a pc. I recently picked up an ex2 after years without one and will probably take a closer look at doing such.

I used to host a page (just html/javascript) that people could use but then SD altered their CORS policy so your browser couldn't use my site and detect the tuners ( at least without disabling certain security features, which i would never ask people to do)... I'm not going to argue about such change as it was possible a nefarious site could delete your rules, recordings, disable channels etc.without you even knowing until you went to watch it.

themusj

Post by themusj »

I see there is an app for Word Press and php Admin. Will that get me in the right direction with my WD NAS?

themusj

Post by themusj »

I just installed XAMPP on my Windows 10 box. This maybe to much too ask or too involved. I don't assume there is an easy way to configure it {Apache} I assume and install demonrik's awesome web interface without a lot of pain? Just on my home LAN of course.

I can read and so I am willing to try if I am in the right direction.

BTW, if I get this running on my Windows 10 PC, will it need to be up and running 24/7 for the rules and changes to keep in place. Ie., the rule to make one channel the only channel to record a given series.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Rules are in the cloud, you only need access to the web pages when you wish to add rules with such options. What is needed is that the server of those web pages must connect to sd from the same public ip as the tuners as it uses http discovery (the server is doing the discovery so no cors violation.

I'll look at putting wordpress on an ex ultra and see what/where you need to put things

For xampp download demonrik's package (typically from github click on clone then download (i believe) which downloads a zip. Then put the folder ( not the zip file, i just open the zip with file explorer then copy the folder in it) in the htdocs folder (usually c:\xampp\htdocs and the folder copied is something like HDHR-DVRUI-master) then assuming xampp (apache) is running you would access (from same machine) as http://127.0.0.1/HDHR-DVRUI-master/app

Which matches the folder name in htdocs. (I believe it is /app but you may leave off the /app and "explore")

One thing to note that unlike my pages which allow editing an existing rule, avdp felt just make a new rule... so you aren't editing a rule but creating a rule (search for the show).

themusj

Post by themusj »

Cool. I have it up and running. I'll investigate it now. I see the rules and the shows. Up arrow, down arrow and an x so far. I'll look at the webpage on it and see if it gives the details for creating a rule as you say. Many thanks!

themusj

Post by themusj »

I see, I need to get here, "And finally one last feature worth speaking of.. In addition to the same rules you can do withe the View Application, the HDHR-DVRUI has an option to setup more complex rules through our Advanced Rules tool."

How do I get there?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Search for the name of the show then click on advanced (might be Adv.)

themusj

Post by themusj »

Beautiful! Worked like a charm so it looks like. I made the specific channel selection, went back to my tasks, and of the two channels only the one I selected is marked to record.!

So cool. Now I look forward to the day when scheduling conflicts is finally available. I hate missing shows because I overloaded the tuner not seeing the conflict.

Thank you for your great help!