Automatic Deletion of HDHomeRun DVR Recordings

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
kenchills

Re: Automatic Deletion of HDHomeRun DVR Recordings

Post by kenchills »

Yes, this!
I have always wanted this auto-delete/recording space management feature for the HomeRun DVR.
I could never understand why this was not included from the beginning.
Every month or so I have to manually go through the recordings and delete old episodes.
Since I use a PC as DVR, I just go in through the file explorer and do mass deletes.

Robsonline

Post by Robsonline »

Yes, please add this feature! Your DVR is the most stable one I have used; however, lacking this basic feature keeps me using a competing product. It is very frustrating as the other DVR is not as reliable, but it does give me the ability to record news or daily reporting shows that if I decide to watch, I can; however, on subsequent recordings, I want them deleted even if they have not been watched. If would be fantastic if I could go back to just one DVR solution instead of having to rely on multiple because no one solution works for me. Thank you for your hard work on this!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Out of interest, how much disk space do you have for DVR use?

Personally I just let everything record, I don't delete anything.

A-TV-viewer

Post by A-TV-viewer »

nickk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:58 am Out of interest, how much disk space do you have for DVR use?

Hi Nick, the space is not necessarily the problem. Deleting shows that have limited value after some time period, such as, the weather, or local news is just a waste of time. Having the ability to select the maximum number of episodes to keep on a first-in-first-out basis would be great. Also, the option to store for X days. ;)

PS has anyone else noticed the delete program bug? If you go to the oldest recording in a list and delete it, HDHomeRun jumps to the new second oldest recording and not the new oldest. If you delete within the list it behaves as expected.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

A-TV-viewer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:48 pm
nickk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:58 am Out of interest, how much disk space do you have for DVR use?

PS has anyone else noticed the delete program bug? If you go to the oldest recording in a list and delete it, HDHomeRun jumps to the new second oldest recording and not the new oldest. If you delete within the list it behaves as expected.
I just tested it with an old episode of Jimmy Kimmel and the oldest copy was able to delete. What platform/OS did you see this on? It might be a platform specific issue.

rkkeller

Post by rkkeller »

I would like this feature too. It is on every other DVR I have used and surprised it is not there.

I am not saying this next parts to sound badly, but I really think whoever designs this software might not be a cord cutter or really watch a lot of TV. Many many basic features on every other DVR, are missing. It is like whoever never used a DVR before and then put in charge of designing it. :D Another example is full screen guide? Who thought of that, certainly not a long time DVR user, as the guide is one of the single most important things. It was one of the very first things I looked for.

I been using TiVo's over 20 years now and I watch NOTHING live, I even record the 6pm news. I do not need unlimited episodes of the news and many other shows. I only need to keep 1 or 2 of 95% of what I record.

I think SD needs to separate the "mass storage" people who save countless hours of anything and the people that are more selective and only want to keep a few things.

Karter

Post by Karter »

I say ''YES'' to this....
Even though, I doubt I would ever use it

A-TV-viewer

Post by A-TV-viewer »

NedS wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:22 pm
A-TV-viewer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:48 pm

I just tested it with an old episode of Jimmy Kimmel and the oldest copy was able to delete. What platform/OS did you see this on? It might be a platform specific issue.
I have two fire-TV sticks a gen1 and 4k, Windows 10, and iPad. I've have repeated the exercise on all of them tonight with the same response. I'll break down the steps
  • On the "Recorded" screen open a series with multiple recordings
  • Scroll down / select the recording at the bottom of the list (the last item is now highlighted blue)
  • Select the trashcan to delete the recording
  • (The list color changes to red) select delete (The recording is removed from the list)
  • I would expect the new highlighted recording to be the last item in the list but on all my systems the HDHomeRun app highlights the recording one up from the last recording.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

A-TV-viewer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:12 pm I have two fire-TV sticks a gen1 and 4k, Windows 10, and iPad. I've have repeated the exercise on all of them tonight with the same response. I'll break down the steps
  • On the "Recorded" screen open a series with multiple recordings
  • Scroll down / select the recording at the bottom of the list (the last item is now highlighted blue)
  • Select the trashcan to delete the recording
  • (The list color changes to red) select delete (The recording is removed from the list)
  • I would expect the new highlighted recording to be the last item in the list but on all my systems the HDHomeRun app highlights the recording one up from the last recording.
We see it now, will report it to the dev team.