FreeNAS / HDHomeRun DVR installation.

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bspvette86

FreeNAS / HDHomeRun DVR installation.

Post by bspvette86 »

Two things:

1) Curious if anyone is aware why the freenas setup instructions are blank: https://my.hdhomerun.com/instructions/freenas/

2) I have it working in a FreeNAS jail by my own setup but am wondering if SiliconDust is working on a downloadable Plugin/Package. If so, is there a Beta for it that I could provide feedback?

Regards,
Karl

EDIT: Used these instructions https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:linux as a basis for the jail installation

emg60060

Re: FreeNAS / HDHomeRun DVR installation.

Post by emg60060 »

Congrats on getting FreeNAS working for you. I created 2 Cron jobs to make management just a little easier. It is a completely hands-off appliance that I happen to run on VMWare.

1. Delete log files older than 15 days, scheduled to run daily at midnight
find /mnt/data/HDHomeRun/*.log -mtime +15 -type f -delete

2. Make sure the record engine is running, scheduled to run every 10 minutes (especially helpful when I need to reboot)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
HDHR=$(pgrep -u root hdhomerun_record_)
HDHRENG=$(ls /mnt/data/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun_record_freebsd_*)
DIR=$(dirname "${HDHRENG}")
if [$HDHR -eq ""]
then
        sleep 5
        $HDHRENG start --conf $DIR/hdhomerun.conf
fi

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Some of the my.hdhomerun links are supposed to point to the info pages, but we haven't had time to really dive into cleaning it up yet.

As far as something more easily installable, it's on the list of things to look into. There's a lot of things on that list, but it's on there.

zw633

Post by zw633 »

How did you gentlemen resolve the DNLA/UuPnP issue.

I'm a newb to FreeNAS and what I've been able to Google ...... it's daunting as to what you need to do :cry: :cry:

zw633

Post by zw633 »

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Just use the manual install instructions: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:linux

zw633

Post by zw633 »

OK so I finally was successful in getting HDHR installed on my FreeNAS ..... Doing the manual install was not the answer, it kept saying that the HDHomeRun Share wasn't there ... even though it was. Even then I had to use a utility to enable DLNA (miniDLNA) to see the FreeNAS in the popup dialog box ... and probably the tuner(s).

Now my problem is that only 2 of my programs show up in the "Recorded" tab. All of my "Tasks" seem to be present. Will the "Recorded" populate over time. it was only a few minutes, or is something else wrong. I randomly recorded a "live" show, and it's going OK. I had updated my folders from my previous install on a Qnap ..... nothing else became visible. Tonight I have a scheduled recording happening .... I hope that'll be OK.

Is there a way to verify both of my tuners ( OTA 2X and 4X ) are present??

I'm glad it got this far .... many Googles filled in pieces ...

TIA

zw633

Post by zw633 »

I take back that it was showing 2 of previously recorded shows. it was trying to record them, but had already been on file.

Do I have to delete ALL previously recorded shows and copy them back while HDHR is active on the FreeNAS ?????

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

zw633 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:08 pm
OK so I finally was successful in getting HDHR installed on my FreeNAS ..... Doing the manual install was not the answer, it kept saying that the HDHomeRun Share wasn't there ... even though it was. Even then I had to use a utility to enable DLNA (miniDLNA) to see the FreeNAS in the popup dialog box ... and probably the tuner(s).
That isn't a manual install as no share is needed for such and no dlna required what you did was a NAS install which last I heard requires linux not (free)bsd

For manual you do such via ssh or terminal.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

zw633 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Now my problem is that only 2 of my programs show up in the "Recorded" tab. All of my "Tasks" seem to be present. Will the "Recorded" populate over time. it was only a few minutes, or is something else wrong. I randomly recorded a "live" show, and it's going OK. I had updated my folders from my previous install on a Qnap ..... nothing else became visible. Tonight I have a scheduled recording happening .... I hope that'll be OK.

Is there a way to verify both of my tuners ( OTA 2X and 4X ) are present??

I'm glad it got this far .... many Googles filled in pieces ...

TIA
As far as I can see, there is no FreeNAS based-DVR showing up for your account. There is an older DVR install that I assume was your QNAP running "20180403beta1", that was updated but not completely, only going to version "20200121beta1". I'm not sure what you've done, but it isn't following any of the instructions I've recommended to you. I would suggest you start there.

averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Post by averyfreeman »

bspvette86 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:54 pm
Two things:

1) Curious if anyone is aware why the freenas setup instructions are blank: https://my.hdhomerun.com/instructions/freenas/

2) I have it working in a FreeNAS jail by my own setup but am wondering if SiliconDust is working on a downloadable Plugin/Package. If so, is there a Beta for it that I could provide feedback?

Regards,
Karl

EDIT: Used these instructions https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:linux as a basis for the jail installation
When I used to run FreeNAS (at least 3-4 years ago) I just made a blank jail and threw the HDHomeRun_Record app in it.

Shortly afterwards I ditched FreeNAS for FreeBSD.

averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Post by averyfreeman »

signcarver wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:57 pm
last I heard requires linux not (free)bsd
FreeBSD version was released around the same time as Linux version, has been around at least a couple years. I still use it on my backup server, switched to Alpine Linux on my primary for some reason (not sure why, not really any advantage).

But yeah, the FreeBSD version is definitely a thing.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

What i was referring to was using the NAS install feature of windows... last i heard such would only install the linux build not the bsd build.

zw633

Post by zw633 »

Sorry for being gone so long ..... been busy at work and with projects in the yard ....

So let's start from scratch.

FreeNAS 11.3-U3.2

Manually made a jail.

downloaded/installed HDHR as per Linux manual

HDHR shows that it starts/stops fine

In shell I can ping the outside world fine and both tuners.

RecordPath=/mnt/Nessy/iocage/jails/HDomeRun/root/HDHR line in .conf file pointing to mount point of jail.
going to this directory reveiles the correct directory tree of recording directory
Mount Point :
Source:/mnt/Nessy/MultiMedia/HDHR
Destination:/mnt/Nessy/iocage/jails/HDHomeRun/root/HDHR
/mnt/Nessy/MultiMedia/HDHR is actual path

when running and the instance on the Qnap is stopped, going to a client says that the DVR isn't running. No recordings are showing ..... nothing. The round DVR icon on the baseline isn't showing. This is after waiting 20 minutes or so after it is running. I need to keep the Qnap online for scheduled recordings to happen. For now the Qnap is stopped and the FreeNAS is active. I'll have to switch again at about 11:45 CDST.

I've learned quite a bit about FreeNAS during this endeavor ...... lots more to learn .......

TIA ... Kevin

emg60060

Post by emg60060 »

I've been running FreeNAS on VMWare for a while, but my setup is simple. I'm not using a jail. I have a boot disk and a ZFS data volume with a Samba shared folder. Since I'm lazy, I have the hdhomerun.conf and hdhomerun_record engine in the root of the folder. That way I can replace the record engine whenever a new version is available by just mapping a drive to the shared folder and moving the new file in. I also have 2 cron jobs, one to start the recording engine if it ever stops or on reboot, and another to delete old log files. I started with a single disk in the ZFS pool, and then added another disk to the pool to add space. Its possible to expand a drive, but I was recording some sports that were going to fill the drive and didn't feel like taking the time to look up the commands to expand the volume. Adding another virtual disk to the pool was easy.